Bike dropped - fair compensation?

cmh_sprint

^^^lolz I've always wanted to drop kick my bike.

I'd be like restored whip to howit was when I brought it in. You don't take your car to my garage and when I smash your front bumper into a wall you only want some cheap bondo and spray, you want a daggon new bumper I tell you what

Stopped to look at the damage today, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Props to Thiel's, i enquired about a new fairing and they had no problem with that and a few smaller issues I found. I should have my new fairing in about a month. Happy customer in the end.

Shit happens to all companies. The good ones step up and fix it.

Took my dog to our a groomer and they called me a couple hours later to say there had been a problem. The dog is only 8lbs and the skin between her knee and belly is paper thin so when they used the clippers to trim the hair right there they cut right into the skin. They were real apologetic and told me they would pay for the vet bills.

Had to take the dog to an emergency vet - she needed 14 stitches. Cost about $350. Once the stitches were out a couple weeks later and I had the final $ amount from the vet I wrote the groomer a letter and included the bill.

Couple days later the groomer called - the guy was beside himself with worry because he had no idea how much it would cost, he was running a family business that couldn't afford to take a big hit and he also didn't know if I was going to be a dick about it and try to sue him for stupid money or trash his reputation around town. I asked if he got my letter yet - he said no, but the mail just arrived. I told him to read the letter and call me back.

He read; "Please find enclosed the vet bill we discussed. I wanted to say I appreciate your honesty and candor in quickly reporting this so we could get her treated right away. We all make mistakes and I understand that. If it's ok with you we'd like to still bring our dogs to you for grooming."

Then he called me back and simply said; "God bless you."

• 10 months later...

Finally I can say that this has come to a close, 10 months and 1 week after it began. The last 6 months have been spent dealing with incompetence from both Thiel's and Triumph. The issue has been that triumph made minor changes to the fairings on my bike between the '06 and '07 model year to help reduce some heat issues. Triumph sent the incorrect fairings on 2 occasions even after I sent detailed pictures showing the differences. After absolutely losing my mind in the Thiels parts department in December, Thiels and Triumph decided that the best solution was to ship me new left and right side fairings for my bike. I found out today that they are in and waiting for me to pick them up. I have left a significant amount of details out and I'm glad to finally close this chapter.

My bikes got all kinds of scratches already (from dropping it while trying to pretend it is an off-road bike :D). Id take the free service :)

However if my bike was pristine I'd want a new fairing.

Craig

edit:

Read the most recent posts. Wow, that is an annoying delay. Glad its finally resolved.

PS Paul don't be getting sloppy working on my bike just because I wouldn't notice one more scratch or nick :D

Edited by CBBaron

Good to hear, Matt.

Now take those babies home and put them on yourself. I wouldn't trust them to do the job.

Funny you say that. The first they said after telling me they were in, "We'd like to have you ride your bike up so we can put them on for you to make sure they fit". Translated, ride your bike up so we can put these new fairings on and keep your old ones to sell. I politely declined their offer.

Funny you say that. The first they said after telling me they were in, "We'd like to have you ride your bike up so we can put them on for you to make sure they fit". Translated, ride your bike up so we can put these new fairings on and keep your old ones to sell. I politely declined their offer.

They won't keep the fairings, man. But, Thiel's has gone in to the shitter since a lot of the key employees have left since the sale of the shop. That's a shame. I used to be the Sales Manager there and grew up there. Under Larry and the Thiel family, it was a great shop and we treated everyone the best we could. Small town needed to make the best relationships possible or we'd be out in the cold on return customers.

The way I look at it, it sounds like the parts guys are clueless. There is NO REASON a fairing should take 30 days to get here. A bike coming across the ocean takes less time than that. If it was ordered properly and with urgency, it should have been there in about 3-5 days.

They won't keep the fairings, man. But, Thiel's has gone in to the shitter since a lot of the key employees have left since the sale of the shop. That's a shame. I used to be the Sales Manager there and grew up there. Under Larry and the Thiel family, it was a great shop and we treated everyone the best we could. Small town needed to make the best relationships possible or we'd be out in the cold on return customers.

The way I look at it, it sounds like the parts guys are clueless. There is NO REASON a fairing should take 30 days to get here. A bike coming across the ocean takes less time than that. If it was ordered properly and with urgency, it should have been there in about 3-5 days.

I couldn't agree more on both bolded items. The Service Manager I made my appointment with 2 weeks before I took my bike in knew his shit and was very nice. He was gone by the time my appointment rolled around and it went downhill from there. The last service person I was dealing with was just short of licking windows for a profession. When he called me in December to let me know the second fairing was in I asked him if he verified it was the correct one, because I didn't want to drive an hour for the same problem. He insured me it was. I show up, the box had never been opened, the foam wrap on the panel was still factory sealed. That's when I went ape shit. Then he had the nerve to call me 2 weeks later to ask me to take the fairing off my bike and bring it to them so they could look at it after I had sent them 2 sets of detailed pictures showing the difference in shape and size. Needless to say that interaction did not end well. That was the last communication with them until today. They did right and took care of the issue in the end but they will never see my bike or me again.