Gap Trip Preparedness Thread

2talltim

OK folks we are a month away, now i know I'm no ones papa but i wanted to reiterate how important it is to have your shit ready and worthy. I know a lot of this is going to be repeat and a no brainier for some folks but for the ones it helps that why I'm doing it, and I'm no expert so if anyone sees where I'm in error or misunderstood just chime in.

The roads down there are no joke, and fun all at the same time. There is very little cell service in the areas we will be riding and very few places to run to get help. Plus services and places to get supplies are few and far between.

#1 Take and wear your gear. DOT helmets are required by state law, but i highly recommend a good full face. Other things i feel are a must down there are riding jacket with some armor, leather gloves, and boots that protect your ankles.

#2 Make sure your machine is in tip top shape. Tires are huge, please make sure your tires are at least 50% or more before you come down. There is a place to get tires down there but be prepared to pay a premium. Other things i would check before you go is brake pads, chain and sprocket, plugs, fuel filter, brake fluid(flush), coolant(flush, if its been awhile), lights, and do a over all check of bolts and fasteners that could be loose.

Other things i would suggest for riding are, rain gear, tank or tail bag, bungee net, zip ties, couple basic tools(OEM tool kits are great), kick stand puck, zip lock baggies, something to clean your visor with, phone charger, air gage, pocket flashlight.

Things to throw in the truck if your hauling. Tool box, with your basic things you would need to fix the simple things. Some oil, brake fluid, coolant. Extra levers or pegs if you have them laying around(you never know). Air compressor or pump(i always take my little pancake compressor along). Extra straps or tie downs. Maybe even a small gas can. Now these are thing i hope i never need but if there is room in the trailer, why not?

Now there are some small ma and pop places to get snacks and drinks but if you want to find what you want at a decent price i would hit one of the super markets in Maryville or Alcoa on the way in. And top off all your tanks while there, especially if its late things close up early out of town.

OK i have a little more to add but I'm at work and i ran out of time to add it and proof read this so ill make corrections and proof read this later.

All you gap pros please chime in and help the noobs prepare for this trip so all can have a good time with out worries.

For the ones that arent mechanicly inclined, if you are unsure about your machine being ready to go just ask me or some of the other members to look over your bike. Id rather take time out my schedule to put a extra set of eyes on your bike and maybe catch something you didnt. I usually have a freind look over mine before a long trip.

Updated ideas from others mentioned below:

Water, Water, Water...stay hydrated..maybe a camel bac

Cash..not all these mom and pops take cards

Ear plugs..for loud bikes and roomies

Mp3 or Ipod

Gold Bond or monkey butt powder

Under armor or Dri lock under shirt and shorts

Map of area incase you get seperated

Notice: Ohio CHL will not cover you in GA you will need a FL or PA non resident CHL

Good info on this killboy video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWEqr9rkAsg&feature=channel&list=UL

Edited by 2talltim

Also if you only have an Ohio CHL please know that Georgia does not reciprocate.

In other words you cannot legally carry in Georgia.

If you have your Ohio and Florida CHL you are good to go to carry in Georgia.

Check for yourself.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Also if you only have an Ohio CHL please know that Georgia does not reciprocate.

In other words you cannot legally carry in Georgia.

If you have your Ohio and Florida CHL you are good to go to carry in Georgia.

Check for yourself.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Ummm, Georgia??

Doorfront Parking like a BOSS

NoBama 2012

Maybe I missed part of the massive thread on the Gap an GA IS involved. IDK

NoBama 2012

GA is only 30 miles from the gap they way the crow flys, if you go south on 129 or 28 you will cross the state line

Hydrate and good tires. If you even have to think about whether you need tires just get them. Heat stroke and shitty tires completely take all the fun out of the trip, ask me how I know

And yes if you go down there and dont go to GA you are missing out on pretty much one of the best routes down there

Guys when you put saddle bags on your bike do any of you use duct tape to protect your paint from the saddle bags from rubbing

My bags have foam pad on back never had a problem with them scuffing paint. If you want to use tape I'd suggest painters tape over duct tape much easier to remove.

I'm not sure where you all are planning on staying but the two wheel inn is an awesome place. Depending on the # going you can split the apartment they have there and the sammich makers would have a kitchen. Lol. Twowheelinn dot com

Ok on the tape Mine has foam padding to don't want to put it on drive to the gap and then see my paint all messed up.

jag thanks for the heads up on the gun carry laws fuk waiting on my fla. non res. permit

When I had my soft luggage, I put blue painters tape under it on the plastics. I'm sure you know how easily black paint scuffs.

Maybe I missed part of the massive thread on the Gap an GA IS involved. IDK

NoBama 2012

I know I mentioned Georgia in the first post of that thread.
I know I personally will be hitting the restaurant we found last year on 129 in Georgia for some amazing trout and awesome roads at some point.

You can't go all the way down there and not hit Georgia. It's some of the best riding down there.

When in georgia watch out for lumpkin co cops they HATE bikes. I got nailed for $290 ticket for passing in a no passing zone. They also tried to force me to go to court for the ticket a local biker lawyer helped with that part. You must do a run on Ga. rt 180 wolf pen gap. Very cool road and you can stop at the other end at t.w.o. and get a burger for lunch.