SERIOUS question for the financial savy peeps

crb

Rational? :lol:

I really think you should troll elsewhere unless you can add something usefull.

If you don't want to add useful info then Justin Fuck off, with all due respect!

I've been nothing but civil, no swearing, no name calling. That's your route, and while I'm not 100% blemish-free, I don't stoop to it very often.

I offered to look at your issue from an alternative perspective and try to encourage some self-reflection on what your goals and motives really are for this thread and I get nothing in return but swearing and immaturity.

I still stand by the fact that if your personality and political philosophy that you've shown in your fervent posts in many of the threads can't handle disagreements without resorting to the forum equivalent of temper tantrums and without doing a little critical thinking of your own, then you may not yet have the necessary emotional intelligence to handle a child. You may build that skill set as you mature and you may also be financially savvy enough by that point to know the correct path.

I've been nothing but civil, no swearing, no name calling. That's your route, and while I'm not 100% blemish-free, I don't stoop to it very often.

I offered to look at your issue from an alternative perspective and try to encourage some self-reflection on what your goals and motives really are for this thread and I get nothing in return but swearing and immaturity.

I still stand by the fact that if your personality and political philosophy that you've shown in your fervent posts in many of the threads can't handle disagreements without resorting to the forum equivalent of temper tantrums without doing a little critical thinking of your own, then you may not yet have the necessary emotional intelligence to handle a child. You may build that skill set as you mature and you may also be financially savvy enough by that point to know the correct path.

See now I wouldn't have told you to Fuck off if you said it that way. I don't think my political views have any weight on whether or not I can raise a child. You have called me names think way back (racist, troll, and others ). Name calling is not the only form of disrespect you've shown. To be fair you have had my number since day 1. I've left you alone, but you can't seem to put our political difference down for a rational discussion.

If you can't grow up and put our differences aside to actually offer advice then butt out. I asked for help because I am not informed about retirement and college funding so I asked for help. Isn't that mature? Knowing your short commings and seeking help?

Anyway I will put you back on ignore since you can't put your big boy pants on!

I just got around to changing the damn thread title now you want it locked? FUCK!

No, it was only a suggestion. Thank you for correcting my spelling error. You are AWESOME!

See now I wouldn't have told you to Fuck off if you said it that way. I don't think my political views have any weight on whether or not I can raise a child. You have called me names think way back (racist, troll, and others ). Name calling is not the only form of disrespect you've shown. To be fair you have had my number since day 1. I've left you alone, but you can't seem to put our political difference down for a rational discussion.

And, as I stated, my record isn't 100% blemish-free, but you know as well as I do that the "racist" comment was a sarcastic response to mock your hypocrisy in a thread where you clearly wanted everyone to know how brash you were. I don't recall ANY other times I've called you a name and I think you'd be hard pressed to find more examples than that ONE. It's you that fancy the derogatory labels, the asshat emoticons, and the exclamatory insults.

If you can't grow up and put our differences aside to actually offer advice then butt out. I asked for help because I am not informed about retirement and college funding so I asked for help. Isn't that mature? Knowing your short commings and seeking help?

It's good asking for help where you know you're deficient, I haven't berated that. But, it's funny you keep telling ME to grow up, when you're leaving visitor messages on my wall

Today 10:08 PM

crb

Fuck off :asshat:

And even took the trouble to PM me during my hiatus to poke at me. It seems it's you that wants to antagonize me, not me antagonize you. I've don't think I've ever initiated any communication with you, yet you leave visitor messages, PMs, comment on my photos, use my screenname in other threads, leave me negative rep (which I've never retaliated with). The only thing I feel I'm guilty of, is continually stirring the pot with you just so you can publicly show that you have maturity issues. If you don't like what the "public" has to say, then don't put it in public and you won't have to throw your e-tantrums.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not offended by the "asshat" or "fuck off!" or any of the political terms you like to associate negative connotations with that you may think are clever jabs... I dish it out, I can take it. It just shows how small-minded your views are and your general ignorance of the world around you.

Anyway I will put you back on ignore since you can't put your big boy pants on!

Bolded for the massive irony.

And for historical purposes before the great deer slayer locks this up, IBTL and IBIP!!! :)

Edited by JRMMiii
  • Upvote 1

I just got around to changing the damn thread title now you want it locked? FUCK!
No, it was only a suggestion. Thank you for correcting my spelling error. You are AWESOME!

Fail on both your parts....STILL. :D

My thread went way better than this, you should probably cheggit. Actually, come to think of it, everything I post on this forum is high quality and totally seriosly awesome

How much should I plan to put in a college fund. My thought is $20k per kid. I know 20k probably won't pay for college completely, but it will be a good starting place. This number assumes its in the budget. My plan is to contribute weekly to the fund.

Yes, by 2031 20K should cover their first week the way credit hours prices keep rising. :lol:

Yes, by 2031 20K should cover their first week the way credit hours prices keep rising. :lol:

I know, with inflation it might be a savings for their first car. If things don't change $20k in 19 yrs might buy a nice high mileage junker.

I know 20k will probably not even come close to covering college. It may be possible to contribute more per potential child time will tell. Something will be better than nothing in my opinion.

I know, with inflation it might be a savings for their first car. If things don't change $20k in 19 yrs might buy a nice high mileage junker.

I know 20k will probably not even come close to covering college. It may be possible to contribute more per potential child time will tell. Something will be better than nothing in my opinion.

Chances are by 2020 most degrees will be earned at home on a computer because housing and other costs like books when added to credit hours are just too much for the average family. :( At that point a degree will become as worthless as a letter from your Mommy about what a great student you are.:rolleyes:

Ignore Justin, he is just picking at the low hanging fruit.

Are the jack booted thugs going to lock this thread or ban the troll or the stupid people?

If I lock it I'll be certain to post in it a few more times afterward. :)

• Upvote 1

Be sure NOTto quote me in the rest of this thread since crb has me on ignore.

Proceed with the financial advice that is just as easily googled as it is to ask a bunch of motorcyclists.

(Seriously though, most of the posters in here that provided legit advice was decent information.) :cheers:

Be sure NOTto quote me in the rest of this thread since crb has me on ignore.

Proceed with the financial advice that is just as easily googled as it is to ask a bunch of motorcyclists.

(Seriously though, most of the posters in here that provided legit advice was decent information.) :cheers:

I don't know what kind of trouble you think you're starting here so fuck-off asshat.

• Upvote 1

Here's my advice: you have 17 years to figure out your plan. If you haven't worked out a comprehensive financial plan: retirement, loans, kids college, etc. Take a few months, read good investment books, get involved in an investment forum, and nail down exactly how you're going to tackle your total financial picture over the long haul. There's a lot to consider with tax implications that you'll want to be aware of and plan ahead to cover. For instance, do you know if the 529 tax deduction will be better off than the untaxed Roth growth (if that was part of the plan)? Should you even consider using your limited Roth space to hold future college money? How risky of an investment approach should you take with the funds? Stocks or bonds or both and what ratio and how to change it as your time horizon approaches. How to take expenses into account.

Consider picking this book up, it's a great place to start for someone with minimal investment experience and does a great job explaining types of investments, tax implications, and even a short chapter on college savings:

Amazon.com: The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing (9780471730330): Taylor Larimore, Mel Lindauer, Michael LeBoeuf, John C. Bogle: Books

There's also an associated forum at www.bogleheads.org that has some incredibly good information on topics just like this.

Anyway, the point is still don't rush into anything just yet. Take the time to figure out your financial plan so you're comfortable in any market situation. Your total financial picture is bigger than just a potential 529 savings plan and only you have all the information to figure this out successfully.

It's a long journey! Good luck!

Started reading it last night. I must say section with the buyers, consumers, and keepers is spot on and really makes you think. Wife and I definetly used to be buyers, back in thecearly days of our marriage. We became 1/2 consumer and 1/2 keeper later on once we woke up.

We are on step 2. Payoff credit card debt and high-interest debt. We have switched our mindset to a networth mindset and have an emergency fund. Although once step 2 is met I want a much bigger emergency fund at least 6 months of bills.

So dE a good read.