need help!

drey4211

I recently rode my 08 r6 and when i came back to put it away i noticed a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. the bike does not overheat nor does it run any differently its just the smoke is pretty thick. Ive tried to look into it online but there was no definite answer. Its got 17k on it and this is the very first issue I've ever had with it. Can someone tell me what it can be and what the least expensive way i can look into it and fix it? i miss riding!!!

Oil level could be good but old oil could cause that. I know it is for some cars. Again not sure about bikes. I'm waiting for some others to chime in that know a hell of a lot more than me.

I am not sure and would hate to speculate on something, but i would definitely look into why you are low on coolant.

If he's seeing white smoke, that means he's buring water or coolant. Verified by the fact he is low on coolant also.

thanks guys.. i took all my plastics off so now i just need someone to look at it or take it over to a shop.. no leaks anywhere i can see.. also the smoke turns light brown when i rev it up a little.. what would you say a fix would run me.. a buddy of mine at the shop said anywhere around 500-1000

thanks guys.. i took all my plastics off so now i just need someone to look at it or take it over to a shop.. no leaks anywhere i can see.. also the smoke turns light brown when i rev it up a little.. what would you say a fix would run me.. a buddy of mine at the shop said anywhere around 500-1000

Turns light brown because youre introducing more air & fuel when your turn the throttle...fuel/air will burn black.

Smoke=oil burning............Steam=coolant in cylinder. Smell it.Which does it smell like? But first start it up and let it idle for 10-15 seconds.If it is a coolant leak chances are the cylinder will missfire.Lightly tap on the header pipes and see if one is cold.This will tell you which one is taking on coolant.Also from cold it won't start steaming right away if it is coolant but oil will make it smoke sooner.A blown head gasket usually blow coolant out into the resivoir causing it to overflow.If someone gives you an estimate for repairs without troubleshooting find another mechanic. Also check an R6 forum to see if it is a common problem.

Edited by Al Z. Heimer

If he's seeing white smoke, that means he's buring water or coolant. Verified by the fact he is low on coolant also.

this...sounds like its burning coolant to me too, so it could be head gasket

If by coolant cap you mean the radiator cap, and the radiator is full, then Idk. Smell the smoke, if it smells like burnt anti freeze then you need a head gasket. Oil usually Burns blue smoke, very easy to tell from coolant. Is there oil in your coolant? Is there coolant in your oil? Those are dead giveaways of a blown head gasket.

Blown head gasket or cracked water jacket. No cheap fix, either need a head gasket or a new cylinder/head.
If by coolant cap you mean the radiator cap, and the radiator is full, then Idk. Smell the smoke, if it smells like burnt anti freeze then you need a head gasket. Oil usually Burns blue smoke, very easy to tell from coolant. Is there oil in your coolant? Is there coolant in your oil? Those are dead giveaways of a blown head gasket.

All this ^^^

Head gasket may be the cheap route in this scenario, which isn't hateful on SOME bikes as it can be done in-frame - If its oil burn, could still be a head gasket or bad/worn rings - But worse yet, the head needs repaired/replaced. You can have the head pressure tested to be sure if you cant tell by looking at the gasket, but you can usually tell where coolant or oil is pushing past the gasket in most cases if its just a gasket issue. Good luck man, I'd call Ryan at ShopDog Cycles if you dont know what you're doing

thanks guys! dont know if this means anything but when i open the coolant cap the coolant is all the way on the edge almost spilling out. the reservoir shows it being below low.. im still learning!

Doesnt take much coolant to blow smoke, so you wouldnt notice the level drop all of a sudden - is this the 1st time its smoked and is it a lot of smoke? Thick white cloud or a hazy blue cloud?

pretty sure r6 head gasket can be done in frame. My 96 fzr can, so unless they took a huge step backwards you should be able to yank the whole top end after removing fairings, radiator, tank, air box and intake....maybe have to pull the front end off to make it easier. Sounds like a nightmare, it's really not, can be done in an afternoon with a socket set and a service manual.

Do a compression check. Check plugs condition. Check air filter, if engine can't draw air in past the filter, it will draw in excess fuel and oil instead, and try to burn it. Pull pipes and look in exhaust ports. Isolate whether it's all cylinders or just one.

Also check for oil in the water, and water in the oil (gets milky/murky). Basic signs of head gasket problems, mostly, but not always.

Stick hand in the white smoke coming out of the exhaust, and see what you get. Either water or oil. Oil smoke at idle, would be oil past the piston rings. A broken or bad oil scraper piston ring will make a nice putt putt amount of whitish smoke coming out the tail pipe. Plug(s) oiled, compression(s) not normal.

Water vapor could be getting past the head gasket. Plugs and compression might not look too different. A plug might look too clean.

Another possibility, would be a water jacket crack in or around an exhaust port, letting water out into the exhaust. Exhaust port can look like it's been steam cleaned. That one is expensive, it would probably mean a cylinder head needed. Plugs normal, compression normal.

A rare situation is to have hose or pipe connections push oil or water into the exhaust/combustion. Say for instance, pressure above the cylinder head, around the valve train, pushing oil out the blow by tube, and into the air intake. Which would show up as oil smoke out the tail pipe. Sometimes the air filter or intake will be oiled up as a result. Plugs would be oiled up, compression normal. Not all bikes have a connection like that. It would also mean a cylinder head R&R, either a crack or bad valve guides or something.