"Nice bike"

TSB67

Assuming your bike is not custom or modified in any way, what do you say when someone says, "Nice bike?"

This is always akward for me. It's not like I had anything to do with the way it is. I didn't design it, I didn't modify it, I just bought it. You can find the same piece of machinery on the floor of your local dealer. I want to just say, "Yeah, it is," but that sounds dickish somehow so I usually just say, "Thanks." Then I feel stupid because it feels like I'm taking credit for it somehow.

I guess it could be taken as a compliment on my taste? I don't believe I have ever said this to anyone unless it was something custom.

P.S. Wanted to add a poll but don't know how.

Edited by brn6604

I would take it as a compliment to your taste of bikes. Sometimes I remark about someones bike and its because of the color scheme or style I may not have seen in person yet, up close it may look like a custom to that person.

I just laugh a little and say thanks with a smile since my bikes usually lbts. I am still amazed the number of compliments I get on a bike that at any one time has mismatched fairings, zip ties, dirt ingrained in plastic welds, missing/mismatched screws, no fairings, no headlights etc.

I saw a super clean 98 gsxr750 and told the guy nice bike, knowing it was all stock :dunno: I asked him if it was all original and he said ya, there wasn't even a scratch on the bike. I think it had like 7021miles on it.

I get complements on my lil 250, even with the war wounds :lol: I just think it's a good way to start a convo. Nice Anything usually leads to a 30+ min convo from personal experience.

Usually what a guy means when he says this is: Nice set of balls you have there. I'm not willing to face the cagers, dangers, speed, or cost of owning one.....therefore I'm jealous. And....my wife won't let me.

And what a woman really means is: Nice set of balls you have there......I'd actually like to check them out further.

• Upvote 1

Just usually a "thanks" with a smile. If someone doesn't know bikes then I guess mine could be mistaken for something custom with the blade looking aluminum wheels and flame paint job, even though it is all stock.

A clean bike in general is deserving a compliment. I would say that they are complementing your taste in bikes, but i prefer a bike that is clean and original. Busas that are stock i complement, but stretched, lowered, and more i walk past.

I totally agree, especially about the Hayabusa part.

I've never owned a bike without customizing/painting/suping up the motor. I get compliments on my fzr all the time, people are amazed that it's a '96. Before I tore my cb 750 apart I would get compliments on it all the time. This almost always leads to a conversation about the work I've done to it.

I think it's complimenting your taste in bikes.

For me, when I say it, I am usually meaning: "I like your bike and I'd drive it if given the option or the finances to buy a second bike." I won't ever say it unless I'd drive it

I'm kind of with ya on this OP. I think in this day and age if anyone says anything nice to me, especially going out on a limb and complimenting a stranger. I usually tell them "Thanks, I got it from ..." Then it moves into a conversation of the location I got it, or how they saw it there too, ect.

Take it more as a sign of camaraderie and just reply in a "thank you/you're welcome" manner ... It would be silly if we were all just waving at each other in the parking lots.

Edited by TMCGRAW
... I proofread AFTER I post ...

I get comments on my Interceptor all the time (when I ride it that is) like "wow! I had one of those!" or "I always wanted one of those back in the day!"

I even get "nice bike" comments on my BTS, two-toned paint 04 Ninja 250!

If I'm wearing my Tapout shirt, I immediately just punch them in the face.

http://jalopnik.com/5907665/this-man-is-in-a-coma-because-he-complimented-another-mans-wheels

Saw that story on ZXforums :nono:

I usually say thanks and ask if they have one, just to start a conversation.

"Never meet a stranger" that's what my uncle says

"Does water ripple when a duck farts" is another one of his sayings as well :lol:

I got a lot of compliments on my Hawk GT with the mod's done to it and most people had no idea what it was. My Duc will get one on occasion but less so now with the mismatching color scheme.

I just say "thank you" and move out smartly.