Shopping for 1st bike

slingingchic

I'm taking the rider course in August, need ideas on a bike for when I'm finished. Open for all suggestions! I sat on the Cbr 250, I didn't like, I felt like I was on a midget bike, no offense to those who have one, I felt like I was too tall/long legged for it. Sat on the Rebel 250 and it seemed fine, although not sure if Id want to stick with a cruiser. Not looking for speed. I rather have my speeding fix in a pony car.

Also, what is really the difference in riding a Cruiser vs. Sportbike?

• Upvote 1

Sport bikes have a pretty aggressive position to them, meaning (to me at least) I'm more comfortable being laid out on the bike than I am sitting up on it. Sport bikes also require a little more flexibility and core strength to maintain proper position for extended periods of time (bending/leaning with the hamstrings at the waist, and not with your back).

I personally like both but have taken advantage of my youth and physical conditioning to buy sport bikes first. I have a few guys at work that have some choppers and cruisers and even some touring bikes, I like them all but think the choppers are the most impractical if you're going on all day rides.

A lot of the bikes you'll find are personal preference. I sit and lay out on the GSXR1000 and feel fine, when I do the same on a GSXR600/750 I feel scrunched, if you look at the specs of the bikes and do the measurements it's 90% in my head. But what I think, is what matters, when it's me riding a steal toy at highway speeds.

The rider course has a bunch of different bikes you can sit and ride on too, I would do the course and sit on all their bikes (since you can ride them too and not worry about dropping them) and build an idea.

Edited by TMCGRAW

I suggest trying differing styles of bikes before choosing one. Some prefer sport bikes, some cruisers and others touring. Don't let someone talk you into one or the other without trying them on for size for yourself. For example a friend of my wife bought a Katana on the urging of her friends, but ended up selling it to buy a cruiser bike. She now says it just fits her and her riding likes better. That's what its all about, what you like and what feels best to you.

AND not all 250's are created equal, for example: The bike I learned to ride on was a GZ250 and this thing is a pig haha, it takes a tail wind to get it up to 80 mph, and if you hit those rolling 'hills' on 270, you need to downshift to maintain speed, a real hassel (sometimes shifting to second gear to get through an intersection). My brother had a ninja250 and said it could do highway fine, with a passenger and it just felt really light and he didn't like it.

EDIT:

Buying a 250, 600, 750, 1000 to me is like saying you want an economy, sport compact (VW GTI/Honda S2000), 2-door sport sedan (think Ariel Atom), or two door sports car (Ferrari, Ford GT, ect.). There is something to be said for rider skill/comfort in relation to CC's/HP too though.

I don't put any faith in those people who say "I've rode over 65,000,000 miles and 1000cc is too much" or "I've been riding for 30 years and you don't need xyz cc's". To each their own, it'll be your bike, ya gotta be comfortable and happy with it.

Edited by TMCGRAW
  • Upvote 1

I suggest trying differing styles of bikes before choosing one. Some prefer sport bikes, some cruisers and others touring. Don't let someone talk you into one or the other without trying them on for size for yourself. For example a friend of my wife bought a Katana on the urging of her friends, but ended up selling it to buy a cruiser bike. She now says it just fits her and her riding likes better. That's what its all about, what you like and what feels best to you.

Although I agree with the concept of trying, a non-endorsed Newb will find it difficult to test ride anything.

Although I agree with the concept of trying, a non-endorsed Newb will find it difficult to test ride anything.

true, hadn't thought about it like that. Guess its been way too long since I first rode....

you probably don't want much more than 50 horsepower for a beginner bike...

CC's are related to power, but don't necessarily correlate.

if you feel comfortable on a vtwin cruiser, I'd look more to the 500-750cc size

if you want something sportier, parallel twins are more forgiving than I-4 for beginners... ninja 650, ninja 250, cb250 etc...

ride what you're comfortable with, no sense forcing yourself on to something you won't enjoy as much.

Jeez, how long are your legs? My 250r seems roomy to me & I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I guess it's all relative. You will find that a given bike feels quite a bit different when you ride it vs. Just sitting on it. I prefer sport bikes because the riding position allows more precise control. Hope you find something to your liking. It's a wise decision to take the MSF course.

• Upvote 1

You will find that a given bike feels quite a bit different when you ride it vs. Just sitting on it.

THIS!

My XX feels like a scalpel on the road compared to my g/f's standard which feels more like a half melted plastic knife...

hers is plenty comfortable to sit on, but the control is nowhere near as precise.

I'm taking the rider course in August, need ideas on a bike for when I'm finished. Open for all suggestions! I sat on the Cbr 250, I didn't like, I felt like I was on a midget bike, no offense to those who have one, I felt like I was too tall/long legged for it. Sat on the Rebel 250 and it seemed fine, although not sure if Id want to stick with a cruiser. Not looking for speed. I rather have my speeding fix in a pony car.

Also, what is really the difference in riding a Cruiser vs. Sportbike?

Interesting I felt just the opposite. I feel like Im sitting on the ground when I sit on a Rebel or GZ250 and my knees are almost in the handlebars. The Ninja 250 and and CBR250R fell much more real sized. However the dual sports fit me best. I really want a WR250R but XT250/225 and KLX250S are also nice bikes.

Ofcourse I'm 6'2 and like to hit dirt roads or the occasional off road. :D

Craig

Buy a used 250 or whatever you're comfortable. Figure out what you want by riding and learning. Then sell for what you paid for it when you're ready for THE bike.

+1

Excellent advice. Buying a used bike is inexpensive and you can likely sell it in a year for nearly what you paid.

The 200-250cc bikes are all light and easy to ride and are a good place to start. I rode a Ninja250 for a year before getting my Vstrom. I really like the Ninja but the Vstrom is more comfortable for me.

Craig

• Upvote 1

There are tons of bikes to try but the most important thing will be Your Comfort and ability to handle the bike. Since you have all summer to look do some weekend trips to different dealerships and see what you like. If you are between 5'8" and 5'10" you will find the world of motorcycles is your oyster as many bikes are made to that size range.

As for style of bike the cruiser is typically lower to the ground and has a lean back seating position. The dual sport or adventure bikes have superior suspension and a more up right seating position. Sport bike's specialize in performance based speed and handling and are an aggressive forward seating position.

The big question is "what do you wanna be able to do with the bike?"

• Upvote 1

The big question is "what do you wanna be able to do with the bike?"

Just to ride locally, as in within 150 miles from home, I have three kids so I wouldn't be out for those 7-14 hour trips that my husband manages to take.

I would obviously use for work as well when it's nice out, bank some money on mileage

Jeez, how long are your legs? My 250r seems roomy to me & I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I guess it's all relative. You will find that a given bike feels quite a bit different when you ride it vs. Just sitting on it. I prefer sport bikes because the riding position allows more precise control. Hope you find something to your liking. It's a wise decision to take the MSF course.

haha, I am 5'11" last time I checked legs are at 36"...now I feel like a complete freakazoid :wtf: The Rebel must have been more roomier than the other. Maybe it's got to do with the style... I have lot of sitting and checking to do. Many of the riders from work suggest in the line of a 500+ for my height.

Some have said too that the cruisers usually fall where a sportsbike don't.

Just to ride locally, as in within 150 miles from home, I have three kids so I wouldn't be out for those 7-14 hour trips that my husband manages to take.

I would obviously use for work as well when it's nice out, bank some money on mileage

You will start taking 7-14 hr trips after you get one. Even driving the long way wishing you were on the bike.

If you want betrween cruiser and sport bike go sit on the Triumph. It is a happy medium. And I think it is more comfortable than the Honda. It would bother my back.