Shopping for 1st bike

slingingchic

You will start taking 7-14 hr trips after you get one. Even driving the long way wishing you were on the bike.

If you want betrween cruiser and sport bike go sit on the Triumph. It is a happy medium. And I think it is more comfortable than the Honda. It would bother my back.

I sat on your Triumph, scared the shit out of me! 900 is not for me, or maybe it was the way you were trying to teach me to ride, reguardless you made me get off and I need to go finish pissing myself after that incident!

Not calling you a liar but 5'11" and 36" inseam is doubtful - unless you had heals on. No matter, as it doesn't sound like you are vertically challenged.

No idea of your price range or preferred styles but here are a few current model bikes that could serve as a guide.

Harley Davidson Sportster 883

Suzuki: SV650, SFV650 "Gladius"

Yamaha: FZ6R

Honda: VFR, Honda 250R

BMW: F800S, F800R, R1200R

Aprilla: Shiver

KTM: 690 Duke

Ducati: Monster 696, Hypermotard 796, Supersport (750, 800)

Triumph: Bonneville, Thruxton, Street Triple

Kawi: 250R, Ninja 650, Versys

There are quite a few older models that would work as well. Lighter and more upright riding position will benefit you the most. Go used and expect to drop it once or twice. NO BUSA!!!!!!!!!

Don't rule out a scooter. Genuine Motors BUDDY or Stella are not bad options. 80mpg and can run 60mph on a 150.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/3010994309.html

http://limaohio.craigslist.org/mcy/2982792196.html

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/3020206585.html

Not biased am I :-)

Edited by Revelstoker
  • Upvote 1

Just to ride locally, as in within 150 miles from home, I have three kids so I wouldn't be out for those 7-14 hour trips that my husband manages to take.

I would obviously use for work as well when it's nice out, bank some money on mileage

Well, given you're tall and want a functional bike for weekend rides and work there are a number of bikes you should be able to fit and handle. A 250-400 cc bike will really make the most out of the gas but are best suited for speeds under 65mph, normally.(There are always exceptions) But if your SO is a good teacher you might be best to skip up to the 650 cc class of bikes. As Pokey said the Suzuki DL650 (Wee Strom) might be a best bet as it has good MPG, is more stable and are very bullet proof. They are considered a dual sport or adventure bike but look like a sport bike on steroids. Price wise they are in the $7000 new range.

I assume you'll want something similar to what the hubby has. So, what does he ride?

Not calling you a liar but 5'11" and 36" inseam is doubtful - unless you had heals on. No matter, as it doesn't sound like you are vertically challenged.

LOL... you want a picture with the yard stick? okay.. ya that's a nws pic! freakishly long legs :(

All stated bikes are good options though I'm with the others that said SV650.

That is a bulletproof bike that is cheap to maintain and insure. Lots of upgrades still available to keep it fresh to you for many years. They can also be found for a good price with low mileage. The "N" model has handlebars and the "S" model has clip ons. The N model will be more of an upright sitting position and the S will be more forward similar to other full blooded sportbikes.

I still have one if you're ever in the area and want to try it out.

• Upvote 1

Sportbikes are made to put you in position to react faster, easier the control at slow speeds, like parking lots, and are obviously faster, and corner better I ride a 250 ninja, and it feels good... I would NOT suggest getting a 600 or 1000 inline 4 sports bike for a first bike, but people do it, just take an honest evaluation of yourself before you decide to go buy a supersport, they will bite you in the butt fast... Buy a small bike, master it, and move on up. Then again a cruiser might be your thing, not my cup of tea though, lol..

Well, given you're tall and want a functional bike for weekend rides and work there are a number of bikes you should be able to fit and handle. A 250-400 cc bike will really make the most out of the gas but are best suited for speeds under 65mph, normally.(There are always exceptions) But if your SO is a good teacher you might be best to skip up to the 650 cc class of bikes. As Pokey said the Suzuki DL650 (Wee Strom) might be a best bet as it has good MPG, is more stable and are very bullet proof. They are considered a dual sport or adventure bike but look like a sport bike on steroids. Price wise they are in the $7000 new range.

I assume you'll want something similar to what the hubby has. So, what does he ride?

Triumph Speed Triple. Wife sees the 900 thinks big but its a 3 cylinder. So its more manageable than a 4 cylinder.

Anden is 110% correct. It's a bike thing, you won't understand until you command your own ride. Then you'll find yourself on 7-14 hour rides

You speak the truth +1.

Maybe give these guys a look:

http://www.clevelandcyclewerks.com/

Local boys up here managed to churn out some pretty awesome-looking machines. Low-displacement, but they MSRP for less than 4k new, and they fit some taller riders.

misfit_hdr_shop.jpg?pictureId=9231922

Heist%20Stock%202?pictureId=11650631

Those are bad ass.

I prefer the postion of the sport bike, I feel like I have more control. Its your first bike not your last and some people only keep the first one for a few seasons. My first was an intruder 800, it was a great bike. I just didn't like how top heavy it felt to me. You need a good learner bike then move up.

Triumph Speed Triple. Wife sees the 900 thinks big but its a 3 cylinder. So its more manageable than a 4 cylinder.

Actually I don't want something similar to the husbands ride. He bought me a Honda Shadow few years ago but since I didn't learn it within a couple months he sold it out w/o telling me till after it sold.

Lost interest on riding with him teaching me on the Triumph, I recall heading up into someone's yard on first lesson, I got scared and he panicked, I was done and he was done. I figured that wasn't the right time to learn, all the safety courses were booked for the season.

In other words the Speed Triple is too much for me, Anden you've bragged its faster than your brothers bike, and his is pretty strong.

Range will probably be around $2K, if I still got time to save up some checks with him wanting to switch job this year. Idk....

I was lucky enough to get a 77 gs550 from a dude that just didn't want it so he gave it to me. It was rough but a little tlc n she was good to go.... It was a good starter bike. Not top heavy and not a ton of power. You can do em up in a cafe racer look and they are pretty cool. Went from that to a CBR......

I sat on your Triumph, scared the shit out of me! 900 is not for me, or maybe it was the way you were trying to teach me to ride, reguardless you made me get off and I need to go finish pissing myself after that incident!

I think the Triumph he was referring to is in the Classic lines.

2010-bonneville-fusion-white-386x234.jpg

Not a triple.

The dual sport and adventure bikes will feel roomier for a long legged person, though if you are flexible then sportbikes can also work.

Id still look for a small used bike. Buy the one that fits and you can get a good deal on. Ride it for 5-10k miles and then decide which direction you want to go. Used Nighthawks, TU250X, Ninja250, XT225, KLR250, or even a Rebel. All are pretty much standards and usually available for cheap. These are all easy to ride and very forgiving. Once you've ridden one for a while then a larger bike will not seem nearly as intimidating.

Craig

I would throw in my vote for the SV650.

It wasn't too scary in any way as my first bike, but it was capable enough that I rode it for 4 years before upgrading. It's a solid machine, and damn affordable to own & operate. Still has the feel of a sportbike, but with slightly easier ergonomics than my 600RR.

Just a solid choice all around.

• Upvote 1

I think the Triumph he was referring to is in the Classic lines.

2010-bonneville-fusion-white-386x234.jpg

Not a triple.

The dual sport and adventure bikes will feel roomier for a long legged person, though if you are flexible then sportbikes can also work.

Id still look for a small used bike. Buy the one that fits and you can get a good deal on. Ride it for 5-10k miles and then decide which direction you want to go. Used Nighthawks, TU250X, Ninja250, XT225, KLR250, or even a Rebel. All are pretty much standards and usually available for cheap. These are all easy to ride and very forgiving. Once you've ridden one for a while then a larger bike will not seem nearly as intimidating.

Craig

No its a speed triple ;) last suggestion is I take the speed triple and he gets new.... Hell No ;)