Shopping for 1st bike

slingingchic

Anden is her man, she should be turning to him and not online strangers. So I'm telling her BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSA! :cheers:

Anden has a death wish with me + speed triple, that's why I go to strangers! I need honest input vs. Selfish input to get new bike.

i think you should wait to shop till after you take the course. this way you will know a little more of what to expect.
Good call, just trying to keep eyes opened and know what to look for since there's so many options

Although the SV650 sounds like a good choice without "trying on" other models, and it will fit you well being close to 6ft. BUT, I'm agreeing that the safety course would be best to start with. It's good to have an idea of what you want just based on style/looks alone, but you'll have an easier time shopping once you're taught the fundamentals along with a legal endorsement. Mid sized twins are safer options than inline 4's to start on - just a more manageable platform to begin with. I'll keep my eyes peeled for deals and hit you guys up if I find something

That nighthawk would be a good starter bike. I wouldn't spend much on a first bike, you're probably going to drop it, and you well must likely sell it for something faster after a year or two. Never buy a brand new 250, you will lose your ass on it when you go to sell. Definitely take the safety course first.

As for sportbikes, ninja 650, fz6r, sv650, gsx650f would all fit the bill. Cruisers I would look at another Shadow, Vstar 650 or 900, or a Vulcan 900. Standards you can't go wrong with a Bonneville, Versys, Monster 696, or something along those lines.

• Upvote 1

I do vote SV650 as well and I don't generally like Suzuki's. But this bike can do it all. Mutliple varietes for speed and comfort. Plenty of motor.

But it comes down to what turns YOU on.

I know what I like.

I do recommend male riders start small and work up because they have big ego and can do stupid things. You appear to be very level headed. So 650 sounds about right. Ducati Monster (not the 1100) would also be a good choice.

My kids start on the 50, then 125 or 250. Then they can get something like SV650.

So what type of bike turns you on?

I rule out cruisers for all beginers as they dont' turn or stop well, therefore I consider them much more dangerous and should only be ridden by experienced riders.

Chris

I do vote SV650 as well and I don't generally like Suzuki's. But this bike can do it all. Mutliple varietes for speed and comfort. Plenty of motor.

But it comes down to what turns YOU on.

I know what I like.

I do recommend male riders start small and work up because they have big ego and can do stupid things. You appear to be very level headed. So 650 sounds about right. Ducati Monster (not the 1100) would also be a good choice.

My kids start on the 50, then 125 or 250. Then they can get something like SV650.

So what type of bike turns you on?

I rule out cruisers for all beginers as they dont' turn or stop well, therefore I consider them much more dangerous and should only be ridden by experienced riders.

Chris

That's what I haven't figured out yet, lol. I know I don't like the feel of the Speed Triple or the CBR 250 feel. So I think I will be doing alot of sitting to see what feel I like.

When I had the Shadow for a minute (lol) I did like that. SV650 seems to be popping up alot, I need to check it out :)

Cruisers pretty much suck at about anything other than riding in a straight line, and you may be tempted to dress like a member of the village people..... just keep that in mind. That is why something like a a standard would be your best bet IMHO. Street Triple, FZ6R, Ninja 650R, GSX650F.......something like that.

Cruisers pretty much suck at about anything other than riding in a straight line, and you may be tempted to dress like a member of the village people..... just keep that in mind. That is why something like a a standard would be your best bet IMHO. Street Triple, FZ6R, Ninja 650R, GSX650F.......something like that.

Damn... Village People ruining it for all! Lol

Who was asking about getting rid of their SV? It was in the last couple weeks. The 650 would be ok I guess I just want her to start slow and stay safe. If she wants better we can do the gsxr swaps.

Edited by Anden

Yeah......be different and don't conform.;)

Yeah, get a KLR 650! Just make sure it's pre08'.;) Die hard bikes that go on and off road. Will do highway speeds and are cheap. Mine new:

StillWater2.jpg

now:

SANY0038.jpg

SANY0033.jpg

They are a die hard bike that doesn't conform to the mold. People know better than to screw around with someone riding a big dirt bike looking thing. :lol:

SANY0017.jpg

Yeah, get a KLR 650! Just make sure it's pre08'.;) Die hard bikes that go on and off road. Will do highway speeds and are cheap. Mine new:

StillWater2.jpg

now:

SANY0038.jpg

SANY0033.jpg

They are a die hard bike that doesn't conform to the mold. People know better than to screw around with someone riding a big dirt bike looking thing. :lol:

SANY0017.jpg

I think that's what we saw at Honda in Troy ;)

It's a great bike if your tall. I'm 6'4" and have a 1" lift on mine just to give you an idea. They are straight forward tech and can do 50mpg cruising at 55mpg. Not a fan of the new KLR (08'+) to many stories of oil burning issues compared to the old style like mine. Plus the new KLR is a single cyclinder DL650 for the most part.