back protectors

NinjaDoc

Sorry if it has been discussed before, but just wanted to know any newer updates or ideas.

Back protectors: is it "really" an integral part of daily ride protection?

What all types?

Which type will be good for a sport touring kind of riding?

Who all uses it? any comments?

If you don't want to have to strap one in every time you ride, get one that is at least ce rated that fits into your jacket. There are also ones that have better coverage that clips into certain jackets (I believe alpinestars has such a setup in some of their jackets).

That all said, a dedicated back protector is recommended. I love my contour race for when I'm riding in my suit. Its a bit long for jacket/jeans, but it still works ok, you just gotta tranny it a little and tuck it in.

Get one...use it... I'm thankful of mine from the MS crash. Landed on my spine from 6ft up and at least 40mph and came out with only cracked ribs (I think). If not for the protector, I'd of broken my back at a minimum. Though I may have to go to the Dr for pain in my spine still. :(

I use the Knox Ageis 7/8 Plate.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4157

Get one...use it... I'm thankful of mine from the MS crash. Landed on my spine from 6ft up and at least 40mph and came out with only cracked ribs (I think). If not for the protector, I'd of broken my back at a minimum. Though I may have to go to the Dr for pain in my spine still. :(

I use the Knox Ageis 7/8 Plate.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=4157

Saw this and was right behind/next to the whole event, and had he not had the required back protector on, game over severely.

If I still rode st. I wouldn't get on a bike without it. I have a Bohn I got from Dubguy, feels like it would definitely protect, not as pretty as some of the new plastic exo skeleton kinda ones, but still really solid, and goes way down my ass to cover my tail bone.

I ride with the Knox Contour tour model and it's pretty nice. It offers more coverage than the Forcefield back protector and still keeps my back cool on hot days. For street use if you went with the Contour I'd go with the tour version since the race version would probably get uncomfortable if you're not always tucked. Haven't tried the race on on, but my tour version sticks down out about an inch out of my jacket and the race version is a few inches longer.

Saw this and was right behind/next to the whole event, and had he not had the required back protector on, game over severely.

If I still rode st. I wouldn't get on a bike without it. I have a Bohn I got from Dubguy, feels like it would definitely protect, not as pretty as some of the new plastic exo skeleton kinda ones, but still really solid, and goes way down my ass to cover my tail bone.

I have this too. I don't feel it when I'm wearing it. I wear it every single ride.

There is no item of safety gear that I own that I DON'T wear every single ride. What good is it gonna do me in an accident if it is sitting on a shelf at home? :confused:

I bought this clearance at IP

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp?ImageName=AXO-10-BACK-PROTECTOR.jpg&Brand=AXO&Class2=Protective%20Gear&Class3=Armor&Class1=STREET%20PRODUCTS

When I high sided I landed on my back. The protector did its job and my back was fine. I dont wear it on street rides but have been debating on it.

I bought this clearance at IP

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp?ImageName=AXO-10-BACK-PROTECTOR.jpg&Brand=AXO&Class2=Protective%20Gear&Class3=Armor&Class1=STREET%20PRODUCTS

When I high sided I landed on my back. The protector did its job and my back was fine. I dont wear it on street rides but have been debating on it.

same one I bought, even though I dont ride street if i did I would wear it

I bought one of these: http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/ICON-STRYKER-CE-PROTECTOR.jpg/Brand/ICON/Class2/Protective%20Gear/Class3/Armor/Class1/STREET%20PRODUCTS at Iron Pony a few years back. It took some forcing, but after removing the straps from the protector it just barely fit into the pocket in the back of my riding jacket, and it hasn't been removed since. It definitely adds some bulk to the jacket, but I don't even notice it anymore when riding. Strapping it on separately would be a pain in the ass, but since I could make it a part of the jacket itself I see no reason to ever ride without it.

My Knox Aegis is really not a pain to put on. It takes 5 seconds to put on and the same to take off. It's pretty much irrelevant to me. Plus I have two jackets - both textile dayglo but one is an air jacket that it has to be above 50 (ideally above 60) to be comfortable in, and the other is a cold weather jacket good down to the mid 20s (haven't tried riding colder than that). it would be much more of a pain to switch the back protector from jacket to jacket.

Takes me 2 minutes to get geared up for a ride and 2 minutes to remove and put away the gear. I wear boots, textile overpants, back protector, textile dayglo jacket, armored knuckle gloves and a shoei modular helmet.

Edited by Scruit

I have the knox countour race model for track riding, but when I was still riding on the street I use to wear the roll up one from Knox that Iron Pony had for sale a few years ago. It was actually pretty stout and fit well in my leather alpinestars jacket if i took the liner out.

i could see that moving away from being centered on your spine if it's in your jacket though.

My jacket fits pretty snugly, and the back protector is wedged into the pocket so tight that it hardly moves at all. I'd say that the whole thing can only move maybe an inch to either side at most, which is immaterial considering how broad the protector is - even when I deliberately reach back and move it as far as I can to one side, my spine is completely covered. I'm not claiming that this is a direct replacement to a standalone, strap-on (haha) back protector, but it is a pretty good solution for everyday street riding as it adds significant protection with absolutely zero additional effort over simply putting on the jacket.

I guess my point was that back protectors are important enough that people should try to work them in to their riding wardrobe in whatever way works for them, and that there are very convenient ways of doing so that allow for a satisfactory, if not perfect, solution.