Dump Truck vs Motorcycle

ScubaCinci

Wow just ran her over :nono:

:rip:

Its true I never thought about a big truck not being able to see me cause they stopped so close that I was blocked by the nose

Not always that they stop close. More often its a bike or small car that passes on the right in city traffic and cuts back in front to be first and the driver never sees you.

i don't remember exactly where it was but they had a demonstration set up where they put an 18 wheeler in a parking lot and parked 4 cars and 10 bikes around it. When u sat in the cab in the drivers seat u couldnt see a single one. Always be careful.

My dad is a trucker and I've been with him on some rides, I've also driven a oversized box truck. I know it doesn't fully compare to a semi but the blind spots were eye opening and the amount of people that cut right in front of you is crazy.

i don't remember exactly where it was but they had a demonstration set up where they put an 18 wheeler in a parking lot and parked 4 cars and 10 bikes around it. When u sat in the cab in the drivers seat u couldnt see a single one. Always be careful.

Completely true.

I've driven a straight (box) truck a few times (I think it was an 18' trailer?) full of pallets of mail and other drivers do seem to have little disregard for the stopping distance those things take. I'm always mindful of that when I drive/ride.

This sad event serves as a learning opporunity for the rest of us. It is for me anyway.

Happens with cars too. If you have never been behind the wheel of a Semi or other large truck you wouldn't believe the amount of blind spots and the size of some of the spots.

I was bored one day, and rode to Cleveland and did a route with a buddy who was hauling vegetables up there in an 18 wheeler.

I was astounded at how retarded most motorists are around 18 wheelers, and further amazed by the limited visibility from the cab of those trucks. it would be quite easy to run over a small car or bike and never even have seen it prior to the crash.

Needless to say, I am much more respectful around big vehicles than I used to be now.

• Upvote 1

I will look at the truck driver first, using his/her own mirrors, before passing. Usually I can see him/her see me. Doesn't work at night. But if I go through the same motions, there's a good chance they sees me.

There's been cases of trucks backing up over bikes/cars also. Always leave enough room and plan to scoot to the side if you have too.

Please note that there's a fairly big blind spot on the even the left side of vans and SUVs. (To go with the one on the right side.) Their mirrors will show them nothing. The driver has to look down at you right beside them. Most van/suv drivers don't know they need to do that.

• Upvote 1