Stolen bike! Help!

Omnislash16

My buddy just had his bike stolen around the Eastgate Woods area in southwest Ohio, Red black and silver 07 Honda CBR600rr. Black puig double bubble windscreen, Leo Vince exhaust, black frame sliders, some road rash on the right hand side of bike! I know there are a lot of riders in this area on here let's find the jack hole who did this! PM me if you have any leads or info

One of these days you guys will discover GPS theft tracking. Cost me $50 to buy the tracker and 35c a day. Tracks constantly, so even if they find the bug while stripping the bike down I still have a track leading to the chop shop.

I lock my forks when I walk away. Not hard to break the lock but it sure will take them more time to steal my bike. Hope your buddy finds his bike before it is parts or in another state.

Yeah I lock mine as well but it doesn't take but a few extra guys for them to pick it up and load it in a truck or van, which we are pretty sure they did.

One of these days you guys will discover GPS theft tracking. Cost me $50 to buy the tracker and 35c a day. Tracks constantly, so even if they find the bug while stripping the bike down I still have a track leading to the chop shop.

I have been looking into one of these but wish I could find one that doesn't have a continuous rate (x amount of dollar or cents a day)

I have been looking into one of these but wish I could find one that doesn't have a continuous rate (x amount of dollar or cents a day)

I prefer that to the type that charge you "per locate". The GPS track (tracks every 30 seconds) is useful for other things too:

- When I'm on a long trip I can log where I go and remember where are the good roads are.

- If I am overdue on a bike trip my wife can locate the bike - if I wreck or break down I know help will come soon.

- If I am accused of speeding I can check to see if I was - and either prove I was no, or happily accept that I was.

- I have a cron job on a linux box that scans and tracks the location of the bike every minute. If the bike stops reporting its position (GPS tracker fails sometimes if I don't ride for a week and don't have the battery tender plugged in) then I get an email. Once the bike moves more that a couple hundred feet (to account for GPS inaccuracy) then the tracker considers that the beginning of a "journey". If the gps location of my cellphone does not track with the bike then I get a text message that the bike is moving. Once the bike stops for more than 5 minutes the "journey" is concluded. The software I wrote keeps a history or journeys and I use that to determine realistic commute times per day of week and time of commute. ie I know that 4pm mon-thurs is a good time to leave, but 4pm friday is as slow as 5pm mon-thu, which is about 50% slower than 4pm. That really kicks in at 4:45. 4:30 is still ok.

I use instamapper.com for the free tracking, and a Boost mobile phone as the tracking hardware.

Also, who the heck would ever steal a V strom? That in itself is theft protection!!

When I lived in Charleston I had my 2009 CBR1000RR stolen. It was parked right in front of my apartment, around 1pm in the afternoon. Supposedly, a couple of guys stole a van, pulled up next to it and just threw it in. A few months later the sheriff's department for a town about 50 miles away said they found a frame with a matching VIN at the bottom of a lake. Hopefully, the guys that took yours aren't pro's and are making the mistake of riding it around or just changing the paint. I hope you have better luck than I did.

I lock my forks when I walk away. Not hard to break the lock but it sure will take them more time to steal my bike. Hope your buddy finds his bike before it is parts or in another state.

all the fork lock does is keep honest people honest. thats it.

if someone wants your bike bad enough, the fork lock is not going to deter them AT ALL, and having it locked is not going to take them any more time at all... they will just pick up front wheel, throw bike in van/truck and its gone.

just like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96QM-lzLM8

skip to about 3 minutes to see the actual stealing.

Edited by John

Doesn't have to be anywhere near that complex.

1) Get a pay-as-you-go phone that has a GPS chip and can run Java apps. I use a Motorola iDen under Boost.

2) Activate said phone opting for the data package (Boost is 35c per day) and pay-as-you-go for voice

3) Visit instamapper.com, create an account and get a "device number" and then look at the install instructions. You go to a website, type your phone number in and it "sends" the java app to your phone. You instll the java app and it asks you for the device number you got from the website.

4) Couple tweaks to the phone to make the instamapper app auto start (takes 15 seconds) and that it cannot be shut down...

5) Hide the phone in the vehicle you are protecting. I isnatlled a cig lighter socket in a hidden place and plugged in a car charger. That's it.

You can go to the website at any time, log in and see current position and history.

The phone costs liskt $50. The service costs 35c/day, the instamapper service is free.

Biggest problem is that Boost changed their pricing plans and dropped their exclusive pay-as-you-go option so you now have to pay for voice minutes even if you don't use them. I'm grandfathered. Just have to find a provider that will let you use a Motorola iden phone. Heck, see if you can add it as an extra line on your cellphone account and share the minutes. Extra bonus: Charged-up cellphone in the car at all times in case of emergency.

all the fork lock does is keep honest people honest. thats it.

if someone wants your bike bad enough, the fork lock is not going to deter them AT ALL, and having it locked is not going to take them any more time at all... they will just pick up front wheel, throw bike in van/truck and its gone.

just like this:

skip to about 3 minutes to see the actual stealing.

I know that the locked forks would not be a deter for thieves, make it more difficult. But watching the video i would like to think my cruiser is heavier than a crotch rocket. Scary none the less.