anyone here make bbq?

oldschoolsdime92

I am looking at attempting to make my own brisket. I am going to smoke it, using indirect heat. I'm going to use a mix of charcoal and applewood, and a pan of apple juice under the meat. Now heres my question. Whats the general consensus on a remote dual thermometer, to measure the meat and smoker temp? Any suggestions? Thanks! :D

Will be monitoring this thread I want to get a smoker next year. We did pulled pork in the slow cooker and it was good, but I like the smoke.

Dry rub? Store bought or homemade?

Store bought sauce or homemade?

There is a store bought sauce I really like, I think its sweet baby rays.

Edited by crb

I ate at a small place in tennessee called Krambonz and it has me addicted, but also let down. I can't find any place that even remotely compares. So I am going to make my own.

I know tge feeling. Wife and I have experienced done excellent bbq I'm TN, AR, TX, etc. Nobody up north makes w decent bbq. I don't have time this year, but when Wifie gets off the truck and I go solo I will have time. Brisket and ribs are my favs. I love to cook, so making my own won't be hard.

I do but I've yet to give brisket a shot. I'm impatient and don't like to wait that long plus with my charcoal smoker its a pain in the ass. I've been perfecting my ribs and pulled pork and dabbling in a shredded beef thats pretty damn good. I'm hoping once I get the new house in order and furnished I still have some scratch leftover to pick up a propane smoker

I ate at a small place in tennessee called Krambonz and it has me addicted, but also let down. I can't find any place that even remotely compares. So I am going to make my own.

Haha we ate there as well bbq in Ohio just now sucks compared to that.

I really like sweet baby rays honey chipotle BBQ sauce. Just enough spice, but I have a dry rub I also really like. I am planning on using charcoal. What do you run into being an issue Bad? Maintaining temps? I have a gas grill I could easily set up as a smoker also.

I'll be firing up the smoker this week also. Have not decided between brisket and pulled pork. Smoked brisket is amazing but it is tough and takes longer to smoke than other meats. I wish I had a good recommendation for a thermometer to give but I just use old fashioned ones and check the temp periodically. Hope it turns out yummy!

I'm a sauce snob so I pretty much cant stand most of the sauces that can be commonly found in a local grocery store

Maintaining temp for that long of time is my issue which is why I've yet to give it a shot. Eventually I will but I'm afraid to mess up a nice expensive piece of meat like that

As far as thermometers go, I've tried a couple of the mid level electronic ones and wasn't that pleased with their performance for the price so I too just use an old fashion one that hasn't let me down

Save the fruit woods for poultry or fowl.

Hardwood charcoal with mesquite is the way to go with brisket. I personally don't like to use a whole lot of rubs or marinades on brisket. Salt/Pepper with a bit of paprika and garlic is about as far as I am willing to go. Smoke fat side up. 225 for 1-1.5 hours per pound, basted with beer.

Mesquite is definitely good for brisket. I also throw a dash (or a bit more) of whiskey and a half bottle of cheap beer on it overnight. Combined with some Worcestershire and nice light basting sauce during the smoking, really brings out the flavor.

I usually offer a couple of sauces and let people add to taste. Very rarely do they use much.

This is how the pork butt I smoked two weeks ago looked when it went on the smoker. Eleven herbs and bourbons :D

c573ac6e.jpg

Edited by J.W.
added a pic

old fashion is good for me! I am probably going to try the brisket in the next week or so. Do you have any sauce recipes you use, and make yourself? I'm game to make my own sauce.

I have a few but they are best for pork

Sweet baby rays is best you can buy from a store.

you absolutely HAVE to be trolling

I like sticky fingers, but not sure if its available up there. I didn't see it last time I was there.

Sent via Droid Incredible

It's available up here. I've had it and it's good depending on the flavor.

Negative! I know Jungle Jim's isn't your typical grocery store but you're in Cinci so it's a must go to. Hell even the Kroger Marketplaces have a decent selection of sauces. Like I said, I'm just a sauce snob and am lucky to have Quaker Steak and Winking Lizard bottle sauces on top of the fact I goto SC at least once a year and buy 10-12 sauces to bring back.

Ive also gotten to the point where I have to pair the right style of sauce to the right meat otherwise it just totally ruins it for me

Haha we ate there as well bbq in Ohio just now sucks compared to that.

Have you been to Rt 62 BBQ out here in Johnstown? I haven't been to any of the others that you guys talk about, but I've talked to people that have had some of the Texas, NC, TN, etc BBQ, and they say that 62 BBQ is as good, if not better. :dunno: I like it better than anything else around this area.

Negative! I know Jungle Jim's isn't your typical grocery store but you're in Cinci so it's a must go to.

Jungle Jim's is just down the street from me. I'm pretty spoiled in that regard. Their selection of hot sauces is much better than their BBQ sauce selection though.