anyone here make bbq?

oldschoolsdime92

I had a tough time maintaining temps all day. I think if I would have started with more charcoal at the start it would have worked much better. I was adding charcoal every 45 minutes to an hour.

it really is an art form and the more you do it and practice the better it is. I probably use 3/4 of a bag of charcoal that usually maintains temp for 8-10 hrs if done right. after 3 years though I still struggle so the propane smoker has been in the back of my mind for some time to get

what do people like for grills? i'm thinking about getting a natural gas grill (too lazy to fill up propane) that i won't have to mess around with and fix and clean rust off of constantly. any suggestions?

what do people like for grills? i'm thinking about getting a natural gas grill (too lazy to fill up propane) that i won't have to mess around with and fix and clean rust off of constantly. any suggestions?

spend the coin and get a Weber with a cover

spend the coin and get a Weber with a cover

yeah, but which one? they have like 8 billion grills (or 20... whatever lol)

the vast majority of time, it will be for my fiance and me... but every once in a while, we have people over. so total, i might be cooking for 4 to 16 people. when i say "I", I mean "fiance" but i'll pretend. but 99% of the time, it'll be for 2.

yeah, but which one? they have like 8 billion grills (or 20... whatever lol)

the vast majority of time, it will be for my fiance and me... but every once in a while, we have people over. so total, i might be cooking for 4 to 16 people. when i say "I", I mean "fiance" but i'll pretend. but 99% of the time, it'll be for 2.

honestly, the E210 is all you need plus the natural gas conversion kit

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/spirit-series/spirit-e-210

This might be overkill but would be what I would get for a natural gas application. You don't have to run all the burners and its not too massive. Hell the grill I have now is a 5 burner commercial series and 90% of the time its just the gf and I as well, I just run 2 burners

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/summit-series/summit-e-420

honestly, the E210 is all you need plus the natural gas conversion kit

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/spirit-series/spirit-e-210

This might be overkill but would be what I would get for a natural gas application. You don't have to run all the burners and its not too massive. Hell the grill I have now is a 5 burner commercial series and 90% of the time its just the gf and I as well, I just run 2 burners

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/summit-series/summit-e-420

here's my next question: would you get a new weber or a used viking (assuming viking was in good working condition).

here's my next question: would you get a new weber or a used viking (assuming viking was in good working condition).

how often do you grill? Viking is absolutely ballin out of control and one day when I'm too rich I will own one but I would say it just comes down to how much use and the $ amount

I have a Weber gas grill for everyday use, same grill going on 16 years. Worth every penny !

Bought a Smokin Tex about 10 years ago http://smokintex.com/1100.html. Flawless operation and auto temp control.

Recently bought one of the ceramic grills from Costco http://www.visiongrills.com/kamado-classic/ I have to say I was skeptical about all the hype of these and the relativly high cost for a Charcoal grill. But after a few chickens and pork shoulder, I am a believer. These things have fantastic temp control and will maintain temp unattended overnight using lump charcoal. They hold a true advantage in their ability to lock in moisture (as long as you don't keep opening the lid).

Bout to get back into the meat smoking this weekend actually. I was buying my pork butt at Costco BUT then found out GFS has it for 1/2 the price, which was already 1/2 the price of Kroger. And I will hapily smoke 20lbs of pork butt and eat that daily for every meal for 2 weeks, it turns out so good.

I only use dry rubs, usually make one for 1/2 the meat and use a standard premade for the other 1/2 meat. I get it going to 200-220 for 8-12 hours, I do not use a weight x time formula, I use a normal meat thermometer and just roll with it. I do rotate the 3 different levels of meat 1-2 times through the day and keep water in there, along with replacing the wood chunks when I rotate but that is just because.

Right now I use mesquite or hickory because that's what I have, but I want to get some fruit and do some smaller poultry items actually.

Smoking is my preference over grilling by far, but haven't had time yet this season, so I'm picking up the pork Weds/Thurs and letting it sit in rub for 24 hours-48. Cant wait.!!

I have a smoke box on my gas grill as well, but its so small, it would be hard to set it up for indirect heat.

This was my setup for Sunday. I had to keep hot coals going in the chimney to add ever 40 minutes or so to maintain heat. My next adventure, I would like to remove that from the equation. I'm going to try to start with a bigger fire instead of just one chimney full( 5lbs)

IMAG1372.jpg

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

for those that want to get into smoking a bit cheaper and already have a kettle style grill this is the way to go:

http://www.smokenator.com/store/

Soon enough, I need to start modding my smoker to make it easier to use. Temperature control is my next step for sure!

4 Tips that may help you next time. 1. Put some fire brick in fire chamber. This helps hold the heat. 2. Make sure lid seals tight. 3. Take cook chamber temp at food level. Not at top of hood. 4. Chimney should go all the way down to food grate. If it doesn't Roll up some flashing and put it in chimney and let it expand. Then slide it down so it is at rack level.

...is a religion.

We've done a fund raiser for the last 3 years(super bowl weekend) and have made no fewer than 40, 15 lbs briskets. Last year we hit 57. We are going to max out at 75.

Start off with your whole brisket. If it weighs less than 10 lbs, what's the point??? There needs to be fat on the meat. Rinse the meat, pat dry, and apply whatever rub you like. We use a blend of Montreal Steak Seasoning, Tony Chachere, and minced Garlic. Let this sit on the meat for no less than 4 hours(in the fridge) but 24 hours works best.

Start a fire with seasoned oak. Let the fire burn down to coals and heat up the BBQ pit to no more than 215 degrees. Add the meat fat side down for the first 2-3 hours, then turn over(fat side up) for another 2-3 hours. Keep the temp consistently between 185-215. Feel free to add one or two small pieces of Pecan wood.

Once the first 4-6 hours of smoking has provided that nice smoke ring on the meat, place the brisket on a large piece of foil, wrap it water tight, add a beer. Since we were working with a large volume of meat, we went with a cheap lager, at home I use Honey Brown, Shiner, or Guinness.

Keep in the foil and under the same heat for another 10-15 hours(either on the pit or in the oven).

Even if you have cooked the perfect brisket, if you cut it wrong, it will still be tougher than hell.

Briskets have two muscle sets, and need to be separated prior to cutting. Once you have separated the meat(silicon oven mitts are the best), then cut perpendicular to the grain, in no more than a 3/8 inch piece.

You should see a definitive smoke ring to the meat(two distinctive colors).

Nirvana has been reached....

well I am on a mission now to get a smoker. My grill is far from a good smoker, the lid doesn't seal worth a shit, it doesn't hold heat, and while the end product was decent, I feel a proper smoker will suit my needs much better. Here is a random video I found on youtube of my grill. I'm not sure what the guy is up too, but he made a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQzT6gsHbks

Does anyone have any suggestions on a reasonably cheap smoker? I have been eyeing this guy... but I have not decided if I want to go propane or charcoal

http://www.lowes.com/pd_190449-95393-MFY784CDP_4294857758__?productId=3294454&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&pl=1&currentURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=&stop_mobi=yes

My Weber Smokey Mountain bullet was the best food related item I've ever bought, well worth the money! It's absolutely an addiction. I'm in the process of debating getting a temp control fan or just get a propane smoker in addition. My buddy swears by his propane one