Apartment Garage Security? Need Advice/Help

TMCGRAW

I'm moving to an apartment here soon and of course they have the detached garage. I have things I need to protect, can someone help me with some ideas?

I've found the DeWalt Mobilelock, seems like a gimmick though.

I live in an apartment with a 5 car detached garage and the doors are always open (freakin neighbors..) Anyway I park my bike in the back in 1st gear with the wheel locked facing the wall almost touching and my car in front of it. Put a bike cover on it and If I take the car and leave the bike I put a ton of garbage cans around my bike and use a cord style bike lock and lock about 5 garbage cans to the bike. No problems so far. No problems so far.

Park it at my place. 3 American bulldogs, an arsenal, and a mal adjusted owner who's 230lbs.

I promise I won't ride it either :o

Last person with a list like that had PETA, FTA and Biggest Loser called on them. :lol:

Could always rent a cheap storage unit. Kind of a pain to drive to it just to ride but at least only you have access

I rent a garage. It's the other end of my complex but it's better than leaving the bike sit.

+1 on the ghetto claymore....

But really, just pay for decent insurance and don't worry about it.

And watch out for the neighbor with the lazy eye and bad habit of asking to borrow a few bucks till next pay day. ;)

I have installed security systems in apartment complex garages. as long as you have electric I can get er done. It uses a cell unit for central station monitoring.

buy a system from me and you own it and can take it with you to the next place. Not so with ADT.

Edited by max power

Could always rent a cheap storage unit. Kind of a pain to drive to it just to ride but at least only you have access

I second this notion. $50 a month was the best money spent for the 7-years that I lived in Chicago. Just make sure it is a storage unit that doesn't worry about the gas in the tank.

Next to that, it is not that expensive to buy a couple sheets of plywood, 2x4s and hinges to creat your own person bike box. That was my college solution when the bike had to stay outside one winter.

I rent a two car garage at my complex but if someone really wanted inside of my garage all they would have to do is scale the wall of a neighboring garage.

Despite most of my neighbors being f'in tools, nothing has disappeared in the year I've lived here with the Porsche and Duc parked in there along with a plethora of tools, surfboards, wheels/tires, car/bike parts, and work crap stored in it.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm looking into more of these things over the next week.

The lady said she's going to get me a garage close to the apartment, I just don't trust people. I have good insurance, I just don't want to go through the hassles of insurance.

I'd rather just have peace of mind first-and-foremost and worry about insurance if someone was to ultimately decide against all adversity, they needed my things more than I do.

I’ve read about people putting in a game-hunting-camera too to get photos of anyone stealing their things. I think that’s kind of funny, even more so if they steal your camera.

I honestly don’t worry about people stealing the bike so much as I worry about all my tools, bicycles, and that jazz.

Again, thanks for the ideas and help! If I buy any items I’ll stick to local vendors here.