More Bad News...555 Chip-sealed

drc32-0

Many roads all over have been ruined by this crap. They keep ruining them all It'll force me to stop being a rider. That shit is no fun to ride on.

I'm definitely not a big fan. Even after the loose chips are gone, more keep getting scuffed up. Worst of all is that the loose stuff is almost indistinguishable from the stuck stuff until it's slide time.

• Upvote 1

I'm definitely not a big fan. Even after the loose chips are gone, more keep getting scuffed up. Worst of all is that the loose stuff is almost indistinguishable from the stuck stuff until it's slide time.

Exactly! Well explained.

What exactly is chip seal? I've never heard that expression.

Do you mean the tar sealer for cracks in the surface or cold patch asphalt for pot holes?

Chip-seal is a form of road surfacing that consists of a mixture of tar and small limestone chips that are compacted down.Someone else might be able to give a better definition,but that's close.It's not bad for cars,but there's usually enough loose gravel that makes it less than perfect for motorcycles.

The surface of 555 has always been shit what's new? I call this kind of road tar & chip its like what the county uses on most of the back country roads. I have seen this used a few times lately as a temporary fix till a road is repaved.

• 2 weeks later...

I rode 555 today from South of Crocksville to Route 7. The area that was cheap and sealed is getting better, there is still some loose gravel in the center of the lane, but the car tracks are fairly clear. Just have to slow down and be carful in thoes area.