Planning A Ride: Dayton To Cleveland, The Long Way

wantahertzdonut

I'm going to Dayton this Saturday to meet up with my brother in law for a car race Saturday night, and I'll be riding solo back to Cleveland Sunday. I'm planning on taking the whole day and riding through parts of SE OH and was wondering if anyone had any particular suggestions.

Is it worth riding along the river and taking some of the roads between there and Columbus or if I should just make a line straight east to the SE hills and then start making my way north? Oddly I haven't been much past Columbus except for interstate and I haven't been to any of the hills in years, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Any good places to stop for food?

Here's one possibility that would take you on three really good newly paved roads...

heading east on 50...take 356 north to 56,east on 56 1 mile to 691 north to 33.33 west to 78 in Nelsonville.78 east to 685 at Bucktel.685 to 13 north to 78 east at Glouster.78 to 555 north at Ringgold.555 to 669 at Deavertown.669 to McConnelsville.At McConnelsville you can just go north on 60 to Zanesville where you can pick up 93 or 60 going north or head east on the interstate to I-77 if you want to make time.

One other option at McConnelsville...take a right at the bridge(south on 60) and go into town and head north on 376.376 will take you back to 60 at Gaysport.376 is a much better ride than 60.

691,685,669 are newly paved and twisty.356,78,555 and 376 are in good shape and twisty.

If my directions are alittle confusing,just look at it on google maps.If you like twisty roads,I think you'll enjoy this northerly route through S.E.O.;)

North Star Pizza in Gaysport is a pretty good place to eat.It's right at the intersection of 376 and 60,overlooking the Muskingum river.

Edited by drc32-0

374 through Hocking ends at 33 and then you can scoot over to the above mentioned roads. 83 runs all the way north as well. Twistier down south to sweepers and straighter up north (which may not be bad after a full day of riding).

Mary

So I had to do a complete change of plans, as it turns out I was leaving from Sydney and not Dayton. Since I didn't get to bed till 2am and slept in, I didn't have time to dip south before coming back home.

I just wound up taking OH 47 to US33, then to OH 162, zig zagging a bit and getting on OH 60 which was wonderful except for the very close thunder booming overhead. Then it was on to 83N and had to slab it on 71 to get home by 4.

I hope to make it back there this summer and ride some of the roads mentioned. I need to spend more time out that way!