Car transportation/hauling insurance-business question

rawlins87

What all is involved on the insurance and bmv/state laws side?

I've got a truck to pull a 3-4 car trailer (need to purchase a trailer).

I'm a driver and welder for the company I work at now had to take a physical for the state. Just not sure if I need to get an all out cdl.

Insurance, what would I need? Obviously enough to cover my truck, trailer, what I'm hauling and some liability coverage.

Possibly starting a new business or doing side work for a company.

What all is involved on the insurance and bmv/state laws side?

I've got a truck to pull a 3-4 car trailer (need to purchase a trailer).

I'm a driver and welder for the company I work at now had to take a physical for the state. Just not sure if I need to get an all out cdl.

Insurance, what would I need? Obviously enough to cover my truck, trailer, what I'm hauling and some liability coverage.

Possibly starting a new business or doing side work for a company.

Weight rating?

Cargo Insurance, Workers Comp, Truck/trailer coverage, may need a bond, may require a huge insurance policy incase of damage.

I would recommend over the wheel straps instead of chains.

In state or crossing state lines? You will need PUCO or DOT authority if starting your own business.

Edited by crb

it's a cut throat business, and unless you are willing to run illegal and off the books, your chances of success are near zero. thank uship.com for that.

Pretty much, and 2-3 car haulers have it worse as they can haul less cars. If I was going into it I would go with a 5+ car hauler more opportunities.

It would be to close states. PA, NY, KY, TN.

It would just be a weekend side business. And i have a company that could keep me busy with all the work i would want to do. If i make enough would do it full time.

Just curious on start up costs and insurance, cdl stuff

It would be to close states. PA, NY, KY, TN.

It would just be a weekend side business. And i have a company that could keep me busy with all the work i would want to do. If i make enough would do it full time.

Just curious on start up costs and insurance, cdl stuff

CDL depends on weight rating, and air brakes. Insurance and fuel will be one of your biggest costs. I couldn't begin to give you an idea of insurance costs, quotes should be free though. If you are contracting with another company you wont need your own DOT or PUCO authority.

My biggest fear is the cost of fuel and the costs to maintain truck/trailer. Tires are not cheap nor are oil changes. This is why I do not take the car dyno on the road any more.

Good luck Josh. Keep me updated on how it goes.