Print your own gun...

ReconRat

Waiting for magley to jump in...

wait, why?

What do I care about a 3d printer? I don't see the point, if you've got to print all of the little pieces individually and assemble them anyway, why not just use a 6 axis robot with a cutter bit on the end, and make it out of a block of steel?

And now for something completely different...

Snurfing around I find equipment to 3D print in plastics, metals, ceramics and....

glass from sand using sunlight to melt.

This guy is really cool. He thinks he can build a house in the desert using a bigger machine and nothing but sand and sunlight.

The Solar Sinter by Markus Kayser

dezeen_The-Solar-Sinter-by-Markus-Kayser_15.jpg

http://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2011/06/dezeen_The-Solar-Sinter-by-Markus-Kayser_15.jpg

Along the same lines, sand and ceramics for printing large structures are being explored in Dubai architecture.

Part of the deal for the future, is that some of the home made designs won't be printed at home. But rather, sent to a fabrication 3D printing shop for larger scale and/or special fabrication materials. That can somewhat be done already. Imagine designing your own car body, and having it printed up and delivered to your garage.

So... if you 3D scanned a Ferrari, and lowered the resolution from smooth curves to chunky triangles... What would it look like? I'm pretty sure this shape would be rather stealthy on the road.

Lo Res by United Nude

dzn_Lo-Res-by-United-Nude-91.jpg

http://static.dezeen.com/uploads/2010/07/dzn_Lo-Res-by-United-Nude-91.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

okey dokey... print your own fighter jet aircraft...

Airbus wants to plan ahead for printing an entire commercial passenger aircraft by 2050.

Until then, expect to see the passenger seats printed in 3D.

Wonder how long it takes to print cars and motorcycles...

Airbus designer reveals plans for 3D printed planes by 2050

Airbus_Concept_Plane.jpg

http://cdni.wired.co.uk/620x413/a_c/Airbus_Concept_Plane.jpg

edit: Maybe this is my future. Stay at home and design and print motorcycle parts. I think I might as well pick out which printer I want, and get started learning how.

ok, after looking at material properties, I don't see real good strength in any of the plastics currently used for 3D printing at home. Might be possible in the future, but right now the only people doing strong parts are either making their own filament from raw stock, or specially ordering it manufactured for them. I'm thinking that a good home CNC machine for working in metal is much more practical.

edit: Although I did find computer files for printing AR magazines. And that would be rather cool.

Edited by ReconRat

Check out http://www.shapeways.com. They offer a plethora of materials and are fairly cheap. The tolerances aren't as great as other services but this is geared more toward hobbyists. There are even people designing jewelry and then you can have it printed for the price that they set. I believe you can even get stainless steel parts printed

• 7 months later...

I stopped watching that movie at the 1:30 mark where they said the executive actions (sic) include "universal background checks as well as bans on assault weapons and high capacity magazines." That is pretty early on in a "documentary" to be pushing blatant lies. Since I didn't watch it, I may be misinterpreting what you're saying, JStump, but if you print a lower it is still a lower and defined by the BATF as a gun (in the ar15's case) so he certainly can't sell it. I'll sit back and watch his anarchist ass gets put in a federal prison (ok, I watched a little further than the 1:30 mark).

You can make all the lower receivers you want.

But you can't sell, trade, transfer or will them to inheritors.

edit: It is recommended that at some point put serial numbers on them for accountability.

You can make all the lower receivers you want.

But you can't sell, trade, transfer or will them to inheritors.

edit: It is recommended that at some point put serial numbers on them for accountability.

Do you have a specific instance that you are thinking of where inheriting a home-built receiver was illegal? The law states that it cannot be "for sale". I don't know of any cases where people made one, and then later decided to sell it only to have the BATF show up. Although the BATF is notoriously inconstant, I recall seeing letters come back where they dance around the issue of the legality of selling, so long as the receiver was not built for the explicit attempt to sell (they don't answer yes or no, presumably because then you would have to prove intent which is a whole different can of worms). With that being as murky as it is, I would imagine an inheritance is quite a bit more clear cut since the "for profit" aspect is null. I certainly don't know much about inheritance, probate etc. so if it is completely different please correct me.

I think it's a very grey area with no firm rulings. I think specific examples could probably be found that contradict each other. I've read that simple hobby stuff isn't necessarily enforced to the maximum rules that were intended for manufacturers.

So, results will vary. I think.