Back road corner carver project-Ninja 250R or 'zuki GS500F?

modular

Ninja 500. Water-cooled' date=' vs the GS' air/oil-cooled engine. :dunno:[/quote']

it does have a 15hp advantage or so, but the chassis is a noodle compared to the GS.

BRG racing welded the shit out of EX frame and reported some improvement, but it's just not a strong frame.

That's why I laugh at people who do fork swaps on EX500's. ZX-6 inverted forks look cooler, but they're only putting more stress on a frame that already flexes quite a bit...

Todd buy my camo ruckus $1300
Tempting, need to buy another safe Monday. Lemme see how much that sets me back.
I would think GS500's would have good real world street speed. Not looking to set the streets on fire any more. I like carving corners more than going fast in the straights.
corners are in areas littered with cars you'll need to pass at some point. I don't believe I've ever heard a gs500 called a corner carver
I rode a 2004 gs a few weeks ago. It seemed a lot less capable.than an SV and significantly less power. In fairness to the gs,I didn't get to ride it on very fun roads.

True and truer

I would love to head south & carve some corners on my 250. The reason I don't is that it's hard to carve a corner when I'm stuck behind a Chevy Cavalier or such. I've taken my wife's Ducati Monster 696 & it had sufficient passing power. I assume a SV650 would be similar. I don't think I would opt for less power than this. Also, fuel injection is a good thing.

A stock Ninja 250R is comparable in performance to a stock Buell Blast. I know how you all feel about Blasts, lol, so here you go.

Stock Blast:

WAY more comfortable seat

More useful torque

Better handling

More of a Fighter look

Stock Ninja 250R:

More aggressive riding position

Better acceleration when in powerband (though not by much)

Higher top-speed (not by much)

More of a super/sport bike look

Obviously, you can modify either one to better fit your tastes. Being 5'8" 175lbs myself, my Blast moves me around very effortlessly (though mines far far from stock). Even stock, it moved past cars pretty easily on the freeway; the 250R isn't any worse, actually a little better with a quick downshift.

Sure, I'd like to see someone else grab up a Blast, but I'm making this post more for a comparison of the 250R to a bike that most don't seem to like. Maybe this will give those that like the 250R incentive give the Blast a 2nd glance? Or maybe you're more willing to pass on the 250R for being similar to a Blast? I dunno, but there's some info for ya guys.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3154&stc=1&d=1344196082

Edited by Jet-Lee
  • Upvote 1

If you have $4k to spend and want a "corner carver" as it was put, the 250 Ninja and GS500 while fun little bikes, are below the standard of several bikes that are better handling, better ergos and overall, better bikes in general for even cheaper than the $4k entry price.

If you ever had a chance to ride the SV650 vs the SV1000, you'll note some serious differences. The 650 is a great bike and overall, a fun machine that will allow you to get out of situations you may not be as capable of getting out of on a 250 or the GS.

That being said, I rode a GS500 one time when I was taking one in on trade. It was the very first time on the bike and I decided that it couldn't be a serious machine by looking at it. I was surprised at how well it handled and my nuts declared it had more than enough braking ability once I pulled the lever with the mindset that it was surely under developed as a braking bike...

But, there are seriously better choices out there. Not saying the bikes you are referring are total heaps of shit, but simply, not as good of a choice when compared to others out there.

Also, I think you'll find the 750 Duc shown is as similar in ergos as the 250 would be. Slightly more bent over, but a set of common Heli-bars can easily fix that... Plus, a WAY cool steed...

I really can't go any more than about 15 degrees over on top and ride for any length of time. That is one of the reasons the GS500 is pulling ahead at this point. It has more of a standard seating position. The engine is simple and has proven to be bulletproof, the chassis is stiff, has good brakes and handles well.

What about a Ninja 650R?? It's just like a 250R but with some balls. FWIW mine is pretty comfortable, with upright ergos, decent wind protection, and a nice wide powerband that makes for easy riding and less frequent shifting. I looked at several bikes when I was shopping for a middle weight commuter/sportbike and the Ninja fit my needs perfectly. The suspension and brakes would be the only upgrades you would need to make if you wanted to get super serious or do track days...but you would have to do the same thing with any of the bikes you are considering.

Edited by drew95gt

What about a Ninja 650R??

These look like a viable option but a little out my set price range.

I know a few riders that have owned these. A capable carver and a unique ride with a cult following.

They definitely are holding their value.....the ones you can actually find. Very intrigued by this bike.

I am 5'10" around 140lbs and the 250 barely did it for me. I probably wouldn't recommend the 250 to any much heavier than that. I learned to ride on that bike and quickly grew out of it. It was a fun bike sometimes, but it is just too under powered for my liking. My 600 however is WAY more fun in the corners! Just my 2 cents.

Also, if you are looking for a more comfortable riding position, why not look into a normal sport bike and just get some bar risers and maybe some lower foot pegs, I think that would be more fun than the 250 by far. Never rode a gs500 though so I can't really help there.

Anyone have experience with the Honda Hawk GT (NT650). I have this thing for obscure, interesting bikes.

P9050005.jpg

great bikes. The original SV650, and before its time. They didn't sell that great when they were new, but now have a following of quite devoted owners.

A guy I sublet to in college bought one for $600, and that is the reason I started looking into bikes. "$600, and it goes 0-60 how quick?!"

I think they're good looking bikes too. Only draw-back is that it will be a bit hard to find parts, and I would be shocked if the SV650 isn't more powerful, and less noodly in the chassis.