'68 Mustang Convertible

Meanie

I am going to look at a '68 Mustang Convertible with the 289 in it tonight. The car has been sitting for several years. Apparently some squirrels got in to the interior and tore it up, but the car has been in a garage the whole time. the current owner said the fan won't spin so he believes the motor will have to be pulled and worked on. I haven't seen it yet, I am heading out there tonight to take a look at it. If the car isn't in too bad of shape I may have a project car for the next few years.

theres a red 70 vert for sale on e main street in reynoldsburg at the law office next to advance auto

SHHH!!!!! :nono::)

Saw this yesterday as well, not sure on price but I will stop tonight and check.

i always wanted to pick up an "unrestorable" 68 or 69 and then drop in the last generation 4.6 liter mustange engine.

mild "resto-mods" are pretty awesome, IMHO, and the original 289 and and '99-'10(?) era 4.6 are so close in size (281, i believe) that fitments shouldn't be a big issue.

Then again, at that point it's probably easier to just buy the Ford-authorized reproduction '65 body and chassis and build one new...

If I'm going to own a classic car, it's going to be driven, and that means I want at least SOME modern conveniences, like AC, decent reliability, and a chassis that doesn't flex like a noodle... Otherwise all it has to do is 0-60 in 7 seconds or so, and make a lot of noise.

i always wanted to pick up an "unrestorable" 68 or 69 and then drop in the last generation 4.6 liter mustange engine.

mild "resto-mods" are pretty awesome, IMHO, and the original 289 and and '99-'10(?) era 4.6 are so close in size (281, i believe) that fitments shouldn't be a big issue.

Then again, at that point it's probably easier to just buy the Ford-authorized reproduction '65 body and chassis and build one new...

If I'm going to own a classic car, it's going to be driven, and that means I want at least SOME modern conveniences, like AC, decent reliability, and a chassis that doesn't flex like a noodle... Otherwise all it has to do is 0-60 in 7 seconds or so, and make a lot of noise.

the 4.6 from 99-10 are way different....displacement doesnt mean anything for engine actual size....96-04 4.6 are smaller than the 05-10 4.6

4.6 engines are junk...even the 3v isnt that great....if you did this, go for the current 5.0 or find a 4v 4.6 out of a 96-04 cobra (or mach 1...but machs have junk internals, just like the base 4.6...so beware if you wana make any real hp with one)

fitment shouldnt be much of an issue at all. the 68 body style is a bit smaller than the 69, but you could fit a new 5.0 into no problem..you may have to modify the radiator support, but maybe not....the 69 body is huge, you could put whatever you wanted in that car with no major modification

if i was going to do this build, i would take a 64-68 body (not my favorite body, i like 69-70 much better) and drop in a 4.6 from an 03/04 cobra.....or, i would get a 69-70 and put in a new 6.2 out of the raptor

The car is in Westerville. I will call him and make sure it is ok to give out his cell phone number. I will post the pics I took yesterday.

The convertible top looked to be in great condition on the outside, the inside was a little tore up. The interior was trashed, a family of squirrels lived in it and tore it up. I would venture to say the entire interior would need to be replaced, including the dash, seats, and floors. the floor boards flexed about an inch when pushing up from the bottom. The drive shaft was not attached. The driver side of the car was pretty beat up. The trunk was still locked, and he does not have the keys. the hinges on the drive side door were weak and the door had to be lifted to latch correctly. There is some rear end damage, and i would guess 75% of the body would have to be replaced. part of the passenger side may be reusable. The car is a brownish color inside and out. Give me a bit to get the pics off my phone and I will upload them.

7 seconds? Are we still talking about muscle cars or did I miss where me switched to minivans? :)

I've seen and driven worse. It would depend on the price for me.

BTW, I agree with the comment about liking the 69/70 body a lot better.

I agree the 69 is what I wanted, had it been the '69 I probably would have bought it. But it's not so I didn't.