Recommend me a sport touring bike

ducatihottie999

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must mean weight ;)

Have you ridden a C14? The weight is a non issue, these bikes are so capable in the right hands....the weight just goes away once in motion. I will have to give my recommendation for a new Sprint ST or the new Ninja 1000, really hard to beat either one for a "sport" touring bike. Why get a used VFR when you can have a new or like new bike?

Ducati multistrada :)

+1

FJR1300

If willing to go to a 600, YZF600R is a great bike and can be had for ~$4k or less.

what is the reason for getting rid of the 998? Maybe that may help us know what you are looking for or not

...looking for a lighter used 900cc or above sport touring bike thats not super expensive...

Wow, lots of VFR lovers here. I guess it meets your criteria, though VFRs generally aren't cheap.

Sounds like you've ruled out most BMWs. Again, not cheap.

I would disagree with those suggesting FJR1300s, ST1300s, Concours 14, etc. Too heavy. As noted, yes it's true, the Connie carries its weight well. It's a bike I love. But still, facts are facts, and it's nearly 300 pounds heavier than the Ducati it is to replace. No hiding that big a difference.

XX certainly doesn't provide the upright riding position you mentioned.

Plus, I'll rule out naked bikes, since to me sport-touring requires at least a little wind protection.

So now that I've shot down all those, what do I have to say that's positive?

Triumph Sprint ST. Yamaha FZ1. Ninja 1000. Suzuki Bandit is a possibility, though also not real light. Aprilia Futura if you happen to find one and want something a little different and aren't soured on all Italian bikes.

All of those offer some wind protection, either have or can be fitted with hard luggage, and are available used at good prices.

Or just give in to peer pressure and buy a VFR. :D

the reason behind me choosing vfr was

- fairly good riding position

- good after market/ oem luggage support

- bullet proof engine and bike

- a very sporty performance in twisty

- heavy enough to have good long distance tour

- Not super heavy like true ST and that makes it easy for me navigate in a city like fighter.

bad

- not much suspension adjustment

- runs lean and hence pretty hot ( but good in ohio spring and fall :D )

- pretty costly- but good resale value.

I vote for the Triumph sprint. I have a red 2006 so I am biased. Does everything my Ducati sportclassic can do and is 10 times as comfortable doing it. It looks very similar to the VFR but has a power advantage with the 1050cc motor. You won't feel like your missing much if you move over from your 998. Last fall I rode down to the dragon on it. We did a 5 day, 1800 mile trip and I felt great on the bike even averaging over 350miles a day for days on end.

Here I am at the top of the blue ridge parkway on the way back.

PICT4892.jpg

Notice the other two bikes, a Ducati ST3 and a V-Strom. They are buddies of mine I work/ride with from here in c-bus. Both of their bikes are very capable for sport-touring also and have been mentioned as options.

Another shot of our group from a different overlook on the parkway.

PICT4917.jpg

Yeah....they are all severely used and discontinued by Honda.

XX, yes... VFR... no

I will have to give my recommendation for a new Sprint ST or the new Ninja 1000, really hard to beat either one for a "sport" touring bike. Why get a used VFR when you can have a new or like new bike?

she did mention price being a limiting factor, right? not everyone has unlimited funds for bikes.

I'm still on new or used VFR

Sport Tourer

BMW:

K1200S or GT ($8k or less these days)

F800S or GT

R1200R

R1200GS

Ducati:

ST3 or ST4 (just found this one http://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/3198448525.html)

Multistrada 1100

Monster

Triumph:

Sprint ST

Tiger

Speed or Street Triple

Honda:

VFR

ST1300

Goldwing

NC700

NT700V

CBR 1000R

Yamaha:

Tenere

FJ

FZ(1,8,6)

Kawi:

Concours

Z1000

Versys

Aprilla;

Mana GTS

Shiver

Tuono

Edited by Revelstoker

bad

- not much suspension adjustment

- runs lean and hence pretty hot ( but good in ohio spring and fall :D )

- pretty costly- but good resale value.

Just takes a few bucks to upgrade and clean up the issues.

- Can u say power commander?

Edited by mello dude

Honda 919!!! Great for 300 or less and can be packed down nicely, buuutttttt there is no wind protection. They are cheap and gutsy, some would even say fast! Handle well too.

Had one. I really didn't care for the cornering manners. It was good for around town, but if the pace picked up in the twisties that thing would buck and wallow and try to throw me off. Which was a shame because the motor is an absolute gem.

I still have the OEM shop manual if you need one.

I'm more than content with my first gen FZ1. With a shock and fork upgrade it handles just fine, can be packed down and cruises for days. You can get hard bags for it if you want. I have a top case and keep thinking about getting hard bags, though my soft bags do just fine.

On long trips it's; ride 200 miles, fill up, ride 200 miles, stop and take a break, repeat. If I'm a good boy I can get 220 to 240 between stops.