Getting a tattoo - advice needed

Scruit

After years of talking about it, finally decided to do it. Got an appointment booked at Sweet Baby Octane in two weeks to get this. Will be full color / photorealistic. The tat will be on my right arm from the shoulder down to the short sleeve line (7" tall)

tatto_design.jpg

I mentioned this is another tattoo post, but the backstory is:

My mother died on 2000, and the last words we spoke where when she was going in for the operation that failed to save her life. She jokingly asked if I was successful in life "because" of her in "in spite" of her. I did not answer her, uncomfortable with the poingant nature of the question.

The tattoo is going to be a photo-realistic rose (her name was Rose) with a long stem and 4 branches extending from the stem. Each branch represents one of her children. On each branch there will be a number of leaves representing her grandkids My branch would have one leaf representing my son. My older brother's branch would have 2 for his two kids, etc. Space will be left so that leaves can be added as more grandkids are born.

The stem will extend below the 4 branches, and there will be a vine with leaves that spirals around the stem but is not actually connected to the stem. This will represent the kids that were not hers but that she helped raise diring her many years working as the manager of a children's home.

Finally, there will be a banner across the stem, right under the the head of the rose that contains one word that I should have said to her before she died.

"Because"

Advice needed:

Is there anything I need to do to prepare other than make sure I'm well fed, well hydrated and haven't taken any alcohol or painkillers. I've heard multi-vitamins with zinc helps the healing? Also I'll wear a sleeveless workout shirt (that I don't mind getting blood or ink on) so I don't have to roll my sleeve up.

The tattoo artist tells me it will be 4 hours. What do you do for 4 hours? Talk to the artist? Read a book? Listen to music?

The pain is not something that concerns me. In Marital Arts I've lived through a broken nose and cheekbone, a broken ankle, pieces of my foot bone torn off my toe by the ligaments, torn ankle ligaments and a broken rib/sternum cartilage - all in the last two years. If they didn't bother me enough to stop doing MA then the tattoo won't bother me either.

Anything else I should be ready for?

Edited by Scruit

Have someone paint you a nice picture...not tattoo it on your body.

Tattoos equal white trash.

With your accent, you can't pull off white trash.

I can wear a wife beater and drink A 24-pack of Old Mill-Donkey if that makes it better? :cool:

I hope you're joking..

As far as time goes you can talk to your artist. My artist and I have sessions like therapy.. :) every artist is different, they may ask you not to talk or they could be like my artist. I usually read if I'm there for 6 hours or more. Other than that there really isn't much you can take (vitamin wise) to help with healing. Just LISTEN to your artist, they know best. Don't go off what anyone tells you. There is a reason they are still in business. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your experience, oh yeah, welcome to the addiction. :D

Martial arts and tattoo pain are two different beasts. I've broken my leg and nose several times and almost yelled when my last tattoo came up the inside of my elbow, where blood is drawn. Either way you'll be fine, it's not like you can stop once it's started.

Sounds like you are well prepared. Eating is a big part. I would bring snacks if it'll be 4 hours. They'll likely need breaks and 4 hours of seat time could turn into 5+ hours.

Congrats!!!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Either bring some water or the shop my provide bevages. My tat was about 2 hours. There was alot of general chit-chat at the beginning during the outlining. Then when there was more detail, closer lines were being done, we did not talk.

The artist was able to read my body language and asked if a break was needed.

For my second tattoo, I was originally thinking of getting a pinup girl, but realistly, I have a more meaningful one in mind.

I took a picture of my dad's hand holding my hand during his last week of life. I plan to have a realistic tat of this picture with the words, "Strenght, Honor, Courage" written underneath.

Tats are for life and seems you've made the right choice for you. I have some old coverups that I'd mistaken for good ideas at the time in my teens, but I got them all fixed with a themed sleeve.

First time huh? Talk to an artist while he's working unless it makes HIM less comfortable. If the guy that does my ink wants some quiet work time, I shut up - Whatever puts HIM into his "good work" state of mind if you know what I mean. I let him jam whatever music he wants. Sometimes I just let him ask me things, and feed off that before interrupting too much. I'm sure you wont have any trouble with the outside of your arm, not too hateful and easily bareable. The outside of the elbow was brutal, underarm and inside of the elbow (that baby delicate stuff) actually wasnt too bad either. But that elbow......forget that crap.......dont know whether to laugh, cry, or soil the chair

When I get tatted I usually play on my phone unless the artist wants to talk. I have found that most artists want to make some small talk while doing the work. The arm isn't that bad of a place to get a tat. As for them being white trash that is coming from someone that is frankly dumber than a box of rocks. Tattoos are how someone expresses themselves. It may not be for some people but for others they are a great idea on how to remember a time in there life or even a loved one. I hate to go on a rant like that but some people need to realize what they are saying before they say it. Good luck on your tattoo.

Congrats on getting some ink. Its a very personal choice and not for everyone. All of my tats can be covered by a short sleeve, at my job I have too deal with some closed minded people who may attempt to judge me too. Be sure an post up some pics, cant wait to see it.

^douches gonna douche

:bow:

tats are amazing. i love your idea, its amazing. thats not very large or detailed though for 4hrs. but each artist is different. my tat guy ive know since we were 12, so kinda like bros. but any other shops though i just bullshit with em, the shop i went to for a few had no cell sevice so no phone play. i am also addicted, since ive started i havent gone more then 6 months in between tats lol. once your tatted, i mean more then one or two small ones, it really becomes a part of who you are. i have 11 btw lol. so good luck and listen to your artist and it will be fine. clean and lube lol.

:bow:

tats are amazing. i love your idea, its amazing. thats not very large or detailed though for 4hrs. but each artist is different. my tat guy ive know since we were 12, so kinda like bros. but any other shops though i just bullshit with em, the shop i went to for a few had no cell sevice so no phone play. i am also addicted, since ive started i havent gone more then 6 months in between tats lol. once your tatted, i mean more then one or two small ones, it really becomes a part of who you are. i have 11 btw lol. so good luck and listen to your artist and it will be fine. clean and lube lol.

I was surprised when he said 4 hours. I was also surprised when he said there would be no outlining - right to color. Something about making it truly realistic. If it was a simple flat color rose then it would be much faster (another tattoo artist said 2 hours, but his portfolio shows he doesn't have the same level of realism as Rev.Dice at SBO).

He also said we'll have to add something around the rose to make it appear to lift off the skin - I agreed, but left that in his hands. I'll see his rendering on the day.

Every time I look at this concept I get choked up. I have such high hopes for this, it has to be perfect. (Just like everyone else says about their tattoos...)

I have done weeks of research and visited 4 different places, reviewed about 10 portfolios, spoke with about 20 people who have had tattoos. SBO was the only shop that gave the the tour of the facility, showed me the equipment, all the stuff in individual dated sterile packs, autoclave area, spore test schedule etc. The guy gives off a vibe of utter pride in his work and he was real personable. I have great confidence in his work. Other places gave me a hinkey feeling (the same feeling you get when you're signing the papers to buy a car you need but you KNOW you're getting a shitty deal on). Nothing but good vibes from SBO.

What's really cooll is that it has a story that is personal to you and you want to get it inked. That's what I like about tattoos. Each has a story to tell and what is really cool is when someone asks you and you tell them the story. It essentially will keep your mother in your thoughts and touch each person who asks.

Very cool.

Let me know how it goes as I am wanting to do a half sleeve, but really want a kick ass artist.

If you're not joking this is a really poor time to voice your opinion given the meaning of the tattoo.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Let the artist make it as big as he wants, he knows best what size it has to be to work in the detail you want. Have him sketch it as many times as it takes for you to not just accept the work, but love it and need it on your skin. Accept nothing less, its his for a few hours and then its yours for life.

Biggest advice I can give is to find the right artist and give them as much artistic freedom as you are comfortable with. Just check out the sketch/stencil before the work gets going to make sure you're ok with it. The results end up really good in my experience.

Think of chatting like talking to your hair-cutter. Sometimes they want to talk, sometimes trying to start a conversation is like pulling teeth. Books and games work as long as you're not moving the part they are working on. A friend to chat with is a great option too. Being along and taking in the experience is cool too.

Biggest advice I can give is to find the right artist and give them as much artistic freedom as you are comfortable with. Just check out the sketch/stencil before the work gets going to make sure you're ok with it. The results end up really good in my experience.

Think of chatting like talking to your hair-cutter. Sometimes they want to talk, sometimes trying to start a conversation is like pulling teeth. Books and games work as long as you're not moving the part they are working on. A friend to chat with is a great option too. Being along and taking in the experience is cool too.

I'll be alone. I don't want to disturb the artist so I will let him set the pace for any conversation. I'll have my phone with me but it'll be on airplane mode.

Amazing design and back story.

I have always wanted a tattoo but I won't get one unless it has some kind of importance to me. When I was going to join the air force I was going to get one that incorporated all my family members who had/were serving with ranks, insignias, years served and other details. Still have plans to do that but need to get with a friend who is an amazing artist to make the design for me.

Good luck with it and I hope it turn out better than you can hope for!