Stompgrip vs rearsets for a broke short rider?

RHill

The only way I can get my outside leg really planted into the tank is by standing on my toe to make my leg as long as possible. It works, buy it kills my leg....actually had my calf cramp at Nelson when I was taking my boot off for lunch(stayed hydrated all day).

I don't have the cash at the moment for adjustable rearsets unless I go cheap ebay or happen to get lucky with a deal. I'm just wondering if stompgrip would help keep my outside leg from floating around and give a more secure feeling?

Or should I just wait, and put the $50 toward rearsets?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to look into them. I'll give you one thing, it looks a hell of a lot nicer.....but it doesnt look as "coarse" so it might not provide as good traction as stompgrips.

On another note, I guess I could use my stock rearsets and machine a plate to act as a riser. But then again, the grip on the stock peg is not the greatest, so I'd be buying a new peg anyhow.

Edited by RHill

Stock pegs suck on the 01 but nice boots help though (heal nserts are cheap :D). If your on a budget get the grips for the end of the season and new rearsets this winter IMO? Im 6'3" so I am not familiar with your issue. I have issues with draggin my toe on the inside and thats with my toes in and up on the stock pegs.

Edited by Habi

sounds more like you're doing it wrong. you shouldn't have to hang onto the bike or be pushing with your legs for any reason other than switching side to side.

there's lots of crazy myths of riding going around. even Mat Mladin said in an inteview all this monkey like hanging off these guys are being taught is rediculous and even rossi agrees with mladin. so two of the fastest riders to ever race agee on that. you look at pictures of both of them and their outside legs aren't planted to the tank at all. and they're def not using it to hold themselves up on the bike because they're not hanging off too far.

7605996926_b37e777be2_c.jpg

all I know is I sat on a R6 and my leg fit tight to "lip" on the tank and felt secure...with my gsxr I have to flex my calf to anywhere close to the same feeling. While in a turn, if I stretch my leg out to get it planted into the tank the bike feels much more stable than if I let my leg relax.

BTW Craig, thanks for the tips....I tried moving the inside elbow a little and it made a huge difference.

sounds more like you're doing it wrong. you shouldn't have to hang onto the bike or be pushing with your legs for any reason other than switching side to side.

there's lots of crazy myths of riding going around. even Mat Mladin said in an inteview all this monkey like hanging off these guys are being taught is rediculous and even rossi agrees with mladin. so two of the fastest riders to ever race agee on that. you look at pictures of both of them and their outside legs aren't planted to the tank at all. and they're def not using it to hold themselves up on the bike because they're not hanging off too far.

7605996926_b37e777be2_c.jpg

http://youtu.be/SuW0pTykohs?t=2m49s

Theres a few seconds of me riding, critique my form if you like. It's not the greatest, but I'd say it is far from hanging off to put my knee down. Later in the day with higher speeds I was leaning off a little more...but still nowhere near what I'd consider hanging off. I'd rather go fast and have fun then be worried about scrapping a piece of plastic on the ground.

all I know is I sat on a R6 and my leg fit tight to "lip" on the tank and felt secure...with my gsxr I have to flex my calf to anywhere close to the same feeling. While in a turn, if I stretch my leg out to get it planted into the tank the bike feels much more stable than if I let my leg relax.

BTW Craig, thanks for the tips....I tried moving the inside elbow a little and it made a huge difference.

As a reference I do not fit on a R6 at all. It feels like I am riding my sons big wheel. Your bike fits taller riders well and it will may be hard to get that R6 feel.

Edited by Habi

All I can say is I've been on the track for 2 years not and I have yet to put knee to pavement. But that doesn't stop me from running a :19 a nelsons and a :09 at beaver. Mid-O is a whole other story for me though. More time there and I should get better.

going by the time of my gopro, I ran a :26 during the final open session of novice...ape hanging and only touching the brakes before turn 13 :D

it's just another expense after you go through them. i'm not sure why i didn't think of this when i was jelly of the knee draggers way back when.

I promise not to be your personal roadblock in the kink.

Seriously,I wasn't sure of the speed I should carry thru that section !

Stomp Grip !

Oh yeah, while we are so far off topic, you mentioned about gearing.....I've got a 50t rear sprocket if you want to give it a shot. I've got a chain to fit and a 16t front sprocket too, but they are in PA. I'll snag them if I make my way back there before PIRC.

Oh yeah, while we are so far off topic, you mentioned about gearing.....I've got a 50t rear sprocket if you want to give it a shot. I've got a chain to fit and a 16t front sprocket too, but they are in PA. I'll snag them if I make my way back there before PIRC.

I might be interested depending on price !

his knee is nowhere near that tank. his thigh of course is touching it because you'd have to be legless for it not to.

In order to not put weight on the bars you have to hold on with something. He is using his outside leg. Everyone teaches that but then I guess people like Keith Code really don't know what they are talking about.