Stompgrip vs rearsets for a broke short rider?

RHill

Look at your picture . Is your foot touching the foot peg ???? Yes it is ! You have said ya thought stomp grip was for breaking. I'm assuming your squeezing the tank w ur legs under breaking???? Well then its quite similar while cornering . Instead of using both legs as u do when breaking you're using your outside leg .

On the track no I usually cannot reach my outside peg at all. If I can it is just barely. (Im not that short it's just those pegs are very low, got rearsets now though). I've seen motogp riders not touching the outside peg at all many times.

I don't use stomp grip so I don't really brake with my thighs squeezing the tank much. Really nothing like cornering.

Edited by ped

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tech Spec Pads are AWESOME - I use those.

You might want to go with Stomp Grips - many bike applications come with grip pads that go on the TRIM below the tank.

This way you might not have to flex your toe so much.

Braking is WAY easier with grip pads, too - NIGHT AND DAY more secure for hard braking.

Are your OEM pegs adjusted all the way up?

I know on '06 and newer you could adjust them higher - I prefer them this way on my bike.

Edited by QCDragon

On the track no I usually cannot reach my outside peg at all. If I can it is just barely. (Im not that short it's just those pegs are very low, got rearsets now though). I've seen motogp riders not touching the outside peg at all many times.

I don't use stomp grip so I don't really brake with my thighs squeezing the tank much. Really nothing like cornering.

Riding a motard is another example where it is impossible.

The point was your feet can touch the pegs . Under breaking u have a choice . Support your weight with your arms or legs ya don't have any other options. Which is stronger your legs or your arms ? Do u walk around all day on your hands ?? Oh and BTW rueben xaus famous pic of him sliding the hypermotard with one hand off the bar (thumbs up) would be an example of using his legs to hold on

The point was your feet can touch the pegs . Under breaking u have a choice . Support your weight with your arms or legs ya don't have any other options. Which is stronger your legs or your arms ? Do u walk around all day on your hands ?? Oh and BTW rueben xaus famous pic of him sliding the hypermotard with one hand off the bar (thumbs up) would be an example of using his legs to hold on

Nope again as I said they actually can't touch the pegs. I use my crotch against the back of the tank and my arms under braking....then adjust my body position for cornering. I have no idea what you're talking about with walking on your hands but Xaus is sitting on the seat and sliding the rear end. That's not cornering anyway. Not to mention is outer knee is pointing away from the tank making it impossible to hold on with his thighs. I can do the same thing when leaned over (take one hand off). Who manhandles the bars?

Show us a pic of you hanging off a table holding yourself with one leg.

Edited by ped

Nope again as I said they actually can't touch the pegs. I use my crotch against the back of the tank and my arms under braking....then adjust my body position for cornering. I have no idea what you're talking about with walking on your hands but Xaus is sitting on the seat and sliding the rear end. That's not cornering anyway. I can do the same thing when leaned over (take one hand off). Who manhandles the bars?

Show us a pic of you hanging off a table holding yourself with one leg.

Omg pay attention! Your feet are touching the foot pegs in the picture you posted !!!"

While cornering at the track you are obviously moving your ass so far that your foot no longer touches the foot peg !! Stop moving your ass so far and your foot will still touch the damn peg !!!! The point of asking do u walk on your hands is to illustrate that your legs are stronger ! Under breaking its a lot easier to support your weight with your legs rather than your arms . Furthermore it allows you to feel what's goin on up front and not put any unwanted inputs into the bars . xaus is in the corner !!! Watch the video

Omg pay attention! Your feet are touching the foot pegs in the picture you posted !!!"

While cornering at the track you are obviously moving your ass so far that your foot no longer touches the foot peg !! Stop moving your ass so far and your foot will still touch the damn peg !!!! The point of asking do u walk on your hands is to illustrate that your legs are stronger ! Under breaking its a lot easier to support your weight with your legs rather than your arms . Furthermore it allows you to feel what's goin on up front and not put any unwanted inputs into the bars . xaus is in the corner !!! Watch the video

Yeah... meandering on the street. Don't need my foot to touch the peg or touch it hard on the track. You'll also note my leg isn't touching the frame nor is my knee touching the tank. Just like Xaus here.

ruben-xaus.jpg

If he was holding on with his leg it would have to be flush with the side of the tank for leverage. Betchya the majority of his mass is resting on the seat....

Under braking it is alot less straining to use your thighs in conjuction with arms. We're not talking about braking though. Once turn in happens all weight is off the front, body is setup and mass is on the seat.

What you're confusing as holding yourself on the bike is simply "weighting" the outside peg theory or technique. Not all do that.

Edited by ped

Why does everyone assume because the knee isn't touching the leg isn't doing anything. Stompgrip is to aid in stability while cornering. Is the outside leg holding me on the bike, no not really until you hit a bump mid corner. The leg is used to provide a stable platform. I personally use from my knee to about 6"back. Is this the absolute way it must be done, no the placement isn't as important as the use of it. Without using the legs you will never fair well at a track with a lot off bumps.

oh I don't know, because it's my body and and can tell if I'm using my muscles or not Einstein

No this is nothing like weighting pegs (which is useless). Xaus is using his thigh (part of his leg right) on the tank.

we all get the tank is being used as a anchor. it and the seat. you guys are making it sound like you are using your leg to litterally hang with and not anything else but the leg by pressing it against the tank on the outside. some of you are even making it sound like you're using the inside leg to push down on the peg and hold yourself up. if that's the case you're 100% wrong if you think you are. your seat is doing 99% of the work. why you guys or anyone else would turn it into a workout session is just stupid.

Edited by serpentracer

Yeah buddy he's holding 150lbs with one thigh!

how the hell did you come up with using your thigh to hold 100% of your body weight, that doesn't even make sense based on the slope of the tank where your thigh touches.

The load is distributed between the feet, butt, thigh, elbow, hands and where ever else your body happens to touch the bike. No matter how much anyone wants to say differently, those are the points of contact with the bike so they are all going to have some type of load on them. You can distribute it however you want.

Yeah... meandering on the street. Don't need my foot to touch the peg or touch it hard on the track. You'll also note my leg isn't touching the frame nor is my knee touching the tank. Just like Xaus here.

If he was holding on with his leg it would have to be flush with the side of the tank for leverage. Betchya the majority of his mass is resting on the seat....

No one said the knee had to be in the tank to create stability. You have leverage backward, using the knee would require MORE force than using the inner thigh, just like he is doing in the picture. You are only applying pressure to keep your body stable, not to support a huge % of your body weight...your body weight will be driven down through the the plane of the bike for the most part, supported by the seat, pegs and some weight on the bars.

we all get the tank is being used as a anchor. it and the seat. you guys are making it sound like you are using your leg to litterally hang with and not anything else but the leg by pressing it against the tank on the outside. some of you are even making it sound like you're using the inside leg to push down on the peg and hold yourself up. if that's the case you're 100% wrong if you think you are. your seat is doing 99% of the work. why you guys or anyone else would turn it into a workout session is just stupid.

My leg is in a better position for grip on the side of the tank if I stretch it out; put your foot in your boot, sit down, lift your leg off the ground and extend your toe. It has nothing to do with loading, the physics of the bike going around the turn or anything else....the boot resists the motion of extending your toe. Add some weight onto it(just like you do by putting your foot on the peg) and it will become even worse.

It sounds like you guys just want something to argue about.

I'm missing your point about putting weight on anything other than the seat. and why you need grip while cornering. I simply do not do any of that and have no issues. I can feel physics working to keep me from falling off to the inside of the bike.

I honestly don't understand what any of you are talking about. there's a reason why race seats are neoprene like foam. it grips your suit very well. wonder why that is....

Edited by serpentracer

You have got to be the dumbest person alive. Guess you didn't read where I said it's the foundation for your upper body.

No no no Craig this dude has his own world renowned riding school and a long list of champions he has trained !!!!!! Wait that's not true it must be Cali superbike school I'm thinking of

I'm missing your point about putting weight on anything other than the seat. and why you need grip while cornering. I simply do not do any of that and have no issues. I can feel physics working to keep me from falling off to the inside of the bike.

I honestly don't understand what any of you are talking about. there's a reason why race seats are neoprene like foam. it grips your suit very well. wonder why that is....

well if your comfortable riding that way, then good.

I gave my explanation in post #1 and #9: the bike feels more stable when my leg is planted, and hit huts my calf to strecth my leg to reach that postion.

So you are saying you use you legs and core? You're waffling a little bit now. Because if you just let inertia have its way you'd be laying on the tank.

So nothing? No retort? No explanation? I'll take it as you were agreeing with what blue was stating.

Well, figured out part of my issue. My left rearset was bent slightly downward; apparently damaged when the previous owner laid the bike down. Bolted up the rearset from my 01 and now my foot feels much more solid on the peg. Explains why my left foot always wanted to "walk" to the outer.

I'm not sure why I never noticed before.