question on sights

speedytriple

A co worker of mine is being redeployed at the end of the month. He is looking at a few sights he wants to use when he gets deployed. I have no experience with high dollar sights so looking for input from some of you who might have used the acog which is what he used last. Or if anyone has tried the new leupold hamr sight. This is the other sight he was looking at. Thanks for any input.

I have an eotech on my rifle, granted I've never served in the armed forces but I am a shooter and the eotech works great. Trijicon acog is an awesome sight with an equally awesome price tag. Never used an aimpoint but have heard great things about them. I chose the eotech based on size, ruggedness, utility even with light damage or mud/blood/zombie brains partially obscuring the lens, battery life and cost. His mileage may vary.

Where is he being deployed? What unit? If he is combat arms they should issue him a M4 with full kit. If he is going to be a fobbit, a $1500 scope is kinda wasted. Not to mention there is a high possibility he won't be allowed to change his loadout from unit SOP.

I second what 4DAIVI PAI2K5 and BDBGoalie asked. From my 12 years of military experience, you get what is issued to you, and you can't change it up. Of course, if he did, someone would have to notice and care. I wouldn't recommend it, though.

Now if he was a Special Forces or Ranger kind of guy (not sure which branch he is), he could probably get away with it.

Ok i talked to him today at work. He said yes he is in spec ops so he can set his gun up how he wants it. He is being deployed to a area in the southern region is all he could tell me. Said that most conflicts are out past 200 yards in mostly open areas. He is going to be using a m4 and might also be using a a m14. So not much close quarters stuff. I sent him a link to that specter dr sight. Thanks for the info parks.

Ok i talked to him today at work. He said yes he is in spec ops so he can set his gun up how he wants it. He is being deployed to a area in the southern region is all he could tell me. Said that most conflicts are out past 200 yards in mostly open areas. He is going to be using a m4 and might also be using a a m14. So not much close quarters stuff. I sent him a link to that specter dr sight. Thanks for the info parks.

If our marine spec ops units need to resort to having their civilian coworkers ask for gun advice on Internet motorcycle forums, then I do believe Chesty Puller is turning over in his grave.

LOL Tom He is looking for input for new sights besides the acog. He has used a acog on his last three deployments but they where all cqb situations. Just looking for input on the hamr sight he was also looking at the 6x acog. He has been looking for online reviews of longer range sights. I know that some of you have used what he has been looking at so I figured I would ask.

If he is Recon or MSOAG he really shouldn't be asking these questions, let alone from civvies. M4A1 SOPMOD??

Not much CQB is nice, but he will likely see both kinds of combat.

EOTechs are great.....to the limit of your vision. 200M engagements on average mean adding a magnifier at the least to that loadout. Not to mention that EOTech means batteries to carry and fail.

ACOG is a good choice for distance. Tritium/Fiber powered so they won't go dark on you. The ACOG/RMR model even includes a reflex optic on top of it for close encounters. Only downside is the cost.

A Night Vision device will be a near requirement, so whatever optic he goes with it will have to be able to have a NV device clipped in before or after. IMO, lining up sights with the helmet mount sucks and is not fast. Add in the AN/PEQ-2 and a foregrip and you got a heavy rifle to lug around.

But this is a moot point if he really is Special, he should be issued this stuff.

2617799378_48686f0ea4.jpg?v=0

Edited by BDBGoalie
Added image

LOL Tom He is looking for input for new sights besides the acog. He has used a acog on his last three deployments but they where all cqb situations. Just looking for input on the hamr sight he was also looking at the 6x acog. He has been looking for online reviews of longer range sights. I know that some of you have used what he has been looking at so I figured I would ask.

Go with the higher power acog being he is familiar with it for the longer shots. Then side mount an RMR holo sight next to it for the CQB stuff. Just roll the gun a little further over to the side and you get new sights.

ff-8.jpg

Mike, the dude is yanking your chain a bit. He claims spec ops but needs your input on optics? Please...

Also, the ACOG is a magnified optic, its perfect for those longer range situations he's claiming he'll need a new optic for. It's passable for CQB (better with a reflex sight on top like someone else mentioned), but longer stuff is where it shines. 3 deployments with it and he should know that. You do realize it has built in bullet drop compensating out to 600yards right?

Mike, the dude is yanking your chain a bit. He claims spec ops but needs your input on optics? Please...

Also, the ACOG is a magnified optic, its perfect for those longer range situations he's claiming he'll need a new optic for. It's passable for CQB (better with a reflex sight on top like someone else mentioned), but longer stuff is where it shines. 3 deployments with it and he should know that. You do realize it has built in bullet drop compensating out to 600yards right?

+1

I should have caught this eariler; MARSOC is a advancement opportunity for reservists, but I'm almost certain there is not a reserve MARSOC unit. I call bullshit on that alone.

Only SOCOM reserve units I know of are 19th, 20th, and Reserve PJ's and NSW.

Edited by BDBGoalie