anybody ever ride in arizona? AZ-89A specifcally?

MIKE53ALI

Last time in Sedona,AZ, the wife and I rented a Harley (full size goldwing clone) from Eagleriders. The plan was to make it towards the Grand Canyon area.

The rental place provided a map. We made it to Jerome, Happy Jack, and then to Flagstaff.

Due to my awesome map reading skills, we turn more east then north leaving Flagstaff. Ended up in Winslow, AZ. Managed to get a picture of the statue of the guy "Standing on a corner in Winslow,Az" from the 70's song 'Take it Easy".

After we looked at the map again, and the time, it would be close to the time to return the Harley in the same day without getting charged for the next day.

Hightailed west on rte 40. The hardest part was dealing with the strong cross winds. I had the bike wide open, but was still being passed by semi-trucks.

Ended up riding 89A south, back into Sedona to return the Harley. It was tricky controlling the speed and brakes on that final down hill, switchback filled road leading into Sedona.

Edited by scottb

I haven't rode 89A yet but I live in southeast AZ and while most roads here suck there are a lot of really awesome roads. 191 from clifton to alpine is an awesome ride. Very technical but fun. I plan on taking a weekend and riding from my house to winslow. Now they have a flat bed ford sitting on the side of the road near the corner of route 66. Another well known road is The one going up Mount Lemmon outside of Tucson. It's a good ride but being so close to town and the military bases it gets too much traffic, even during the week. The best roads out here are done on dual sports, side by sides or trucks.

my girlfriend and her family used to live out in AZ. Her dad has been telling me about all the sweet roads I would love out there and its been killing me. Her aunt still lives out there and a buddy of mines parents bought a house last month near Flagstaff. I will get my ass out there one day with the bike to ride

a few years ago i rented a concours 1400 (great sport tourer), started at Phoenix and rode around scottsdale but the weather got ugly. ended up with a mustang convertible rental and had to cover some snow covered roads on the way through prescott, sedona, and jerome. it was awesome. would LOVE to do it again on a BIKE.