first gun

ninjachic

500 S&W will stop a baddie if he gets in your way

From what you have said. I would check out some 22lr pistols. Try the ruger mark III or browning buck mark. Or maybe check out some full size 9mm models like the sprinfield xd or smith m&p.

You may thing the 22lr felt like a toy, but I have to agree with Mike here. I always recommend 22lr initially to everyone because it gives you a great basis to expand upon, you won't get scared off by recoil and most importantly, the hidden cost of ammunition is quite low. You don't realize how much ammo costs until you try to get serious trigger time and then end up blowing through $100 (retail) in just pistol ammo in a day. With 22lr you will not be discourage and can shoot plenty without tiring and get good fundamentals

500 S&W will stop a baddie if he gets in your way

You may thing the 22lr felt like a toy, but I have to agree with Mike here. I always recommend 22lr initially to everyone because it gives you a great basis to expand upon, you won't get scared off by recoil and most importantly, the hidden cost of ammunition is quite low. You don't realize how much ammo costs until you try to get serious trigger time and then end up blowing through $100 (retail) in just pistol ammo in a day. With 22lr you will not be discourage and can shoot plenty without tiring and get good fundamentals

yeah thats what I was thinking. hmmm....I've got time off on tues. Maybe I can go look on tues and see what I can find and what I like.

If your in CBus come up to my shop. We've got a pretty good assortment of handguns big and small right now. Cant really shoot them there (Hilliard PD frowns on it), but we can find something that fits you.

614-777-7678 ask for me or Todd, one of us is usually there heh

Anything 9mm or smaller is horrible for defense but for the most part cheaper can be cheaper at the range. The best gun I can recommend is the taurus judge. It is a revolver that shoots .45 long colt or .410 its cheap to shoot doesn't kick to bad for a revolver and with the .410 loads you don't have to be too accurate. Check out the winchester .410 defense rounds that were designed for the taurus judge. I believe smith and wesson have a similar gun with .45 acp .45 long colt .410 and maybe .454 called the governor. In a high stress situation the semi auto handguns become hard to use due to the body's fight or flight response affecting fine motor skills. It takes a lot of training to be able to overcome that and be able to get a good sight picture or take care of any malfunctions. Watch any police shoot out video they are trained often and still very seldom hit their target without unloading their gun by firing all the rounds in it. Also if you use it in a self defense situation you need to worry about over penetration (going into another room or house). Shot guns loaded with shot will get the job done without being as likely to go through your neighbours house also. I would recommend getting a short barrel .870 for home defense. 18.5in is the shortest you can get. They are inexpensive and easy to operate. Then after that get a taurus judge or sw governor. Then worry about a small cal range gun.

Sorry my sarcasm font must not be working ninjachic. Glocks are reliable guns just not everyones top pick.

Really?

Glock has more LE and Military contracts than any gun maker in the world.

Glock is chosen in most every dept that gives officers a choice in duty weapon.

Glock is rated higher and trusted more than Mp and XD both.

XD has never recieved a LE or Military contract ever.

XD has yet to be approved for any PD primary weapon, that I know of.

I choose Glock 19 as my primary.

Carry what you choose, carry what you can afford. When it fails you, replace it with a Glock.

Anything 9mm or smaller is horrible for defense but for the most part cheaper can be cheaper at the range. The best gun I can recommend is the taurus judge. It is a revolver that shoots .45 long colt or .410 its cheap to shoot doesn't kick to bad for a revolver and with the .410 loads you don't have to be too accurate. Check out the winchester .410 defense rounds that were designed for the taurus judge. I believe smith and wesson have a similar gun with .45 acp .45 long colt .410 and maybe .454 called the governor. In a high stress situation the semi auto handguns become hard to use due to the body's fight or flight response affecting fine motor skills. It takes a lot of training to be able to overcome that and be able to get a good sight picture or take care of any malfunctions. Watch any police shoot out video they are trained often and still very seldom hit their target without unloading their gun by firing all the rounds in it. Also if you use it in a self defense situation you need to worry about over penetration (going into another room or house). Shot guns loaded with shot will get the job done without being as likely to go through your neighbours house also. I would recommend getting a short barrel .870 for home defense. 18.5in is the shortest you can get. They are inexpensive and easy to operate. Then after that get a taurus judge or sw governor. Then worry about a small cal range gun.

Cooter I respect your job and all but this is wrong. The judge is junk. The reason police dont hit their targets are because most only shoot during qualifications. 9mm is used the world over. I would bet it is right behind 7.62 in terms of number of kills.

• Upvote 1

I can tell you that if you want to go to a range to rent a few guns, I would steer away from new albany unless you want them to talk to you about guns in terms of shoes because you're a woman, so that must be the only thing that you understand!!! lol.

If you know anyone at OSU, they have range days at ROTC building on thursday. Its super cheap to shoot. Its $10 and that covers pretty much everything including instruction if you need it.

If you want a woman's insight Osu MJ is probably the most knowledgable female shooter on here

I get my limited knowledge from listening to howie chat, and COD lol. I hope i'm not the most knowledgable lady here. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Check some recent news stories to see how effective a .22 is for self-defense. I can think of at least two situations where a .22 was used in a home invasion situation and the intruder was killed. My wife just got a Ruger SR22. It's a very nice gun; fits in her hands well; easy to rack the slide; very little recoil. I took it to the range and I'll probably end up shooting it more than her. It's really a fun little gun. And if you need to use it for self-defense, a gun that you're comfortable with is better than no gun, or a gun that's beyond your comfort level. Just my opinon. :)

I can tell you that if you want to go to a range to rent a few guns, I would steer away from new albany unless you want them to talk to you about guns in terms of shoes because you're a woman, so that must be the only thing that you understand!!! lol.

If you know anyone at OSU, they have range days at ROTC building on thursday. Its super cheap to shoot. Its $10 and that covers pretty much everything including instruction if you need it.

Dead on about AimHi at New Albany. Stay the hell away. My girlfriend (who is only coming around her distaste of guns because I keep them at the house) got seriously talked down to when we were there renting at the range.

Check some recent news stories to see how effective a .22 is for self-defense. I can think of at least two situations where a .22 was used in a home invasion situation and the intruder was killed. My wife just got a Ruger SR22. It's a very nice gun; fits in her hands well; easy to rack the slide; very little recoil. I took it to the range and I'll probably end up shooting it more than her. It's really a fun little gun. And if you need to use it for self-defense, a gun that you're comfortable with is better than no gun, or a gun that's beyond your comfort level. Just my opinon. :)

This

Kel Tec P-11 or PF9 as some will recommend

Also, I have a P-11 and I would NOT recommend it for a first gun. I carry it most of the time, but it's not much fun to shoot a whole lot at the range. Long, heavy trigger; very snappy recoil. Your hand does hurt after a while.