Question for LEO's

04DayTri

Ok so I know there's a couple LEOs on here and I'm just looking for advice. I decided a while back I want to be a LEO as my career. The issue I'm facing is obtaining my OPOTA. With the job I have now its not possible to go to an academy through a community college because my work schedule changes weekly although I do know my schedule typically a month ahead if time. I've been applying and taking any civil service test in NE Ohio hoping to score high enough to get sponsored by a dept and have it paid for but it's starting to seem like it may take a while( couple years). I have the funds to pay for the classes as open enrollment and from what I've read that's typically the most flexible way to do although not the cheapest. Is there any other suggestions for OPOTA certification you may have? What are some downsides to the open enrollment classes? Also I'm hoping to be able to do this in NE Ohio. On the website it says they have a satellite branch in Richfield which is only 20 miles from me.

I only have a few classes left and will have my associates. With that being said it seems that the OPOTA cert is more important than the degree. Majority of LEO jobs require you to already have your OPOTA before you can sign up to take the civil service test. The places that don't require you to have to take civil service test do give you bonus points added onto your final score of your civil service test.

Getting a LEO position today seems to be very hard unless you're military or a minority, and that's not my opinion that's what I have been told by officers and background investigators. I was OPOTA certified and spent a year trying to find a job in Ohio and outside of Ohio and still haven't found anything and may not renew my certification. Even after passing the tests all they tell is you they'll let you know and some of the places didn't even do that, they pretty much leave you hanging. It's definitely frustrating and honestly without OPOTA I'm not sure that they'd choose you since they have to pay for you to go through academy and hope you pass the test, plus there's an abundance of people looking for work as is. Good luck to you, though.

Who the hell would want to be a cop!?! Fuck the police! Go take the fire test.

I know a lot angry, bullied, short statured, not very well educated people that would love to be cops. How tall are you, OP?

But I see what you did there Sniper and I'll be quiet now. :D

I'm actually in the process of doing the same thing, except in Cbus. I've pretty much had the same experience as you - most places require the OPOTA cert before you can take the civil service exam but Cbus is an exception. Once you pass all of their testing, background checks, interviews, etc you get accepted into the academy and they pay you and also pay for you to take the OPOTA exam after the academy from what I understand. Once you get your cert, you receive your appointment. Unfortunately, Cbus is the only department I have found that does this. I looked all over NE Ohio and found nothing similar. I thought about just paying for the classes myself as well, but I don't wanna shell out that money and then not find a job. Good luck.

^ This. We had 6 or 7 people make it through academy only to fail the PT test at the end. Also, dress properly no matter what. It's amazing how many people show up in jeans and sweatshirt or worse than that. When I went to Columbus' test I was surprised how many people looked like they just woke up and didn't care. How you dress says a lot about you even if it's just to test.

Lol I'm not short by any means, I'm 6'3" 220. The big cities typically do have you do all the tests first and will put you through their academy but the 2 big cities up here ( Cleveland & Akron) haven't said anything about testing.

As far as being in shape, I've taken and passed numerous PT test for different cities and also passed the physical for the OHSP Academy so that's not an issue. It just all seems to revolve around that OPOTA and I understand by no means does the gurantee a job but it deffinately opens up more opportunities than just paying $25 for each civil service test and hoping to score high enough for a PD to sponsor me to do it

I think your on the correct path/theory. OSP, CPD and the big cities will bring people on and put them through respective academy's. A few others agencies will bring you on as a "police cadet" and enroll you into one they choose also. But having your Cert gives you a lot more options into jobs, and having a degree also is becoming the trend (Associates Degree Min)

On average unfortunately, your correct with the hiring of smaller agencies with affirmative action. I've had numerous friends miss jobs for which they are more then qualified for because agencies need a certain number of minorities per capita of the populas. Outside of that, the average wait from application date to official start date is around 8 months - 1 year depending. If your schedule allows it, finding a "basic" opota course and getting through it will help and once passed just apply, apply apply. Keep your options open and keep trying until you get an offer.

As a side note, have all your information and records in order. Every application better have all the same information about your, your past jobs and etc. Background checks pull everything, including your financial history typically and credit. I've seen peopled dismissed simply due to being financially irresponsible. It's not an easy job to get currently for the most part, except for the biggest of cities due to the class sizes and retirements. (CPD is taking academy after academy to replace retirees, from DROP, state retirement changes to PERS-LE, and insurance etc)

Edited by SJC1000rr

The problem with big cities is that so many people have the same idea that the city will get 1,000 applicants (maybe more) and they're currently only looking to fill 30 spots during that hiring period or less. Sometimes it's 1,000 applicants applying for one or two positions. But on a side note, OSP is really looking to hire so you may have a better chance with that but you will be going through a boot camp and only home on the weekends.

State patrol was actually my first choice and still is. I passed the physical and written and the polygraph. But after the background check I was told due to previous driving record and a couple other things that were to recent in my past I would have to wait and re apply. It was nothing serious that prevent me from a career in law enforcement and was encouraged to re apply, it was just to recent in the past and the troopers are very rigid and strict in their hirring process.

When I was 20 in 2000, I was dumb and passed OSHP test. Luckily a girl talked me to moving out of state near Kansas State with her and that stopped me. I'm glad I never became one. I couldn't live with myself being a hypocrite giving tickets when I speed myself now and then. I think I just wanted to be on the side to be above the law because I have ran into some fucked up cops. Had one harass me late at night because I was lost in my car and try to provoke a fight with me but I hardly spoke. He was yelling for me to hit him and all that shit. Find out later he was involved in the Carrie Colberson case down in Blanchester for disposing of her body! Piece of shit he was. That isn't why I don't care for them really, it's just everything about them in general. I've never been in trouble with the law either, so HA! You don't have to be a menace to society to dislike cops. Once you put that badge on you just need to accept that you are hated by many now. :lol: Funny, but true. I wish you success though because I hear the field is so full that it's hard to get a job in it.

IP said it best.......:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M8vei3L0L8

Edited by NinjaNick

You sure it was the OSHP test? As far as I know your not allowed to apply until 21 and I know for sure cant be in the academy until 21 and that's a long shot at best. They will tell you flat out they prefer you to be mid 20s. Ill be honest and say that at 21 I wasn't mature/responsible enough to be a cop that's for sure. As for all the bad cop stories blah blah blah, the news portrays only cops that get in trouble which is MAYBE 2-5% of all the cops in the US. Everyone forgets about the other 95% out there doing the right thing and living and honest life each day and it sucks

Good luck. I wouldn't do the open enrollment I know of at least 5 guys that did that and the only work they can get is part time and auxiliary. The job market is flooded with people trying to get a Leo job right now. Why would a city or small town hire full time when they've got enough people to do it part time or auxiliary? Your best chance is look into federal honestly. If you are willing to relocate and are interested in that look into usajobs.gov. I had a friend of mine that was part time in Ohio for a couple of departments but kept getting passed up for full time due to affirmative action. He moved to California and got hired on out there no problem.

I'm assuming your saying Flint or Detroit based on the fact I used to live in Bowling Green. I'm currently in Aurora which is half way between Akron and Cleveland, which is why I was asking if anyone had experience with open enrollment at the Richfield satellite campus for OPOTA training