Tires for 2006 Kawsaki Concours ZG1000

Jcarlson

I need a new rear tire and I know nothing about MC rubber - double ply, radial,???. I'm not a balls out rider, especially on a beast like that, I just like going down the road - back roads, highway, whatever. I want a good tire that'll last more than a season or two, but not the most expensive or advanced. I need a 150-80-16. I know the brand names like Dunlop and Bridgestone, but what are some other good brands that won't melt my credit card?

Thanks

Jim

1,500 - 2,000 miles per year and less than $175. I don't go on long trips. Mostly to work and back (35 miles round trip) and a few hundred on weekends. It's not my sole transportation but I ride whenever I can.

I wouldn't I want a cheap tire, but rather an inexpensive tire although I don't mind paying for quality - if any of that makes sense.

For example - I can get an $80 tire but if it's only going to last 3,000 miles and doesn't grip worth a crap or isn't a smooth ride then I don't want it. On the flip side if there is a brand that's $175 or so that'll last 10-15k miles and will grip like it's mounted on a rail then I'll spend the money.

Like, I know car tires. I know I can get a 40k, 50k, 60k mile tire. I won't buy a 40k tire but I might buy a 60k tire if it's a good brand and within my budget. I know Michelins, Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Continental are good brands, but I can't afford 4 Michelins for my SUV (that's like $800).

I looked on Iron Pony and eBay. I see Avon, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Continental. Never heard of Avon. Are they any good? Are they a low end tire? That's what I mean when I say I don't know MC rubber.

I hope that cleared up the mud.

Almost every brand makes a good tire, the thing you have to find is which of their tires is good for you. I myself suggest either the pilot road two or threes. I believe you can find them online for 250 a set. They last between 10,000 and 15000 based oh how you ride.

I used the avon storm 2 ultras on my zx14 they had about 7k on them when I traded it in and the salesman thought they only had a couple hundred miles on them. Great traction wet and dry, smooth ride. I'm not sure if they are available in your size or not but if they are I would highly recommend them.

You're asking the question every rider asks: What can I buy that lasts a long time, holds like glue in wet and dry conditions, and won't cost me an arm and leg? The answer: They don't make 'em....yet.

Tire technology is SO MUCH better today than it was even 5 years ago. However, even the old bias ply tires from the 70s and 80s seemed to last longer than the new radials do now, right? Well, no one had a street bike back then that could put 140-165 RWHP down! And you couldn't rail in the twisties on a bias-ply like you can a radial. Ride hard with both your right hand and your brakes and your tire goes bye-bye real fast.

That being said, if you're accurate in your description of yearly mileage and riding style, any of the dual-compound sport-street or sport-touring tires would work for you. Harder rubber compound in the center of the tread; softer rubber on the sides for grip. The aforementioned Mich PR2s or PR3s are great tires, but a higher-priced choice. Figure anywhere between 6000 - >12000 miles of life. I've heard good things about the Metzler Z8 Interacts as well as Pirelli Angels, too.

My choice for aggressive street riding has always been the Metzler Sportec M3s--good to great all-season grip, nice feel with smooth ride and no tread noise, and reasonably priced for the performance/wear qualities. A set runs about $180-$200--not including mounting--and I would typically get about 3500-4000 miles (Kaw GPZ1100, 540#) out of them. Given that your yearly riding would give you 2-3 seasons out of them, I'd say they'd work for you, since it's a good idea to change tires out every 3-4 years anyway, whether they're worn or not.

Edited by Bubba

I need a new rear tire and I know nothing about MC rubber - double ply, radial,???. I'm not a balls out rider, especially on a beast like that, I just like going down the road - back roads, highway, whatever. I want a good tire that'll last more than a season or two, but not the most expensive or advanced. I need a 150-80-16. I know the brand names like Dunlop and Bridgestone, but what are some other good brands that won't melt my credit card?

Thanks

Jim

Why. go cheap on tires? You only have 2 of them under you, is your life worth saving a few bucks on

Edited by 2talltim