Help me haggle on a bike!

smashweights

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're thinking about it all wrong mate. Us Ducati owners prefer to offer MORE than is asked, just cos we can. We like people to know how huge our wads are!!

That's a great point. I'll throw out more than the original MSRP of a new bike, just so he, and everyone I tell the story to, will know that I'm the boss :D

But Recon, that's where my rationale is coming from. To me, if I can snag it for $8000, that seems like a great deal for me. Just wanting to confirm that others thought so too and see if anyone thought he might bite at that price.

OK, I am going to take the other angle. Your talking about a lightly used 2012 bike that retails for $12k. And, you want to go in offering 60% of the value?

The bike is a good buy at $10k. I would offer him $9 and be happy that I got a good deal. If you look around, you can find late model Monsters with some of the common mods/aftermarket equipments for similar money. But, they will have more miles.

Here is an 1100S for example: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/128-bikes/148546-ducati-monster-1100s-ohlins-carbon-fiber-termignoni.html

Your only real bargaining point is that it is not an S and it doesn't have the Termis added. So, you will be looking at $2k for a those and another $1.5 for a Racetech or Ohlins cartridge on the forks.

Don't be a cheapass and hold firm at $9k.

OK, I am going to take the other angle. Your talking about a lightly used 2012 bike that retails for $12k. And, you want to go in offering 60% of the value?

The bike is a good buy at $10k. I would offer him $9 and be happy that I got a good deal. If you look around, you can find late model Monsters with some of the common mods/aftermarket equipments for similar money. But, they will have more miles.

Here is an 1100S for example: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/128-bikes/148546-ducati-monster-1100s-ohlins-carbon-fiber-termignoni.html

Your only real bargaining point is that it is not an S and it doesn't have the Termis added. So, you will be looking at $2k for a those and another $1.5 for a Racetech or Ohlins cartridge on the forks.

2012 doesn't have an S edition. And if his starting offer is basically $9000, why wouldn't I try to work it down? And I AM a cheapass, just with expensive tastes... :-P

Edited by smashweights

2012 doesn't have an S edition. And if his starting offer is $9000, why wouldn't I try to work it down? And I am cheapass, just with expensive tastes... :-P

Got me on the S and I understand the tastes. Ducati always seems to have a base and S. Evo or Evo SP model. I am just not that up on the Monster offerings as I am still in mourning at selling my Hyper.

Bike is a 2012 with 1k miles that retailed for $12 and he probably paid the $500 or more for the break-in service. $9k seems like a very fair price for what you are looking to buy and is priced to sell. If he was starting at 9.8, then I would agree you have room to move him down.

I think 9k is fair and wouldn't want you to miss the deal. I know you said 8.5 was your limit and you can try. My only haggling points was the lower spec model but that isn't valid.

I hope it works out.

Bottom line, pay what you want to pay. If your willing to pay 3x the value do it. If your willing to pay half offer that. It's what you really want to pay. I'd offer a little less then my top dollar and go from there.

For my top dollar I'd 1. Find out the real reason he's selling it. 2. What's the value nada and kbb. 3 how much its going to cost to drive how ever miles to get it and come back. 4 subtract cost to pick up from value there's my offer.

But that's just me.

If he thinks he can get 9 at the dealer then he probably won't do less than that. Also make sure you can pay the maintenance for a Duc. Have you priced how much that'll cost to go to a reputable Duc tech?

jesus.. offer him 8k and go from there.

if he gets offended fuck it.

most likely he will come back at you with a counter offer. just keep your top dollar price in your head and hold firm.. if he cant come to that then keep looking.. end of story

BTW Ducatis are expensive to maintain, but that old ass Pauly can take care of you at a cheaper price than dealers.

and now the belt maintenance is alot longer intervals, so its mostly valve adjustments that are needed frequently.. which i think is 7500 miles on that model.. waiting for Pauly to chime in

most likely he will come back at you with a counter offer. just keep your top dollar price in your head and hold firm.. if he cant come to that then keep looking.. end of story

BTW Ducatis are expensive to maintain, but that old ass Pauly can take care of you at a cheaper price than dealers.

and now the belt maintenance is alot longer intervals, so its mostly valve adjustments that are needed frequently.. which i think is 7500 miles on that model.. waiting for Pauly to chime in

Don't get too perturbed by my hesitancy! :p As far as maintenance, i'm not a terribly high mileage rider, so a 7500 mile interval is probably gonna be once every 3 years for me. And I've heard these are fairly easy to wrench on yourself, which I've always done with maintenance type work on my vehicles, so long as they aren't major engine work. Plus aren't you one of our resident OR Techs? I'd certainly look into our local guys here for work so be excited :cool:

Edited by smashweights

The bike is a good buy at $10k. I would offer him $9 and be happy that I got a good deal.

Spoken like a true Ducatisti....

I've always found it much easier to go bike shopping with other people's money, too!

Would you pay me $8820 for that bike today, right here, right now? That's how much money he is asking to walk away with if he sells it through the dealership. That's a lot of savings over the NADA value for the bike at $10,240.

If you are willing to pay $8500, I wouldn't bother playing games and would just tell him this is what you offer based on today's value of the bike with your offer decreasing as the bike ages. Paying the full $9800 is a deal according to the prices I've seen on the internet.

This isn't the only one out there. Don't fall in love with it. But if you want this one - at the price he is asking isn't it likely to sell quickly?

all this!

trying to work on a deal isn't any harder than this

That's a lot of savings over the NADA value for the bike at $10,240.

Dude, nobody pays NADA Retail for a bike in a private party sale. You'd be foolish to pay that from a dealer! NADA price is an average of all the regional dealer sales from the previous quarter, so you're looking at peak season prices as reported by dealers from 1-3 months ago. Plus, the value set for a used 2012 is likely based on a very small number sold of that model, so one or two high sale prices are gonna skew the number significantly.

...at the price he is asking isn't it likely to sell quickly?

A used bike, end of riding season, priced at $10k? Not likely.

I think it is 7500 miles as well. Did my bike and my husband's S4RS last year - $1k each at Northern Ohio Ducati. I'd stick with dealer service for the first few years of the Ducs life and for the first service interval at least. Just in case. No offense to the other service people on the board but if you should have any issues, it's much easier to have a "discussion" with Ducati if you have done service through a certified dealer.

Mary

BTW - offer a little less than you are willing to pay and go from there. If it doesn't work out, you continue your search.

Don't get too perturbed by my hesitancy! :p As far as maintenance, i'm not a terribly high mileage rider, so a 7500 mile interval is probably gonna be once every 3 years for me. And I've heard these are fairly easy to wrench on yourself, which I've always done with maintenance type work on my vehicles, so long as they aren't major engine work. Plus aren't you one of our resident OR Techs? I'd certainly look into our local guys here for work so be excited :cool:

yessir.

the worst part about working on ducatis are the expensive tools :cry:

Dude, nobody pays NADA Retail for a bike in a private party sale. You'd be foolish to pay that from a dealer! NADA price is an average of all the regional dealer sales from the previous quarter, so you're looking at peak season prices as reported by dealers from 1-3 months ago. Plus, the value set for a used 2012 is likely based on a very small number sold of that model, so one or two high sale prices are gonna skew the number significantly.

A used bike, end of riding season, priced at $10k? Not likely.

That's all good to know. I never knew how they got their numbers. I'll remember this when I go shopping.

yessir.

the worst part about working on ducatis are the expensive tools :cry:

They dont use standard/metric sockets or something?

I think it is 7500 miles as well. Did my bike and my husband's S4RS last year - $1k each at Northern Ohio Ducati. I'd stick with dealer service for the first few years of the Ducs life and for the first service interval at least. Just in case. No offense to the other service people on the board but if you should have any issues, it's much easier to have a "discussion" with Ducati if you have done service through a certified dealer.

Mary

BTW - offer a little less than you are willing to pay and go from there. If it doesn't work out, you continue your search.

I'm sorry, did you say $1,000 for routine scheduled maintenance? :wtf: I assume the S4R was a bit more for the 7500 mile service given the 4-valve engine vs. 2-valve...

Edited by smashweights

If you have 8k to pay i'm sure you have the 9k, just go get it and quite nickel and diming around

You're talking to a guy who's planning to drive 1200 miles round trip and blow an entire weekend to save $300 in shipping costs! Don't get me wrong, I'm not financially crumbling, but $1000 is still $1000. Not to mention fuel costs to drive 1200 miles round trip plus taxes when I register it in Ohio. Not to mention some loan interest accruing until i sell the R6 and get my tax refund. Besides, my dad was the kind of guy who made me get a second plate of food at the buffet cause we were damn sure getting out money's worth! I can't help it.

also i thought you side you had some jewish in you

you should be teaching us how to haggle, not the other way around :lol:

LOL! Well if can pull off getting this thing for $8k I just might! Edited by smashweights