fun twisties close to columbus???

Chuck78

Trying to go somewhere other than the usual Hocking Hills region this weekend. Are there any really fun routes around chestnut ridge Metro Park? We're looking for something closer to colimbus than hocking, with good hills and scenery. I was also considering heading towards Apple Valley & Mount Vernon. any good suggested routes?

Not really, any twisties out there are small low-speed roads. There are some decent roads out by Amanda, but at that point, you are almost at Hocking.

188 between the by pass and 674 is fun, but there is a OSHP den on it now so you see a lot of those scumbags.

Edited by max power

I think you guys misunderstand the definition of "close"

Coshocton - ~90min

Hocking - ~60min

OP there's really nothing of "twistie" definition anywhere near cbus other than Coshocton or Hocking.

90 min to get to Coshocton from Columbus? :wtf: Not that it takes that long to get there anyways, but the twisty bits start before Coshocton. ;) Take 70 to 79 North, 79 to 541 SE, 541 once in Coshocton to 16 South, then 16 to 83 South, then 83 to 93 SW....then 93 will dump you at New Concord just East of Zanesville. You can either hoof it back to Cbus or make a nice big loop back home. Look at a good Atlas, follow the routes I gave you and see what you think. The route I gave you aint too shabby. :cool:

Only have to go 35 minutes from the east side to find some fun twisty roads.

Ride out SR16 to Hanover, take Hickman Road out to SR79, take that north/east to 541, ride out to Coshocton...have some lunch in Roscoe Village.

That's one option.

Yes that is another great option.

Found this link to Dream Ride 2012 route!

http://goo.gl/maps/OZB4j

It's between that and this:

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/motorbike-rides-in-united-states-/oh--know-licking-holmes-coshocton-stark---___40870.html

zoom in to NE of Columbus. I always click satellite view so I can see better where the wilderness areas are. Follow 62 N from Columbus into the twisties to Millersburg, then pick my route on any of those awesome twisters south, southeast, southwest (to Coshocton , Zanesville, Salt Fork Lake, and/or Newark) and eventually back to Columbus. I didn't realize there were so many killer roads out that way!

Sunday chance of precipitation just increased a lot during the day, and no longer going to hit 64 degrees, so trying to rearrange the ride for Saturday now. Mountain bike Sunday if it doesn't rain much, not as adversely affected by precipitation as riding twisties on a motorbike!

Follow the sciota river north from the zoo. Try both sides east and west. Not really twisties but some nice scenery and curves.

I followed Riverside Dr from downtown earlier this year all the way north to the zoo and far beyond, was a nice fun city ride and beyond. I think I rode almost to Delaware on basically the same road, maybe it turned into Klondike Rd or something I think I remember? After Riverside ended at a 4 way stop. Just keep going forward northbound, was a refreshing close ride. Passed just a few cars, and one guy going the other way on a newer sport bike that also looked to be out enjoying the best route inside of the I-270 outerbelt

:motothumbsup:

The wilderness is always where I strive to be, on foot, camping, road biking/camping, mountain biking, motorcycle riding, car sightseeing... But in a pinch when I want a fun little cruise for an hour or so, that was an excellent choice!

I followed Riverside Dr from downtown earlier this year all the way north to the zoo and far beyond, was a nice fun city ride and beyond. I think I rode almost to Delaware on basically the same road, maybe it turned into Klondike Rd or something I think I remember? After Riverside ended at a 4 way stop. Just keep going forward northbound, was a refreshing close ride. Passed just a few cars, and one guy going the other way on a newer sport bike that also looked to be out enjoying the best route inside of the I-270 outerbelt

:motothumbsup:

The wilderness is always where I strive to be, on foot, camping, road biking/camping, mountain biking, motorcycle riding, car sightseeing... But in a pinch when I want a fun little cruise for an hour or so, that was an excellent choice!

I used to live on klondike the further north you go the more narrow twisty and gravely those roads get. Take it up to route 4 then get on 203 and follow that south some decent turns on that or 257 up that way.

Next time your near 37 and 71 find hogback road I think you'll love that one. There's a parking lot that is off of it park there look for the trail. I think its a horse trail but about 25 yards in it comes to some cliffs that over look the water pretty neat.

Edited by cOoTeR

Trying to go somewhere other than the usual Hocking Hills region this weekend. Are there any really fun routes around chestnut ridge Metro Park? We're looking for something closer to colimbus than hocking, with good hills and scenery. I was also considering heading towards Apple Valley & Mount Vernon. any good suggested routes?

Mid Ohio

I hear that... Luckily my brother usually buys two season passes for MidOhio, both in his name, so he can bring a guest every time!

See your 77 GS 750 in your sig, I used to have a 77 550.....oh how I wish I had kept that jewel.:nono:

Mine looked just like this......

77gs550.jpg

I really wanna do that route on US62 to Millersburg then south on many of the awesome looking roads around there, but the DreamRide2012 google map I found made it too easy for me to pick that route, probably leaving Columbus at noon Saturday. I re-arranged the map, and may skip the northern section near Newark to shave 45 minutes off the ride at the cost of riding on I-70 to 668 to save time and fuel due to empty wallet and time constraints from leaving at noon.

I chopped the E-NE portion of the route in order to hit 377 south off of 78, and take that down to the heart of the Triple Nickel, and then back north to 668, riding on Rt 555 for quite some time.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=OH-668+S%2FBrownsville+Rd&daddr=OH-668+S+to:OH-78+E%2FOH-78+Scenic+E+to:OH-78+E%2FOH-78+Scenic+E+to:Marion+St+to:39.5997719,-81.9918938+to:OH-555+N+to:OH-669+W+to:S+Columbus+St&hl=en&ll=39.620499,-82.013626&spn=0.430004,0.617294&sll=39.712565,-82.092995&sspn=0.858859,1.234589&geocode=FSBdYQIdKd0Y-w%3BFX4jXAIdtpsX-w%3BFRzDXAIdv1Ie-w%3BFaTvXAIduFwe-w%3BFcOTWgId2tUe-w%3BFZs-XAIdK-cc-ylJPnJqoRtIiDGa7goWvY2Bfg%3BFWtLXgIdbDMc-w%3BFWY9XwIdwaEY-w%3BFRpoXwIdjTYY-w&t=h&mra=ls&via=5&z=11

I COULD REALLY USE SOME SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE THERE ARE GAS STATIONS ON THIS ROUTE!!!

I'm bringing a small can in my saddlebags just in case. One friend that may come along has a 1977 Kaw KZ1000->1132cc gas guzzling grizzly beast, he'll be the tester to see if gas stops are too sparse!

See your 77 GS 750 in your sig, I used to have a 77 550.....oh how I wish I had kept that jewel.:nono:

Mine looked just like this......

77gs550.jpg

My wife traded her first bike, a big heavy Honda SilverWing, for a ratty old 77 GS550B just like in the picture, but flat black rat look on the fender and tank. Wrenching on that got me into ditching my CB750 and Royal Enfield plans for a GS750, after familiarizing myself quite well with the old Suzuki's!

I just yanked off a GS650 shafty top end (cylinders pistons head cams) from Rice Paddy to swap onto her original 1977 550 with worn piston rings (anyone need a nice 78 550 engine?). Going from a tweaked (jets+DynaIgniton+K&N+glasspacks) 550cc 8.8:1 compression 60-ish hp engine that's real fun to ride, up to 673cc's 9.4:1 compression with same intake/exhaust mods and bigger jets & needles, should boost it to 80+hp easy, will be a blast!

Got a 310mm CBR1100 Blackbird front rotor and Kaw Ninja dual piston Tokico brake caliper to retrofit to the GS single disc for in anticipation of the added power! Need a rear disc wheel like my buddy's 78 GS550 has, have GS1100 rear disc setup that came with an 1100E alloy swingarm that I got for my 750, hope to find a wheel to swap those brakes onto hers someday. Great bikes! the GS750 & GS1000 were the best handling bikes of the 70's, and GS1000 was the fastest bike in the world in that decade!

Edited by Chuck78

I really wanna do that route on US62 to Millersburg then south on many of the awesome looking roads around there, but the DreamRide2012 google map I found made it too easy for me to pick that route, probably leaving Columbus at noon Saturday. I re-arranged the map, and may skip the northern section near Newark to shave 45 minutes off the ride at the cost of riding on I-70 to 668 to save time and fuel due to empty wallet and time constraints from leaving at noon.

I chopped the E-NE portion of the route in order to hit 377 south off of 78, and take that down to the heart of the Triple Nickel, and then back north to 668, riding on Rt 555 for quite some time.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=OH-668+S%2FBrownsville+Rd&daddr=OH-668+S+to:OH-78+E%2FOH-78+Scenic+E+to:OH-78+E%2FOH-78+Scenic+E+to:Marion+St+to:39.5997719,-81.9918938+to:OH-555+N+to:OH-669+W+to:S+Columbus+St&hl=en&ll=39.620499,-82.013626&spn=0.430004,0.617294&sll=39.712565,-82.092995&sspn=0.858859,1.234589&geocode=FSBdYQIdKd0Y-w%3BFX4jXAIdtpsX-w%3BFRzDXAIdv1Ie-w%3BFaTvXAIduFwe-w%3BFcOTWgId2tUe-w%3BFZs-XAIdK-cc-ylJPnJqoRtIiDGa7goWvY2Bfg%3BFWtLXgIdbDMc-w%3BFWY9XwIdwaEY-w%3BFRpoXwIdjTYY-w&t=h&mra=ls&via=5&z=11

I COULD REALLY USE SOME SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE THERE ARE GAS STATIONS ON THIS ROUTE!!!

I'm bringing a small can in my saddlebags just in case. One friend that may come along has a 1977 Kaw KZ1000->1132cc gas guzzling grizzly beast, he'll be the tester to see if gas stops are too sparse!

Be careful on 555 road has shit all over it. 377 and 78 are fun roads.