Go Bags, what to have in one

JStump

So I, like many of you, love The Walking Dead as well as Revolution and pretty much any dystopian type of movies like those so I have been wanting to build a "Go Bag" or a bag of essential things you may need if you had to just grab and go. Gerber's version has some nice things in it but it definitely is not complete. What would be good things add to the Gerber bag to make it complete.

http://gizmodo.com/5961581/this-go+bag-will-keep-you-ready-for-the-coming-apocalypse

First thing would definitely be a pistol with plenty of ammo to get out of town. What else?

food and water for 3 days

minor medical kit

old school compass and map

two or more good knives

paracord

2 or 3 or 4 shelter halves, good ones

fire starting kit

water purification

toilet paper

canteen cup and mess kit

a change of clothes

extra socks

extra socks

hats and gloves, warm weather and cold weather

camp axe maybe

edit: tiny emergency sleeping bag. Mylar. http://www.thereadystore.com/emergency-sleeping-bag

batteries and/or solar charger if needed

small am/fm radio (short wave also if possible)

one more: a deck of cards

my choice:

lever action carbine

revolver

both use the same ammo

pack scabbard, holster and belt with all the ammo loops (seal the cartridges against rain)

cheap size bag:

3-Day Tactical Bag

minimum size bag:

Military-style 3-day Assault Pack

165258_thumb.JPG

but I like this size better:

Military-style Medium Transport Pack

218142_thumb.JPG

Edited by ReconRat

^ this is what's in mine for the most part. I went with a water bottle and a filtration system that is good for 5000 gals of clean water. I have my sog tomahawk and a hand saw. dried food for almost a week. shelter making provisions, 100 ft of 550 para cord, mess kit, meds for a week, first aide kit, and at least three ways to start fire, some clothes... and some other stuff. LOL!

I have an Alice Pack with the hellcat mods (upgraded belt and straps). 32 oz Nalgene bottle in a carrier. I plan on purchasing a Katadyn Pocket filter next week but need to do some more reading and research on water filtration devices.

I have a SOG tactical tomahawk for my tool.

3 days of water and food. Plenty of paracord, fresh socks and underwear. 1 set of regular clothes and 2 sets of camo.

An aeropress coffee maker.

Dryer flint (Makes for easy fire starting.)

Lighters

batteries

matches

Basic first aide kit with a few rolls of gauze

Tobacco and pipe

A few other things.

You need to make sure that you have good clothing and good footwear. Socks and undies are probably one of your most important items.

I still have some items that I need to add but feel I have a lot of my basics covered.

Edited by Radio Flyer

And just my 2 cents skip that gerber bag it's a rip off. Could build a complete bag minus fire arms for that price.

I was going more for the contents of the bag, not the actual Gerber version. Didn't even look at the price since I was gonna build my own anyway.

lets see....

My basic medical kit including...

lighters and probably some other kind of cauterizing device

matches

gauze

super glue

rubbing alcohol

ace wrap

a ruler and a magazine

then...

a change of clothes, especially socks and underwear

food and water for several days

as much ammo as i can carry

C4

and homemade twinkies

picture.php?albumid=1344&pictureid=16804

An Alice pack is an inexpensive route to go for anyone looking at bags. I started with one I got on Ebay for 30 dollars that had upgraded straps which came in woodland. They're a little longer and thicker than the regular ones. (Shown on the left)

I ended up ordering another frame with the Hellcat mods which are molle compatible straps and molle waist strap. This set up is much more comfortable IMO and offers you to fit your gear to your pack to tailor your needs or set up.

It's an affordable pack set up.

Edited by Radio Flyer

That military style medium transport pack, reviews were complaining its too small and more for a kid.

Yes, a lot of it is cheap crap, and won't hold up. Zippers will fail.

We get what we pay for. We are now required to find the ultimate go-bag.

(I have an old Alice rig. I'm pretty sure they hold up. If a ton of stuff, get a frame for it.)

edit: Too large is what you can't or won't carry. A bug out bag is for 3 days. It's supposed to do without almost everything.

Absolute minimums. A bug out bag should come with a plan of what to do if it's more than 3 days. A bug out bag is intended for the user to join a group of people in a shelter. If hitting the road, a lot more will be needed. Especially a sleeping bag, blanket, stove, cooking gear, etc. Almost the same as motorcycle camping. Only what you can carry, between one or two people.

Edited by ReconRat

I went out groundhog hunting with two farm boys. On a very hot day. I carried two 2-quart bladder canteens on a web belt (and ammo). An entire gallon of water. They laughed at me. But not for long. We drank almost all of it. What were they thinking.

I tried to narrow down water purifiers earlier this year.

I came up with two, but couldn't decide.

Miniworks EX Microfilter, weight: 16oz, size: 2.75x7.5

Sweetwater Microfilter, weight: 11oz, size: 2x7.5

MJ might speak, she was using one out in the desert last year.

edit: oops, add a mini can opener and a P38 opener to the list.

You never know when you'll run into a can of peaches and hurt yourself opening it with a bayonet.

I have a tiny coffee maker to pour boiling water through on top a coffee cup.

I'm adding coffee to the list along with that little coffee maker.

hrm, I can't even find where to buy one now. Near impossible to find one.

Honestly, a bunch of the new coffee singles that look like tea bags will work ok.

Here's a picture of mine. Coffee in the bottom and water in the top:

IMG_1878.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

I have two Alice's left over from my service days and didn't know about the Hellcat mod's.

I've rucked for what seems like several hundred miles with the Alice rucks and yep, the straps can hurt like hell after a long ruck plus the center of the frame can wear a hole in your back - I've still got the scar to prove it from SFAS.

http://tonystactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=3

They also have all of the separate components if you already have the frame and ruck. I honestly think it might be cheaper to order a complete off ebay and then order the upgrades with the frame and you'll have an extra frame with straps to add a ruck to or sell.

• Upvote 1

MJ might speak, she was using one out in the desert last year.

I'll have to check to see what it was. Can't remember which one we were using :)

My question is, where are you going with this bag? I think that is the most important and yet least asked question when someone first starts asking about what they should put in their bag.

I completely agree with this. Your bag should depend on your plan. I think a lot of people who put these bags together think that they're going to be able to carry their 60-70lb bags for 10 or more miles, but they are absolutely dreaming (in most cases) especially if you're trying to get somewhere fast. You find that you need a lot less than you think you do. I'm a bit of a minimalist though.

SO, what's your plan stump? Are you trying to make it to another city to meet up with people? are you trying to get to the woods to survive until another opportunity presents itself? Another plan?

After you get your bag together, you should definitely try it out. I am all about doing the bug out weekends we were talking about earlier if people are still interested.

I'd like to know how MJ can hear her name mentioned in a thread...

I had a friend set up two bags for himself and his wife. They were twice the size of backpacks. The type you only carry to the bed of your truck. He was big and could backpack it. She could not, it weighed about as much as she did.

A maximum 25-35 pound pack can work out. If you don't have any practice with it, You'll find out you'll lose 25-35 pounds of body weight in the first week of carrying it, and it will feel normal. :rolleyes:

I'd like to know how MJ can hear her name mentioned in a thread...

I had a friend set up two bags for himself and his wife. They were twice the size of backpacks. The type you only carry to the bed of your truck. He was big and could backpack it. She could not, it weighed about as much as she did.

A maximum 25-35 pound pack can work out. If you don't have any practice with it, You'll find out you'll lose 25-35 pounds of body weight in the first week of carrying it, and it will feel normal. :rolleyes:

I'm still open to hosting if folks wanna come. The one we had there was only 2 of us.

I'm still open to hosting if folks wanna come. The one we had there was only 2 of us.

You mean the bug out practice weekend that MJ was talking about?

Practice makes perfect. A lot would be learned.

edit: omg I'm having flashbacks of boy scout camping trips...

Have you ever made fried eggs and pancakes over an open fire...

Edited by ReconRat