Ever get the Heebie-Jeebies?

Scruit

Got into my cage on Friday to drive home from work. As soon as I got belted, put my hands on the wheel and looked forward out the car I was suddenly struck with a strong image in my mind. Very, very clear. It wasn't just a visual thing - it was a sense of being in a place with sounds, smells and physical sensations, just for a split second:

In the image I was sitting in the car in exactly the same place I already was except the hood was all smashed in, there was smoke coming out from the engine but it smelled like coolant, there was a hissing noise and and a tinny ringing in my ears and my feet/ankles hurt as well as my chest/shoulder. In front of me was a smashed up black car that I had obviously crashed into, couldn't tell what kind of car it was but I remember it had a really curved wide hood like an Infiniti G or similar. I remember being alive but scared.

This image lasted half a second then went away but the fear stayed behind. Had to sit for a couple of minutes to collect my thoughts before driving home VERY carefully.

Thing is I've been there before, 20 years ago. Head-on collision with a drunk driver who crossed the centerline and hit me at a combined 80mph according to the police investigation. After the accident I was sitting there with my hands on the wheel looking out over a manged hood. I had seatbelt bruising on my shoulder/chest, the floor/pedals suffered from accident intrusion but I don't recall my feet hurting back there.

The drunk driver and his friend almost died, I was ambulatory (I was in a much larger car - Merkur XR4ti versus Geo metro).

Was this a flash back? Or a flash forward? :confused: Is someone up there trying to warn me about something? Or just the perfect combination of neurons fire off and associate something about me sitting there with the accident 20 years ago?

The feeling is still there - especially now I'm on the bike today. Something just feels wrong about being on the bike today. The heebie-jeebies have stuck with me for now. I think I need to put the bike away until I can shake this otherwise it'll get into my head so bad I wind up doing something stupid and creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Final destination premonition.

You jest, but.... I was behind a truck the other day, one of those F450 sized trucks, just a bit bigger than a pickup - the bed was the type you get on a Lowes rental truck with metal "fence" sides but the tailgate was replaced by a wooden 2x4! These rocks were the size of beach balls and bigger, resting on nothing but a nasty-looking piece of dimensional lumber that was clearly not enjoying it's current job. That was the only thing holding the rocks in the bed except gravity and good intentions.

First words that came to mind are; "Holy crap, this is some Final Destination sh!t right here!" Passed him as soon as I could. Pucker factor 10 until then.

i think combined with your past trauma (or whatever remains of that past trauma), and your borderline batshit crazy obsession with safety/security/voyeurism, you just had yourself a strong scruit moment.

or you have ESP, and you're gonna want to up your auto, life, and health insurance. quick, tell me the lotto numbers before you tragically perish in a hellish recreation of those student driver gore videos.

• Upvote 2

I think it's a very minor incident of post traumatic stress. I mean, you have been in an accident previously that obviously caused you a large amount of stress at that time. Those feelings and sights, sounds, etc are imprinted in your mind only to come back at a later time. Maybe they were triggered by weather, a smell (smell is the sense most connected to the memory), or whatever but I'd say it was a flashback to that accident.

sigh.... Physics 101

the energy or velocities of an impact are the sum of all energies or velocities.

example: If hit at 70mph from behind by a vehicle going 80mph, it isn't an 80mph collision, it's a 10mph collision.

sigh.... Physics 101

the energy or velocities of an impact are the sum of all energies or velocities.

example: If hit at 70mph from behind by a vehicle going 80mph, it isn't an 80mph collision, it's a 10mph collision.

yes, but if 2 cars of equal mass collide head on in opposite directions doing 40 MPH each, that's not equivalent to a 80mph crash, that's just a 40 MPH crash.

if there is an imbalance in the mass of the vehicles, then the damage will vary depending on how much energy is transferred from 1 vehicle to another.

yes, but if 2 cars of equal mass collide head on in opposite directions doing 40 MPH each, that's not equivalent to a 80mph crash, that's just a 40 MPH crash.

if there is an imbalance in the mass of the vehicles, then the damage will vary depending on how much energy is transferred from 1 vehicle to another.

I know where you're going with this. Stop it.

I said "combined 80mph". I did not say it was like hitting a wall at 80mph, which is a common myth that has been busted. He was dong 60mph, I was doing 20mph. The combined speed was 80mph. Don't need to analyze it further.

Hurt like the dickens, as I recall.

I get deja vu a time or two a month. I have for as long as I can remember. Its eerie feeling. Pretty sure I had a wicked previous life.

Same here, used to be real bad as a kid, like really creep me out. Now every once in a while I get something that is so vivid I know I've dreamed the scenario out before. Most times I do something to change the course because it always seems the image/dream I had is not one I want to have happen again. So far I've been lucky and hope that I can always change the outcome unless it's something I don't want to change.

The one that sticks out the most was my cousins pool about 10-12, family summer pool party, we were playing with this huge round like island float people could sit in, and some noodles, and the next few seconds were the exact same I'd seen in a dream previously. I actually had to stop, step away, and even told them about it. Most were too young to understand but I never forgot it.

Same here, used to be real bad as a kid, like really creep me out. Now every once in a while I get something that is so vivid I know I've dreamed the scenario out before. Most times I do something to change the course because it always seems the image/dream I had is not one I want to have happen again. So far I've been lucky and hope that I can always change the outcome unless it's something I don't want to change.

The one that sticks out the most was my cousins pool about 10-12, family summer pool party, we were playing with this huge round like island float people could sit in, and some noodles, and the next few seconds were the exact same I'd seen in a dream previously. I actually had to stop, step away, and even told them about it. Most were too young to understand but I never forgot it.

Shits freaky. I've been ask at work what I'm doing when I'm just staring like I'm in deep thought, and had to tell them that its deja vu

Wow, I haven't had anything that vivid. Maybe your brain was going fast forward times a thousand as you were thinking " be careful, road is wet and when roads are wet, people drive left of center" and then you flashed back to that accident?

Was the car started and you heard the same song that was playing ( depending on what radio station you had on, almost anything 20 years old would be on a "classic " rock station or satelight radio maybe) ?