5x10 Motorcycle & Utility Trailer

CephasGT

Cross posted from my CL ad...

Selling my custom 2004 5'x10' motorcycle and utility trailer. It's served me perfectly for years, but I need something larger and enclosed, now. This thing was built to a premium standard, and has never let me down. Several members on here have had their bikes on it on the way to and from the track! Kept in the garage over winters. Some rust, but it's all cosmetic.

-Drop tail. Makes loading WAY easier, no matter what the cargo

-Ramp gate. One hinge broken, but an easy/cheap fix for a welder.

-2000 lb axle. The more I put on it, the better it pulls!

-3 wheel chocks (installed). Haul 1 or 2 bikes. Tie down rings conveniently placed for either configuration. 4 more anchor points in the back.

-Alloy wheels.

-2" ball.

-All metal construction, angle iron frame and diamond plate floor. This thing is absolutely solid!

Asking $800, cash only. I am willing to deliver within a reasonable distance.

2012-12-05_16-24-38_885.jpg

2012-12-05_16-25-21_526.jpg

2012-12-05_16-25-03_817.jpg

Edited by CephasGT

i don't think $800 is necessarily unreasonable, it's just over-built for how infrequently most of us trailer bikes.

That trailer will last longer than I need it to, and holds more weight than most cars or small SUV's can handle - so you're limited to larger SUV's and people with pickups, who, ironically, probably have less need for a trailer than most of us.

remove the chocks and try it on CL as a landscaping trailer that will fit 1 commercial cut mower, and all the other lawn care crap one could possibly need. I got rid of my first trailer (for a profit, no less) to a kid who was planning to use it to transport his snowblower and run a little winter business.

Where do you keep getting "overbuilt" from? It looks like a Normal TSC trailer with fancy wheels and a steel floor? I was interested in this around the $550 price but you're too far. Agree with the above to market it as a utility trailer.

Edited by Gump

It's actually the exact trailer that I am looking for. I've got a 5x10 now, but the axle is below the springs, and no drop gate. I'd love to have it, but probably shouldn't this time of year. GLWS

^^ It's like redkow was saying, it's built to a capacity and durability that's more than what most people are looking for in the same class of trailer. I can assure you it's orders of magnitude better in terms of build quality than anything you'll find at TSC.

The framing is thicker, the bracing more frequent, and the welds better/stronger.

Conn, at the rate things are going, you probably have a good chance at it! :) It really is a crappy time of year to try and sell this sort of thing, but I had to wait until I was finished using it.

I think the ideal buyer is someone with a HUGE heavy cruiser (or two) and a light pickup that can't fit two big bikes, and is significantly more difficult to load.

That trailer probably weighs 600 lbs. on its own, but it wouldn't flinch with two big bikes on it.

Personally, I would lose the ramp-gate if it's going to see any highway use, but they are undeniably convenient for anything that isn't a motorcycle. A 7' aluminum ramp would bungy to the side rail and take up almost no room, but I bet the improvement in fuel economy would be significant pretty quickly.

**edit - hahaha, I honestly didn't notice what Conn-e-Rott's ride was when I posted this. The fact that he's got a Victory bagger is just about perfect.

Just so happens that's exactly the kind of guy I bought it from!

I've considered taking off the ramp gate for fuel economy, but never got around to trying it. That's one reason I haven't fixed the one hinge yet, in case whoever gets it wants to just ditch it altogether.

The trailer weighs 760lbs empty, if I remember right. And you're right, it hasn't flinched at any sort of weight I've thrown at it.

I don't know I think the price is about right for most people. I sold my 5x8 without a rampgate for the same price last spring and although nice, it wasn't as heavy duty as this one.

I'm in the market for a trailer again but I'm looking for something about half the price otherwise I'd be interested

I'm in the market for a trailer again but I'm looking for something about half the price otherwise I'd be interested

get the harbor freight folder with the 13" wheels. Should be under $400 brand new. Or if you're okay with 12" wheels, you can get out for closer to $300.

if you have room to leave them un-folded, a solid 4x8 treated deck really firms up the whole trailer.

I also recently cut a trapazoid-shaped piece that makes the triangular tongue good for more storage space. With my generator on the back of the trailer, it was actually nose-light, so I can add weight there when/if necessary. Good for gas cans, the spare tire, a tool box, etc.

get the harbor freight folder with the 13" wheels. Should be under $400 brand new. Or if you're okay with 12" wheels, you can get out for closer to $300.

if you have room to leave them un-folded, a solid 4x8 treated deck really firms up the whole trailer.

I also recently cut a trapazoid-shaped piece that makes the triangular tongue good for more storage space. With my generator on the back of the trailer, it was actually nose-light, so I can add weight there when/if necessary. Good for gas cans, the spare tire, a tool box, etc.

this has been 1 option I've been considering but I've been holding out for $200 deal on c-list. If I'm gonna spend $400, I'd rather get a 5x8 so I can haul two bikes if needed.

I really don't NEED to buy a trailer since I have the 6x12 enclosed of my dads but he's annoyingly far away and its too much a pain in the ass to push out of the backyard which is why I keep thinking to just go with the HF one so I can fold it and keep it in my garage or under my deck

I'd rather get a 5x8 so I can haul two bikes if needed.

$200 will be tough to find, but if you're not in a hurry, it's possible.

the 4x8 can fit 2 bikes, but they are much more stable with "outriggers" for your outside tie-down points.

I did this when I had Imprez55's bike next to mine on my trailer. It just moves the tie-down point further from the bike so that it gives better lateral support. An extra foot or so makes a HUGE difference, and it makes the trailer 6-7' wide, which is totally manageable.

The best permanent solution I have seen was someone who took the material they use for stop-sign poles and bolted that along the front rail of the frame, then installed eye-bolts at either end. The middle tie-down straps can overlap, so those are no big deal.

if this isn't making sense, I can demonstrate on my trailer and take pictures...

^ Or you could just buy my trailer and save yourself all that trouble! :D

The only downfall I see is the 2000lb axle my bike weighs 890lbs

I've had well over 1000 lbs of bike and gear on this thing without any trouble. Your bike is exactly what this thing was built for.