Hurricane 600 trackday bike worth building?

i-Zapp

i found an old bike (barn find!) that has no title or bodywork, and looks to have spent its last miles as a stunt bike. i think it runs and i can have the bike for free (brother's barn). considering turning it into a trackday toy - nothing serious, no plans to race, maybe just something that i could throw down the track and not care. might be a good stepping stone for zack (son on ninja250).

some race glass, sliders, and tires and some odds and ends might be less than 1000 invested. worth doing? could i get my money back out of it if i decide to sell it instead (as a track bike)?

Good track toy if you really put as little into it as possible. The cost of really making it handle well would be prohibitive, adn you'd be better off just finding a newer bike.

With that said, I would stick to the very very basics.

Plan on:

- carb clean

- new tires

- suspension service (DIY). Just refresh it, and maybe buy new springs.

- new fluids.

Forgo the track bodywork, as that will run $400. Just pick up a race lower fairing, and rig up a way to mount it so that you have a catch-pan. Airtech streamlining makes "vintage" belly pans for bikes that never came with full fairings.

then slap on number plates, and run it otherwise naked. You should be able to stay well under a grand that way, and do more riding and less spending.

Great historic bike too. the original Hurricane (F1) was a huge deal in the 600cc sportbike class in America.