I want everyone to hate me, apparently.

Scruit

Requiring locked storage of firearms not on the owner would be a reasonable law. However it is only enforceable post event. Most gun lockers are reasonably easy to defeat for a determined person and requiring a heavy safe for storage I would deem unreasonable.

So I don't that type of law having much effect other than perhaps slightly reducing the accidental deaths among curious kids.

$20k a year for an armed vet to protect a school is an very unreasonable suggestion. $40k is still underpaid.

The school marshal concept could(should) be opened to janitors, office assistants, teachers aids and other non teachers within the school building. as mentioned of the suggested changes this is the only one that would have made an impact on the Conn tragedy.

Craig

Shit!! I never thought that I would agree with a Steelers fan.

I disagree in principle with any further restrictions on guns for this simple reason - 50 years ago guns were cheap, plentiful, able to be bought and ordered by mail, and few people if any locked them in industrial safes or with super child-proof locks. Most people had them in closets and open cabinets. Children brought rifles to school for rifle club, or hunting after class was out.

School shootings, and youth violence in general, was rare compared to today.

It ain't the guns, and the more we focus on the tools the further we get away from the real issues.

Yeah, draconian restrictions might even make a dent in GUN violence, but it just shifts it (see England), while never addressing WHY people are going off the reservation.

It's playing into the hands of people like Magz, who believe guns are imbued with evil spirits that compel people to act out violently by holding them or having access to them.

That's just bad thinking to vilify and politicize inanimate objects.

• Upvote 2

I go back to my defensive riding analogy. Doesn't matter if it's someone else's fault when you're dead, so you have to take reasonable steps to account for them.

Banning motorcycles would not be reasonable, but requiring helmets is easier to justify.

I go back to my defensive riding analogy. Doesn't matter if it's someone else's fault when you're dead, so you have to take reasonable steps to account for them.

Banning motorcycles would not be reasonable, but requiring helmets is easier to justify.

I don't like either solution... and they aren't quite analogous

when riding a motorcycle, whether you wear a helmet or not only affects your own well being...

when out at a particular public function, having a gun, or not, could affect everyone/anyone.

I don't like either solution... and they aren't quite analogous

when riding a motorcycle, whether you wear a helmet or not only affects your own well being...

when out at a particular public function, having a gun, or not, could affect everyone/anyone.

Look at it he other way - Having someone to blam (the driver) is of not value when the biker is dead nor will is do anything to stop future idiots - you cannot legislate away bad driving, therefore bikers have to inconvenience themselves with tons of safety gear to account for the occasional 4-wheeled moron.

Having someone to blame (the shooter) is of no consolation to the families of those killed nor will it do anything to prevent futures shooting - you cannot legislate away murderous intent - therefore the rest of us have to inconvenience ourselves with gun restrictions. (no full auto, NICS checks at gun stores etc)

Having someone to blame (the shooter) is of no consolation to the families of those killed nor will it do anything to prevent futures shooting - you cannot legislate away murderous intent - therefore the rest of us have to inconvenience ourselves with gun restrictions. (no full auto, NICS checks at gun stores etc)

Collective responsibility is a fascist concept, especially when justifying infringement on civil liberties. I think it's absurd for us to pay for the "what ifs" and misdeeds of others in order for us to own or possess legal, constitutionally protected items.

Especially in cases like the recent shooting where 41 existing laws were broken, including theft and possession of guns - and the knee-jerk response is to enact more laws?

That's the definition of insanity, and it neither keeps anyone safe nor prevents the violence from re-occurring.

We don't need more laws, we need fewer restrictions on the law abiding to protect themselves. Gun ownership is at a record high, CCW laws widening and carrying at an all time high, and violence is going down not up.

Edited by swingset

So can I go out and buy a lower receiver now and buy the rest of the parts later and make myself a preban ar15? The lower receiver it the "gun" and everything else is just "parts"...

Edited by Scruit

So can I go out and buy a lower receivers now and buy the rest of the parts later and make myself a preban ar15? The lower receiver it the "gun" and everything else is just "parts"...

That's the way it was the last time, but not sure what is happening now. Yet.

So can I go out and buy a lower receiver now and buy the rest of the parts later and make myself a preban ar15? The lower receiver it the "gun" and everything else is just "parts"...

I would assume so. Since the lower is "the gun" in the feds' eyes. I would buy several magazines right now, too. I think that's what'll disappear first.

It's playing into the hands of people like Magz, who believe guns are imbued with evil spirits that compel people to act out violently by holding them or having access to them.

Do you even read my responses? or just assume everything I write doesn't mean what it means, it means whatever is the opposite of your viewpoint?

Guns have no voodoo powers, what they do have is the power to cause instantaneous death of perfectly healthy human beings with very little physical effort. They make someone's death a split second decision regardless of your mental/emotional state. They compound bad impulse decisions and simple misunderstandings with lethal consequences.

Edited by magley64

Ok...say we make "mandatory locked safes" our new law. Father of the year decides that's bullshit. Teenager takes his gun and shoots himself' date=' accidentally.

Exactly what did you prevent? If the thought that your child could lose his life by obtaining your firearm when you aren't home isn't enough to cause you to tighten your defenses, what makes you think a few months in jail will make you think twice?[/quote']

I bet it compels a few law abiding citizens to follow suit (not all of them, surely) But it's kinda like marijuana laws. Some will do it anyway, some won't do it either way, and some would do it if it were legal, and they didn't have to risk their job/livelihood to try it. (btw I'm in the third group there)

Do you even read my responses? or just assume everything I write doesn't mean what it means, it means whatever is the opposite of your viewpoint?

Guns have no voodoo powers, what they do have is the power to cause instantaneous death of perfectly healthy human beings with very little physical effort. They make someone's death a split second decision regardless of your mental/emotional state. They compound bad impulse decisions with lethal consequences.

I'd argue that purchasing, loading and carrying the gun makes it more than a split-second decision unless you are talking about concealed carry. Gun crimes by concealed carry holders are proportionally closer to "unheard of" than "common".

Edited by Scruit