Maybe time for a new bike?

Buckeye4Life

So i started riding this past spring, and I started out on a 2008 GS500F. I've got a season under my belt, and I feel like it's time to move up and get a new bike. I'd really like to start looking into getting a Harley, but my budget's pretty tight.

Any suggestions on bikes that i can get for under $7,000 that will work on a 15 minute commute to school as well as a 3 hour ride to my parents' house on the weekends?

If anyone's interested I'm about 6'1", 230 if that makes a difference.

So i started riding this past spring, and I started out on a 2008 GS500F. I've got a season under my belt, and I feel like it's time to move up and get a new bike. I'd really like to start looking into getting a Harley, but my budget's pretty tight.

Any suggestions on bikes that i can get for under $7,000 that will work on a 15 minute commute to school as well as a 3 hour ride to my parents' house on the weekends?

If anyone's interested I'm about 6'1", 230 if that makes a difference.

Suzuki Vstrom 650 or 1000, and within your price range. Why would you want a Harley, just curious?

Well a big reason for wanting a Harley is that i want a lot more comfort that comes along with a cruiser. I sat on a guy who i consider my mentor's Fat Bob Lo and i fell in love with it. I wanna do some longer distance touring this summer with some buddies and making that jump to a cruiser has a certain... appeal to it. I am not against something like a Shadow, M109R, Vulcan, or V-star, either.

It doesn't help the sport bike track's case that i herniated one of my discs at 17. A lot of comfort is a requirement, and the GS isn't as comfortable as I had hoped for that ride to my parents'

Cruisers are not more comfortable, they just give the illusion that they are. A Standard, sport tourer or an ADV style is typically the bike to go with for long in the seat comfort, and that means especially for long distance comfort. Cruisers are so myopic and are beyond boring IMHO, but maybe they are the right choice for you.

I'm not a fan of sports tourers really, and adventure bikes aren't my thing at all. I just want to sit as upright as possible, really. I've been looking at something like a Nightster 1200 with a mustang seat. I don't want a full- dresser or anything, but something where i can get the bars up a bit higher would do wonders for my back i think.

Cruisers are not more comfortable, they just give the illusion that they are. A Standard, sport tourer or an ADV style is typically the bike to go with for long in the seat comfort, and that means especially for long distance comfort. Cruisers are so myopic and are beyond boring IMHO, but maybe they are the right choice for you.

I guess maybe Trying to think to myself, "If it's good enough for a 60 year old man to sit in for hours on end, I hope i can hold up for it."

My .02. Get a triumph. Speed triple is upright and comfortable. If you want something alittle more sporty buy a set of clip ons for it. It becomes an entirely diffeent bike. Harley set won't bust your chops any either.

Asking for opinions here isn't a bad idea, but please dont be offended or feel you need to defend your choice. Its your money and your ass on it we are just thowing out options. Hell I love the VFR I also like the K1200s. I will get one of them one day.

Harley does make very pretty bikes.

Haters...... I loved my sportster......however, comfort was not its strong point. Your current bike will be far more comfortable. The feet-forward position will place all of the shock right on your tailbone. Cruiser comfort, for me, is in the floorboards. Having the ability to adjust leg position while riding is the key.

I've got a herniated disc myself ( miserable pain this fall) riding my Vstrom (adv bike) is more comfortable than driving a car.

If you improve your flexibility and maintain your posture while riding the GS should be pretty comfortable. An ADV bike will be a little better riding position.

As for cruisers some are fairly comfortable but most are not good if you have a back problem as they force sitting on your tail bone. I don't think any of the Sporters are very comfortable and that is the only Harley model you are likely to find at a decent price. However Japanese cruiser are usually pretty plentiful on the used market and can usually be found at good prices. Just be careful about temporary comfort of sitting on the bike vs what it will be like to sit in that same position for hours. Often a less comfortable initial position is better long term.

As a warning the members of this site are primarily sport bike or standard riders, not many cruiser riders. So the opinions may be more anti cruiser than the average. Of course I agree with the majority opinion on cruisers here but others may not.

Craig

Well a big reason for wanting a Harley is that i want a lot more comfort that comes along with a cruiser. I sat on a guy who i consider my mentor's Fat Bob Lo and i fell in love with it. I wanna do some longer distance touring this summer with some buddies and making that jump to a cruiser has a certain... appeal to it. I am not against something like a Shadow, M109R, Vulcan, or V-star, either.

I had this same debate not to long ago. Find the "considering swapping bikes" thread. ended up getting a monster instead of a cruiser. couldn't be happier I did.

As already stated...cruisers can be comfortable, but maybe not the way you think. You are sitting upright, so you need that large seat to really cushion your tailbone. You are upright compared to a sportbike, and for most people that changes how the wind affects their lower back on a long ride(without a full windscreen). The way you lean INTO the wind on a sportbike is superior to the way tou BRACE for the wind on a cruiser(without a full windscreen). Also mentioned are highway boards...they are brilliant!

All that said, you can't go wrong with a used Japanese cruiser...Shadow, Boulevard, etc.

Most of us don't ride cruisers because cruisers suck :)

They aren't safe IMO. Quick action stopping or turning are hard to find in a classic cruiser look. But if it is what you want, get one, although I wouldn't buy any nice bike unless I had a garage to keep it in. It sounds like you already have a great bike for your current situation, unless you find it unbearable to ride.

Biggie

Setting aside the predictable responses (OP: "I think I want a Harley" yields "Harleys suck" which leads to "Buy a ___ because I own a ___."), there are a few good suggestions in this thread, IMO.

First, it may be difficult given your situation, but you really need to try to get a significant test ride on a bike, because of your back issue. What feels comfortable for a few minutes sitting in the driveway is not necessary comfortable after two hours on the road when you hit a pothole. The seat may be comfy, but if you have three inches of suspension travel, you can take some pretty hard jolts to the spine on a rough road. Cruisers built to have extra low seat heights are probably a bad choice in your case. Second, consider that a more extreme cruiserish position, with forward controls, for example, puts all your weight on your ass. You can't take pressure off by using your legs. Anyone with physical issues may find that comfort issues that aren't apparent when sitting in the showroom can be true pains on the road. Good luck with your search.

• Upvote 1

$7k Harley = sportster....to get a bigger Harley you'd be looking at $10k used with less than 20k miles.... Touring Harley is gonna cost $17k used...I've traveled to Lake Cumberland Kentucky with my Harley that I've lowered...brutal trip, no wind protection, no suspension, brutal...and I'm 5'8".... My ZX9r is lots more comfortable traveling long distance, plus lots more speed. . . . .

Edited by Limenine9r