Maybe time for a new bike?

Buckeye4Life

Cruisers really aren't more comfortable than your GS500...speaking from experience, especially a Sporty. Now if you are looking at a Goldwing or a Street/Ultra Glide then yeah, but they are out of your price range. I went to the dark side for a while (Honda Sabre 1100)...not too much longer I was happily back on a Ninja 650. To me, a sport tourer like a FJR or ST1300 or even a mild sportbike like a Ninja 650/Versys/FZ6/FZ1..etc would be a MUCH better choice.

I also have a bad back, degenerative disk disease, spondylolisthesis, and minor spina bifida occulta. I had a ex500 and a ninja 650r both were horrible to ride 1 hour tops and I wanted off then I got the zx14 and it was 100 times more comfortable it had me leaned forward more less pressure on lower back. I could actually ride about 130-150 miles before I had to get off and stretch. Now with the vision I can ride all day I rarely even get off the bike at gas stops I just fuel and go. To me my vision is like sitting in a recliner it is very comfy and handles great. The biggest thing is find what is comfortable for you not what is comfortable to someone on here or your buddy. Hit the dealers for test rides and demo days.

$7k Harley = sportster....to get a bigger Harley you'd be looking at $10k used with less than 20k miles.... Touring Harley is gonna cost $17k used...I've traveled to Lake Cumberland Kentucky with my Harley that I've lowered...brutal trip, no wind protection, no suspension, brutal...and I'm 5'8".... My ZX9r is lots more comfortable traveling long distance, plus lots more speed. . . . .

This man speaks the truth! I went from your standard cruiser to my current bike and the sport position is much more comfy for those long hauls.

The biggest thing is find what is comfortable for you not what is comfortable to someone on here or your buddy. Hit the dealers for test rides and demo days.

Exactly.

We can go on for days about how we find a cruiser more comfortable, or a sport-touring bike more comfortable, or a medieval torture rack more comfortable and it doesn't mean squat to a guy with a bad back. He has to find a riding position that works for his particular situation.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not a fan of sports tourers really, and adventure bikes aren't my thing at all. I just want to sit as upright as possible, really. I've been looking at something like a Nightster 1200 with a mustang seat. I don't want a full- dresser or anything, but something where i can get the bars up a bit higher would do wonders for my back i think.

Don't let them pesuade you away from cruisers. They are perfectly practical and just fine for long distances. Besides, you have to ride it and be happy with your choice. Don't discount the sport-tourers as the forward leaning weight bias and feet under you can go along way for a bad back. Adventure bikes are equally as good as sport tourers with less lean.

Most of these guys are vertically challenged anyway and fit on what comes out of Japan. So they don't know what it is like to have an inseam greater than their height and how cramped a Japanese bike can be. :D

My other advice is don't get a bike with forward controls, like an 8-Ball or nightster. Too much pressure on your butt and back. This can make for painful long distance riding (some may not mind).

Sport Tourers (Kawi Concours, BMW R or K series, Triump Sprint, ...) are all examples of bikes that would fit your descpription.

Used Harley Road Kings or Heritage Classics would work - though you might have to get a bit closer to $10k.

Metric Cruisers (Honda Shadow, Vulcan, Roadstar) might work and should be in your price range. You won't know until you sit on them.

Get to the bike show and see what is out there. Then, just find older used models of the bikes you like.

Edited by Revelstoker

Does anybody know anything about the Victory Vegas 8- Ball?

My bothers got one I've ridden hundreds of miles on it. They aren't that comfortable but I think it has to do with the fact the stock seat sucks. I'm much more comfortable on my Triumph because my weight is off my tail bone. Plus my arms/hands got tired from holding up my arms. At shoulder height. He thinks its the most comfortable bike he's ever ridden...

if your not opposed to something semi sporty i have a honda superhawk 996 for sale

3100 miles, immaculate, i'm asking $4000 obo

http://s66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/optimoprime/superhawk/

01_zps3f97b6a4.jpg

04_zpsbda89a4d.jpg

your welcome to come check it out and see if it works for your back.

Thats a nice, clean lookin ride with ultra low miles. I've ridden a friends years ago and it wasn't nearly as racey of a feel compared to the YZF I had at the time, but a beasty fun bike all the same.

Have you tried bar risers, drop pegs, or seat cushion options to improve the feel of your 500? Would save you money spent on a different bike now so you can save more towards something you'd really want at a better time to buy

Have you tried bar risers, drop pegs, or seat cushion options to improve the feel of your 500? Would save you money spent on a different bike now so you can save more towards something you'd really want at a better time to buy

The only bad thing about the GS-F is that it's pretty hard to find aftermarket stuff. With the fairing, risers won't hold the bars because it only has about 1-1/2" of wiggle room at full lock between the tank and fairing. Everything that I've seen with rear sets and drop pegs is done exclusively by guys on gstwins.com. And finally on seat adjustments, the only non- custom or homemade seat I've been able to find is a seat for about 400$ (before shipping) from somewhere in Europe.

I had a Yamaha FJR with Helibars, touring windscreen and a Russell Day Long custom seat. It was setup for touring and I traveled thousand of miles on it. Very comfy seating position with the Helibars and I highly recommend the seat for any bike you get.

Also owned an '06 Sportster 1200C and set that up with the pillowtop Harley seat, windscreen, bars that were up and back a bit and forward controls. It was also pretty comfortable and I did thousands of miles on that one too.

I have always bought the bike that I liked and modded the hell out of it until I got it to suit my needs. :)

i would say the superhawk is semi sporty compared to that otherbike in picture. still gonna be fun thought. usually if you choose comfort you also choose no performance, hawk is a good balance between the two.

anyways good luck with finding something. most likely your gonna end up on a versys or a fz6 one of those commuter/begginer bikes. other then that your looking at a sportsbike then getting bar risers and rear sets. one of the techs at iron pony has a 05 r1 with lsl bar riser kit and that thing is set up JUST like an fz1 but with real power

The only bad thing about the GS-F is that it's pretty hard to find aftermarket stuff. With the fairing, risers won't hold the bars because it only has about 1-1/2" of wiggle room at full lock between the tank and fairing. Everything that I've seen with rear sets and drop pegs is done exclusively by guys on gstwins.com. And finally on seat adjustments, the only non- custom or homemade seat I've been able to find is a seat for about 400$ (before shipping) from somewhere in Europe.

Last I checked, isn't there a naked version of the GS500? Would it be worth finding parts off one of those and transfering them to your bike?

I don't know if your windscreen is of much help on your travels but if you don't think you'd miss it, you can ditch it and get a round headlight with handlebars.

It's just a cheap suggestion and would cost you less than buying a while new bike.

I think up until '02 it was the GS500e, which was naked. Now what's the kind of comfort i could find on something like an R6 or GSX-R 600 or 750 or something. something i still dont like about the gs is that it is a starter bike and is underpowered in my opinion.

The truth comes out! I'm still rather inexperienced, but I've had it ingrained in my head that power is not speed...

Sure, get a busa, and fly down the highway at 200mph, but then try to turn.

Actually, the flying couch might be more comfortable for you.

I had a ninja 650 for a year, then an r6, and i'm soon buying a triumph. I've ridden a buell blast, S1, and a sportster. The Blast was by far the comfiest thing my butt touched. Minus the giant aftermarket air filter stabbing my knee, but that wouldn't be your problem. Blast's are 500cc thumpers though, so not enough gogo juice for you...

I agree on the cruisers taking leg suspension out of the mix. And that's bad.

Comfort, power, price. Pick 2. :D

bump up th $$ range a bit and pick up a brand new Honda NC700x. No cruiser or speeding bullet but it is a torquey commuter type bike, capable of doing longer distances and delivering 80MPG. Upright riding position, feet underneath and should be back friendly.

Honda-NC700X.jpg

I have this in the garage rode it on the last warm spell we had and I LOVE it, alot more get up than the 250 and just as nimble,but I do tend to go through the gears quickly. Got mine brand new from ASK at just a littel over $6200.

Edited by Kmanlyst

bump up th $$ range a bit and pick up a brand new Honda NC700x. No cruiser or speeding bullet but it is a torquey commuter type bike, capable of doing longer distances and delivering 80MPG. Upright riding position, feet underneath and should be back friendly.

Honda-NC700X.jpg

I'm going to have to be honest, aesthetics are something that i would like to look for in a bike and no offence to anyone on here, but i think those are ugly as sin. I know they're getting to be more popular and they're really comfortable, but i'm a single man and i don't think that would seal the deal with any of the ladytypes who're into motorcycles.