2013 Assault Weapons Ban Summary

Scruit

:rolleyes: You really think our current administration has that big an influence over Egyptian politics?...

let's see:

we (the U.S.) had been paying off Mubarak since the '79 Camp David Accords, about $1.5 B / year.

once the so-called 'Arab Spring' started, we (DearLeader, via Ms. H.R. Clinton) told the Egyptian Army to step aside - "the Muslim Brotherhood are moderates", she said.

there was a congressional resolution to hold off on the annual $1.5B payoff until it was determined whether/if the Brotherhood were allies. That resolution was defied and the money was sent. Wonder if the embassy would have been attacked if Morsi had not already received the payoff - in other words, would he have played nice if he didn't already get his allowance?

reminiscent of Carter/Ayatollah Khomeini pact. we see how well that worked out.

so, to answer your question: Yes, I do think the current administration played a very large part in getting Morsi/the Muslim Brotherhood into office.

Have you seen our suicide numbers?

I know from the people I deal with 6 days a week, that 9.5 outta 10 that threaten or have attempted suicide in the past are on some type of mind altering medication.

Is that correlation or causation, though? A subset of people who are depressed go on anti-depressants. A subset of people who are depressed desire to kill themselves. Is the desire to kill yourself caused by the depression or the anti-depressant?

Time Magazine - Top Ten Legal Drugs Linked to Violence

Five are antidepressants:

10. Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) An antidepressant which affects both serotonin and noradrenaline, this drug is 7.9 times more likely to be associated with violence than other drugs.

9. Venlafaxine (Effexor) A drug related to Pristiq in the same class of antidepressants, both are also used to treat anxiety disorders. Effexor is 8.3 times more likely than other drugs to be related to violent behavior.

8. Fluvoxamine (Luvox) An antidepressant that affects serotonin (SSRI), Luvox is 8.4 times more likely than other medications to be linked with violence

7. Triazolam (Halcion) A benzodiazepine which can be addictive, used to treat insomnia. Halcion is 8.7 times more likely to be linked with violence than other drugs, according to the study.

6) Atomoxetine (Strattera) Used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), Strattera affects the neurotransmitter noradrenaline and is 9 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to the average medication.

5) Mefoquine (Lariam) A treatment for malaria, Lariam has long been linked with reports of bizarre behavior. It is 9.5 times more likely to be linked with violence than other drugs.

4) Amphetamines: (Various) Amphetamines are used to treat ADHD and affect the brain’s dopamine and noradrenaline systems. They are 9.6 times more likely to be linked to violence, compared to other drugs.

3) Paroxetine (Paxil) An SSRI antidepressant, Paxil is also linked with more severe withdrawal symptoms and a greater risk of birth defects compared to other medications in that class. It is 10.3 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to other drugs.

2) Fluoxetine (Prozac) The first well-known SSRI antidepressant, Prozac is 10.9 times more likely to be linked with violence in comparison with other medications.

1) Varenicline (Chantix) The anti-smoking medication Chantix affects the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, which helps reduce craving for smoking. Unfortunately, it’s 18 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to other drugs — by comparison, that number for Xyban is 3.9 and just 1.9 for nicotine replacement. Because Chantix is slightly superior in terms of quit rates in comparison to other drugs, it shouldn’t necessarily be ruled out as an option for those trying to quit, however.

Again... Is that correlation or causation? Are these drugs themselves causing the violence, or are they simply unsuccessful in some people at preventing violence caused by the underlying condition that the drugs were prescribed to treat?

Don't the withdrawal symptoms simply create a behavior worse than if they had never taken the drug? I thought that was the main jist of these.

No clue. Not defending the drugs, just try to urge the same kind of correlation/causation understanding that we ask people to apply to gun ownership and death stats.

So wait a minute, you're saying that people that are on anti-depressants are more likely to commit suicide because of the drugs they are on?

Do you know why people are prescribed anti-depressants? Because they are depressed.

You will also find that people suffering from depression who are not medicated also have a pretty high suicide rate.

Response I got from Pat Tiberi....

Dear Mr. Kiggins,

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. I appreciate this opportunity to correspond with you.

I am shocked and heartbroken by the horrific events that happened in Newton, CT. As you know, on December 14, 2012, 20 year-old Adam Lanza walked into Sandy Hook Elementary and opened fire, killing 26 people, including 20 children. Lanza also shot and killed his mother in her home.

These teachers and children were taking part in one of the most important and fundamental acts we do throughout our lives by educating our youth with hopes of a brighter future. As the father of four children, my heart goes out to the families of the victims. The loss of innocent lives is devastating.

This tragedy is unthinkable and requires a comprehensive examination of the facts. There are still many unanswered questions. It's time that we as a society take a broad look at the level of violence we find acceptable in our everyday lives. This examination combined with an evaluation of the effectiveness of our mental health system to preempt acts like these rather than react to them is a step in the right direction.

Many senseless tragedies like these follow a pattern; a disenchanted, bright, loner with mental health issues finds a way to damage people's lives with some form of violence. The discussion about school safety is vital to addressing these recent events. Moreover, it's certainly the time to reignite the discussion about the role the federal government has in supporting a strong mental health treatment system and working to ensure our communities and our children are safe. You may be interested to read the attached opinion editorial from The Columbus Dispatch by Dr. John V. Campo, Chair of the Department of Psychiatry at The Ohio State University and Chief of Psychiatry at Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center, who calls on Congress and the nation to get serious about the relationship between severe mental illness and violence.

I believe that before we enact additional gun control measures we must start enforcing those that are already on the books. You may be interested to know that the Brady Act of 1993 requires Federal Firearms Licensees to request background checks on individuals attempting to receive a firearm. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System is managed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This system already runs database checks on criminal records.

Rest assured that this is a matter that I and my colleagues take very seriously. I will closely review legislation that addresses these issues should they be considered by the United States House of Representatives. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. If I may be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Patrick J. Tiberi

The attached letter that was included basically stated that not all people suffering from mental illness are potential killers, and that they shouldn't be stagmatized as such. But it went on to say that the mental illness thread with all these mass shootings can't be ignored, and that more research needs done in this area. The letter didn't mention gun control at all, which I would say is appropriate considering the author is a PhD in Psychology at OSU, and probably doesn't consider themselves qualified to discuss gun control.

Edited by kiggy74

Is that correlation or causation, though? A subset of people who are depressed go on anti-depressants. A subset of people who are depressed desire to kill themselves. Is the desire to kill yourself caused by the depression or the anti-depressant?

Yes......yes.....and yes. Physicians hand out anti-depressants like they are tic tacs, and many folks do not respond well. I had 2 friends commit suicide, and the strong anti-depressants they were on no doubt were a factor. To those of you that don't see or realize how an anti-depressant can make you more depressed.....do some research on that.

Piers Morgan is a complete idiot, but he is entitled to his opinion. I doubt many take him very seriously anyways, and he doesn't seem to have many friends here in the states either. Alex Jones handled that entire conversation horribly, let his emotions run too high and that made him look really bad.

Somebody once told me Chantix was suspected to cause suicidal thoughts. I told them the suicidal thoughts are more likely caused by NOT SMOKING. :D

Chantix can really mess up some people, that is pretty wicked stuff with pretty wicked side effects for many.

Chantix can really mess up some people, that is pretty wicked stuff with pretty wicked side effects for many.

I know nothing about the drug, I guess the joke doesn't come across well on the internet. Just kinda along the lines of are you depressed from the medication that you're taking for being depressed...

Response I got from Pat Tiberi....

Dear Mr. Kiggins,

Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. I appreciate this opportunity to correspond with you.

I am shocked and heartbroken by the horrific events that happened in Newton, CT. As you know, on December 14, 2012, 20 year-old Adam Lanza walked into Sandy Hook Elementary and opened fire, killing 26 people, including 20 children. Lanza also shot and killed his mother in her home.

These teachers and children were taking part in one of the most important and fundamental acts we do throughout our lives by educating our youth with hopes of a brighter future. As the father of four children, my heart goes out to the families of the victims. The loss of innocent lives is devastating.

This tragedy is unthinkable and requires a comprehensive examination of the facts. There are still many unanswered questions. It's time that we as a society take a broad look at the level of violence we find acceptable in our everyday lives. This examination combined with an evaluation of the effectiveness of our mental health system to preempt acts like these rather than react to them is a step in the right direction.

Many senseless tragedies like these follow a pattern; a disenchanted, bright, loner with mental health issues finds a way to damage people's lives with some form of violence. The discussion about school safety is vital to addressing these recent events. Moreover, it's certainly the time to reignite the discussion about the role the federal government has in supporting a strong mental health treatment system and working to ensure our communities and our children are safe. You may be interested to read the attached opinion editorial from The Columbus Dispatch by Dr. John V. Campo, Chair of the Department of Psychiatry at The Ohio State University and Chief of Psychiatry at Ohio State's Wexner Medical Center, who calls on Congress and the nation to get serious about the relationship between severe mental illness and violence.

I believe that before we enact additional gun control measures we must start enforcing those that are already on the books. You may be interested to know that the Brady Act of 1993 requires Federal Firearms Licensees to request background checks on individuals attempting to receive a firearm. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System is managed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This system already runs database checks on criminal records.

Rest assured that this is a matter that I and my colleagues take very seriously. I will closely review legislation that addresses these issues should they be considered by the United States House of Representatives. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. If I may be of assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Patrick J. Tiberi

The attached letter that was included basically stated that not all people suffering from mental illness are potential killers, and that they shouldn't be stagmatized as such. But it went on to say that the mental illness thread with all these mass shootings can't be ignored, and that more research needs done in this area. The letter didn't mention gun control at all, which I would say is appropriate considering the author is a PhD in Psychology at OSU, and probably doesn't consider themselves qualified to discuss gun control.

Just received the same response. Sounded mildly reassuring I guess.

I've heard the same out of users mouths. At the least they got way wacko vivid freaky dreams out of it.

let's see:

we (the U.S.) had been paying off Mubarak since the '79 Camp David Accords, about $1.5 B / year.

once the so-called 'Arab Spring' started, we (DearLeader, via Ms. H.R. Clinton) told the Egyptian Army to step aside - "the Muslim Brotherhood are moderates", she said.

there was a congressional resolution to hold off on the annual $1.5B payoff until it was determined whether/if the Brotherhood were allies. That resolution was defied and the money was sent. Wonder if the embassy would have been attacked if Morsi had not already received the payoff - in other words, would he have played nice if he didn't already get his allowance?

reminiscent of Carter/Ayatollah Khomeini pact. we see how well that worked out.

so, to answer your question: Yes, I do think the current administration played a very large part in getting Morsi/the Muslim Brotherhood into office.

I really think you're overestimating a few things here. First, that the Obama team has any clue what's actually going on. Second, that the result of the Arab Spring in Egypt (which was inevitable) could have been anything other than the Muslim Brotherhood or an analog. And third, that the government of Egypt has the sort of control over its populace that you seem to think it has.