Car starting issues

smashweights

Since things have gotten cold out, my 09 Legacy has been having some... grinding? sounds on start up, like when you try to turn the key in the ignition when the car is already running, that kind of sound. Only it's on start up, and only the first start of the day in freezing weather.

My initial thought was battery, cause it was a bit hard to turn it over too. So I went to Advance, got the battery, starter, and alternator tested and the battery was on the outs, so I replaced the 490 CCA OEM battery with a new Optima Red Top 720 CCA battery. Seemed to be doing the trick since the hard starts were resolved, but now when it's really cold out (sub-32) it's back to doing it again. I tried putting it on my Noco 1.1A trickle charger to get it fully charged and still seems to be doing it. But even on a day like today where it's 10 degrees out, it only does it on the initial start up in the morning, not when I leave work at 5pm and it's still like 15 degrees out.

Any help? I'm getting kind of tired of this and I dont want to be doing damage to the parts. It's under warranty FWIW and I can take it in to the shop, just might need to pull the HIDs first.

Some OEM oil filters have a check valve to keep oil from draining back into the oil pan when a vehicle sits. If you're using a FRAM (or other) filter, it may be allowing oil to drain back into the crank case and in a cold-start situation, cause the noise you're hearing. Using OEM filter may help? Little metal parts make a ton of noise in sub-freezing temps, as well, but based on what you described, I'd try an oil change with OEM filter if you don't have one on it.

Some OEM oil filters have a check valve to keep oil from draining back into the oil pan when a vehicle sits. If you're using a FRAM (or other) filter, it may be allowing oil to drain back into the crank case and in a cold-start situation, cause the noise you're hearing. Using OEM filter may help? Little metal parts make a ton of noise in sub-freezing temps, as well, but based on what you described, I'd try an oil change with OEM filter if you don't have one on it.

It's got whatever filter and lube Goodyear put in the car when I took it in nearly 3k ago. It's a really loud, high-pitched squeal.

sounds like the bendix on the starter is freezing up, maybe water getting into it, like moisture, enough to cause it to almost hang up.

This. Motor is probably spinning a bit slower because of cold bearings, so its not flinging the bendix out as fast.

My Impreza turns over very slowly in cold weather for sure, but makes no strange noises and warms up very quickly. I am thinking of getting rid of the low cold cranking amp OEM battery and going with more juice. Subaru also has a pretty cool electric battery blanket, wonder how much that helps?

My Impreza turns over very slowly in cold weather for sure, but makes no strange noises and warms up very quickly. I am thinking of getting rid of the low cold cranking amp OEM battery and going with more juice. Subaru also has a pretty cool electric battery blanket, wonder how much that helps?

Battery first then maybe an electric dipstick. But you really shouldn't need that in this weather.

sounds like the bendix on the starter is freezing up, maybe water getting into it, like moisture, enough to cause it to almost hang up.

I had this problem on my gmc sonoma when I bought it. I took the starter off and greased the shaft and it has not done it since (over 5 years)

it was eating(stripping) the teeth off the flywheel because it was barely going out far enough. it was into the flywheel about 1/8".

there are actually a few missing chunks of teeth on the flywheel now because of it.

it was actually embarrassing to start it up and hear that stripping/grinding sound like when you hit the starter while its running. dohhh!

Edited by serpentracer

uh, yes. if not under warranty it could just use some grease on the shaft. they'll put a new starter in it.

Or... if it's not under warranty, they charge you diagnostic (likely $100), and then tell you what's wrong. Then fix it, presumably. If it's belts, expect it to a) not be under warranty, and b) cost about $150. In addition to that $100.

Welcome to the world of flat rate technicians.

Or... if it's not under warranty, they charge you diagnostic (likely $100), and then tell you what's wrong. Then fix it, presumably. If it's belts, expect it to a) not be under warranty, and b) cost about $150. In addition to that $100.

Welcome to the world of flat rate technicians.

and if you actually pay someone $250 to replace belts drive your car into a conctrete bridge support at 100mph. we don't need more idiots breeding :D