How would you handle this?

TRMN8TR

I have a neighbor 2 houses down from me that has a huge doberman pincher. As you might suspect, this rather large dog also takes rather large shits. :shit:

His favorite places to poo seem to be (in no particular order)

- all around my mailbox

- my landscaping

- around a tree that is a few feet from where I get in and out of my truck everyday

- and my least favorite, my front door steps

I have never met this neighbor, seen them out and waved a few times but never spoke. I am fed up with how he handles his dog. When they let it out, they simply open the door and let it wander the neighborhood to find a suitable toilet. For some reason my yard seems to be his favorite. How would you handle the situation?

1. Call the dog catchers when dog is wandering loose

2. Knock on his door and politely ask them to keep the dog on a leash

3. Scoop up the 20 or so piles of crap currently in my yard and put them on his front door steps

4. Flaming bag of dogshit, ring the door and run

In my current angry state, I am opting for 3 or 4.

I had the same problem with a neighbor. I went over and talked with him and at first he denied it even though I told him I had a pic of his dog doing it. I said, politely "Well if its not your dog, I guess its a wild animal so I'll be setting out fur trapper traps which will definitely break bones or mame whatever is doing it so I hope your right. He quickly reconsidered and said he would make sure his dog was retrained. It was all good for about a 7-8 months but I had to go over and let him know that the dog is back at it and the tracks in the snow prove it. He was apologetic and said he would take care of it again. I believe him and he has been nothing but nice about it.

I think you should give the owner the opportunity to make it right and if he doesnt, then you can consider other means. Its not the dogs fault really, he just needs to go. Its up to the owner to be responsible for his animal. Address is the right way and give him a chance first.

Edited by flounder
  • Upvote 1

I really hate confrontation, but I think I probably do the civil thing and just go talk to them. But if I do that, then they know I'm the one with the problem with their dog. Which would only open the door for retaliation if I do decide to go with other options later....

Is there a local leash ordinance in effect?

I'd research that first before speaking with him in person and if applicable, inform him of such. If he pops an attitude, politely inform him that you'll be calling the appropriate local authority for assistance.

If all else fails, I'd go with 3 and 4 as my next course of actions but my experience has been that local dog catchers are very effective at getting the point across.

• Upvote 1

I have neighbors who did the same thing. I told them about it and they just couldn't understand what the problem was. They said, 'If you encounter any mess, just tell us and we'll come and clean it.' I said, 'So let me get this straight. When I step in your dogs shit, I'm supposed to walk over here, knock on your door, hope your home and then hope you'll clean it up? I suggest we skip all that and you just keep your dog off my lawn.'

Of course that didn't do anything so I called animal control, they stopped by, checked for license tags (you guessed it, none), grabbed the doggy by the scruff of the neck and carted him off. I waved.

The funniest thing was that they have young girls who play in the neighborhood and I asked them, why didn't you just let him out in your nice, fenced-in back yard? They said, our mom doesn't like to do that because he poops in the yard. Tragic

• Upvote 2

If, as you state, you have had at least had some contact with this neighbor, I'd advise going to him/her right off the bat and bring it out in the open. I would certainly hope that most dog owners/neighbors would do the responsible thing and fix the situation. Worst case, the guy turns out to be a complete douche, and you're gonna have to try one of the fall-back options. Again, I would urge you to go with the 'mature'--and legal--route and simply call animal control. Please don't blame the dog; a poorly trained and controlled animal isn't to blame--it's a bad owner who needs his/her ass 'trained'.... :nono:

• Upvote 1

I would go 3,2,1 personally. If he doesn't get the hint after the poo on his porch then they are ignorant and might need it spelled out, but do it as if you are just becoming concerned about it like "Some of the neighbors and I feel that letting your dog out to poop anywhere is becoming bothersome and you should...". If he tells you to go screw yourself, go with flounder's idea, if he agrees and things don't change then option 1.

I've got a similar problem. Except he walks his dog to my yard and then back across his yard ( which is just as large a mine) to his house. It's a German Shepard So its piles are huge. I have an electric fence so my dog stays put. The part I mind the most is when I mow the lawn and run trough it. This spring it will be on his front step.

• Upvote 1

Talk to the neighbor.

If he's a dick, nothing is going to fix that, but you have to convince yourself to act like this is the first time it's happened. You go in attacking, and he's going to get defensive, even if you're obviously right.

I wouldn't even give yourself the liberty of considering payback until you've exhausted the most viable diplomatic means.

There are a range of legal and, um, less legal, actions you can take thereafter.

I like dogs. Their owners are hit or miss. Please don't hurt the dog. But be careful of it. Dobermans are sweethearts, but they're also protective. And the dog won't understand that its owner is an asshole.

• Upvote 1

I feel your pain, I have a neighbor who has 9 dogs(one of those is pregnant yet again) and they all roam and crap where ever they want. The other neighbor has 2 who also crap any where. I have talked with them and it does no good. I have tried to also talk to him about spaying and neutering. Nope won't do it, his words were" It's GOD's way"

I happen to be reviewing torts tonight. In Ohio:

The standard domesticated animals rule does not include pets. Owners are only strictly liable for dog bites, or damages caused by a dog that has known aggressive tendencies.

So your neighbor isn't strictly liable, but he is still negligently failing to control where his dog shits.

If the guy's a dickbag about it, hire a service to come scoop his dog's shit off your lawn each week, and send him the bill. Then you have actual damages established, and after a couple of months, you have established the going rate for the service, and what it's "costing" you to clean up after his dog.

Take it to small claims court, and collect.

Put down dried red pepper dogs don't like it much it will help keep the dog away then take the big bag of shit over to his door step and light it on fire.

Option 5 shoot the dog with a paint ball gun a few times it will not return, and do no real harm to the dog.

:mad: it's not the dogs fault the owner is a dumb ass