Corrective Lenses At The Track

wantahertzdonut

I recently got glasses for the first time in my life and am still adjusting to the thought of wearing them. Then I started thinking about riding with glasses.

Do any of you guys wear yours while on the track? I've heard some people raise safety issues with glasses but I've worn sunglasses for years under my helmet since I'm rather light sensitive. And I've had a couple friends get their contacs blown out of their eyes or just very dried out while riding on the street, even with full face helmet.

I can still see fine for the most part without them but I'm trying to incorporate them into more regular use.

So what do you guys usually do?

I can't imagine riding with contacts. Get some sport safety prescription glasses if you are worried about that safety issue. But I would bet your regular lenses are as strong and safe as your helmet's visor. But I am not sure on that, just a gut feeling.

I wear contacts everywhere since I can't function without them, the track is no exception. I couldn't imagine trying to wear glasses in a helmet, pressing against the sides of your head, but that's just my preference.

I've never had a problem with contacts blowing off, but I've gotten used to wearing them with the mindset that if they aren't taken care of I'll be blind. It's amazing that you'll put up with when it's your only option.

I have worn contacts for all my track days, and keep a spare set with me in my gear bag. I have never been completely comfortable with glasses in my helmet. Too much movement and depending on the frames, the obscuring of my peripheral vision.

Raced with contacts and glasses. Glasses suck. I have raced with contacts for almost 20 years and no issues. I have had a little drying out from airflow, but today's helmets have the over the nose plastic piece that seems to keep the air flow away from my eyes.

Now, I have had one instance where I had a contact get folded when I blinked. During a practice session... That sucked pretty bad. Blinked and used my finger on the straight (Road Atlanta) to get it to pop out and finished the session... The feeling was like an ice pick digging around in my eye. Fun stuff. But, hasn't happened since.

sometime i wear mine when i was too late in the morning to put in my contacts before the first session out, but even at moderate speeds where you're not tucked in tight and especially under breaking at the end of the straight, it pushes the helmet face in and smashes the glasses against my face. that's just my experience and it probably wouldnt happen with other faces/glasses

. I get sick wearing glasses too much (the warped peripherals make me nauseous) so I've always worn contacts. I have a few instances where they have caused a problem. I had one pop out entirely while riding (luckily not at the track). I am going to get lasik before the season starts, hopefully that goes well.

My eyes went bad at around 40. Never had a problem with glasses in my helmet, can't imagine why some say the glasses get pressed into your face from the helmet? Maybe the sides, but the face of your helmet shouldn't be that close to you that it hits your glasses?

Anyway, I don't wear contacts when I ride. I'm corrected for distance and it screws with my near vision (speedo, trip meter, gps, etc.) with my contacts in.

Good luck. You'll figure out what works for you.

Oh, yeah. And it sucks getting old. :rolleyes:

I wear sunglasses all the time under my helmet as I don't want to dink with carrying different face shields (clear, tinted)

Wether long rides or on the track, I have no issues with pressure but "sporting" glasses tend to have rather thin and flexible ear pieces.

My brother wears his glasses for vision for both track and road rides, he has never complained and he has a big ole fat head.

I had one of my contacts fly out last season during a race. Went 3/4 of the race near blind in one eye. It sucked. The worst time is braking after a straight when you pop up. That's when all the wind comes under the helmet and pulls your contacts out.

I wear contacts and have worn glasses for years riding even though they can be a PITA with certain helmets but otherwise never an issue. You just have to careful pressing them into place along sides of the helmet's padding and adjust them for your nose fitment which only takes seconds to do it right.

As for the contacts, other than drying out from the air flow which seems to be related to the brand I wear, they've never been an issue with the shield down (I also wear sunglasses).

I wear tight to the face sunglasses over contacts. Otherwise I think the eyes and contacts would dry out rather fast. Never a problem. Not with the new style soft contacts. Lots of practice at not letting the contacts get blown away.

I recently got glasses for the first time in my life and am still adjusting to the thought of wearing them. Then I started thinking about riding with glasses.

Do any of you guys wear yours while on the track? I've heard some people raise safety issues with glasses but I've worn sunglasses for years under my helmet since I'm rather light sensitive. And I've had a couple friends get their contacs blown out of their eyes or just very dried out while riding on the street, even with full face helmet.

I can still see fine for the most part without them but I'm trying to incorporate them into more regular use.

So what do you guys usually do?

Forget safety issues. If you just got glasses and can "still see fine for the most part," your prescription is probably so light you will have no problems with glasses under your helmet. You would probably also have no problems with contact lenses except under extreme circumstances.

As someone who wore glasses since second grade, had a contact prescription of -7.75 before lasik, and wore both through many different helmeted and non-helmeted activities, successfully and unsuccessfully, if you still have concerns or questions give me a call.

Try prescription riding glasses with Transitions lenses there are some decent looking ones you can get check with your eye doctor they will not change color in a car or if you use a face shield that is UV protected you can check out Wal-Mart Eye they have about 10 different styles to get and idea how they fit and look

Edited by HeavyDuty