Truck tire advice

granda080

Ok, here is the deal. My truck needs new tires. It currently has P235/50r18's on it. They are Goodyear Eagle RS-A's and I hate them. I also have been looking at p235/50/18s and they are extra expensive due to them being a "performance" tire. They also all had an under 40k lifespan.

I have a 2008 Isuzu i-370 (Chevy Colorado), needless to say it's about as far away from a performance vehicle possible. The wheels that are on it are off an 08 Colorado Extreme.

I went to a few places and asked but none really wanted to answer my question of putting a different size tire on the wheel. Today I scoped out a brand new Colorado that had 265/65/18s on it. I would not be opposed to that size in the least.

So questions that I have:

-Will 265/65/18 tires fit my wheel?

-Would this have any profound effect upon the turning radius? Do you think they would rub?

-I'm guessing the rolling diameter of the 265/65/18 is going to be different than the p235/50/18, which means my speedometer and odometer are going to be off. Any ideas as to how much? I also read that possibly getting a HPtune done can correct the this issue. Is this true? If so any suggestions of places?

-Any other issues that may pop up?

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciate. Here is a picture of what it looks like now.

A1987FB0-D5B6-4B78-8E83-0F04AE0CDD7D-2470-0000030148A13245.jpg

I would suggest hitting up the Tire Rack website (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/index.jsp) to do some research on what size of tires fit your vehicle. Lot depends on the rim width and off-set (altho I presume you are running OEM wheels) as to what fits and what doesn't. You will certainly see a change in your speedo between a 235/50 and a 265/70, but I'd be a bit skeptical as to whether the 50 series you're running now are OEM fitment.

You'll get far better longevity and see an improvement in the vehicle ride quality going with the taller sidewalls, and very little loss of handling....hey, your Colorado isn't a 'Vette. :D

I did a quick check and you'll see a B-I-G difference between the sizes you are talking. Your current tire has a tread width of 8.2" and diameter of 27.3" giving 766 revolutions/mile. A Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2--which is what I'd recommend based on how they performed on my Izuzu 4x4 Xcab--has a tread width of 8.2" and a diameter of 31.5" giving 660 revs/mi, which is 14% change in circumference. That's huge!!!

You'll definitely need to check your speedo calibration using a GPS if you go with your desired size. And another big reco for the BS Revos!!! A great all-around tire for compact trucks.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A%2FT+Revo+2&partnum=665TR8REVO2OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

ADD/EDIT: BTW, the OEM tire fitment listed for your vehicle is 225/75-15 (optional 265/75-15). http://www.cars.com/isuzu/i-370/2008/standard-equipment/

Edited by Bubba

I'm back to looking at tires myself. I've used a few different ones and use tirerack for reviews also. OEM was the Pirelli scorpion ATR and they were ok. They were a softer tire and went fast and were done by 30k miles though. Next I got Yokohama Geolander ATR's and got about 40k before they were done. They rode well and got better mpg due to a lighter tire, but by 50% tread the water/snow traction was really reduced.

I'll probably try Mastercraft or Tokyo next. Though I'm considering Michelin MS2 or Firestone Destinations.

I had experience with my old 04 Colorado, but it had 15" rims. The Goodyear Silent Armor's did pretty well, but lost some MPG due to it being a heavier tire.

Edited by SJC1000rr

Master craft is a totally different tire from cooper, different compound and mix. Master crafts are junk. If they're not LT tires you feel like your in a boat with them. Coopers are awesome. How far are you from the Akron area? My dad ownes a tire shop, so decide what tires you want and ill call him to see if I can get you the best deal.

Master craft is a totally different tire from cooper, different compound and mix. Master crafts are junk. If they're not LT tires you feel like your in a boat with them. Coopers are awesome. How far are you from the Akron area? My dad ownes a tire shop, so decide what tires you want and ill call him to see if I can get you the best deal.

Thanks for the offer. I'm in Dayton, so Akron is quite a hall.

I will not put anything but BFG tires on my jeep. My family and I have has the stock good years on the jeep and each set have have problems . I have had 2 sets of the BFG mud terrain kms on mine and now the rest of my family. I know we aren't looking at mid tires, but considering my last set had 50k miles on them (for an off road tire that is huge) I would say that is something. Anyways, the all terrains or the long trail t/a's have been known to last for 80-90k miles with great traction in all weather and off road.

BFG A/Ts are awesome tires but the price isn't awesome. $1000 for 4-31x10.50 15!!!

I have the Firestone ATs on my Burb and the Geolandar ATS on my Yota. The firestones are great and were $500.

The Geos were $500 also and are pretty soft. Don't think they are gonna wear well. I rotate them often.

I was told they came from the same manufacturing plant, directly from the tire distributor. Guess he could be wrong, but either way, we run them on everything from our 3500 dually/plow truck/45ft late model hauler ; my F250 ; his 2500 plow truck, the list goes on. Will be putting a set on my dads F150 this summer, and probably a few friends trucks come spring. These are all LT's which is exactly what he is asking about.... so maybe on cars they suck, but I'd never put them on cars anwyays, just trucks.

We sell them like hot cakes and anyone who buys a set buys another. I've taken mine to FL twice at 70+ the whole way, minimal road noise, wear, etc. Coursier CT's, off season tires and I prefer them to my Nitto's by far. I've run BFG's, Dick Cepeks, Nitto's, whatever came stock on my F150, and Mickey Thompson's so I've definitely got brand knowledge on truck tires and the MC's are lasting better than anything else by far.

Edited by madcat6183

I have Cooper Discoverer STT's on my 2500 Ram and have had them on a 1500 Ram, too. They're great tires, fairly quiet for an M/T, but don't expect 40k miles out of them. I've also run BFG MT's and GY MTR's (horrible balancing and cupping issues) - the BFG's were fantastic but don't get them anywhere near ice.