PSA for the new season. And a lil prayer or two

MidgetTodd

Just a reminder to think a lil extra your first few rides people. Everyone is Rusty, 3 people I know went down this weekend alone. All from simple mistakes all avoidable. 1 was a fairly new rider so it happens. 1 though is a lady several here know as well even though she doesn't post much anymore. Jess is a better rider than 3/4 or more of the guys on this forum. She rides and races, I've chased her around Putnam a couple times and had nothing for her. She's no rookie by any means but had a rookie mistake that costed her dearly yesterday. She's in surgery right now and could probably use a prayer or two even though she's not the religious type.

Triple check yourself and your bike the first few rides out.

• Upvote 1

All the noobs crashing this early in the season didn't surprise me, this one did.

Nothing makes you should your pants like dragging your kick stand in to the first turn. It's too bad her safety mechanism was seemingly bypassed. Prayers for your recovery, Jess.

Stay safe my friends.

Nothing makes you should your pants like dragging your kick stand in to the first turn. It's too bad her safety mechanism was seemingly bypassed. Prayers for your recovery, Jess.

Stay safe my friends.

I thought I seen some kind of scraping on the ground. This is why you shouldn't bypass the important things.. Looked like a hard hit but into a soft area. Could have been another 10ft and hit the gravel driveway. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

I thought I seen some kind of scraping on the ground. This is why you shouldn't bypass the important things.. Looked like a hard hit but into a soft area. Could have been another 10ft and hit the gravel driveway. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

It may have been bypassed to race as we have to take the stand off.

That looked bad, hope all goes well.

It may have been bypassed to race as we have to take the stand off.

That looked bad, hope all goes well.

It was, that was her track bike. She just put it back to street form about a week or so ago. It's been a track bike so long she probably hasn't had to lift a stand forever. Simple shit gets the best of us. Broken arm, ribs, leg. Simple shit people. Like Shawn said I expect the new riders to crash. Jess no. Shit happens check yourself, check your bike. Ride easy the first few out

So the kickstand hit, forcing her upright in the turn and then she grabbed a handful of front brake? Trying to figure out how the kickstand caused a front flip?

My initial thought was a partially engaged brake level causing the brake fluid to expand and lock the brake.

Let's hope there are no incidents during the group ride.

Frightening get off that hard and that quickly. Will pray that she recovers quickly and completely.

Be safe out there gang. We fight, bitch, and argue like any family, but I look forward to all our ORDNers making it to the end fo the season to fight, bitch, and argue through a typical overextened Ohio winter. Take care of yourselves and look out for eachother.

• Upvote 1

Damn... ain't afraid to pray for you girl. GWS.

On a side note, if that ever happens to me, don't stand around the side of the road and stare at me... get down there in the ditch with me and sit with me. Talk to me. Tell me I'm Ok and keep me from panicking... Just don't fucking move me. If I'm face down, tell me where I'm at and be calm about it.

Just sayin.

So the kickstand hit, forcing her upright in the turn and then she grabbed a handful of front brake? Trying to figure out how the kickstand caused a front flip?

My initial thought was a partially engaged brake level causing the brake fluid to expand and lock the brake.

Let's hope there are no incidents during the group ride.

I was not there, you saw what I saw. However I'm not going to second guess her actions she is one hell of a rider and did what she thought needed done. Yes kick stand didn't allow the lean, she undoubtedly knew she wasn't going to make that turn and grab as much brake as she could to avoid the ditch. Shit happens too much brake? Probably but I'd grab all I could too. Her left foot was off the peg too so prob off balance, could've resulted in a braking issue who knows. She's a good rider and did what she though needed done. Shit happens, check your bike. Ride easy the first couple till it comes back to you it's been a long off season

She will pull through, bad things do indeed happen fast. Sometimes being a really good rider can have just as much if not more of an impact on how a person rides, being really good can be bad on the street. I had a nice ride yesterday, and had no pucker moments thankfully.

Edited by Pokey

It was, that was her track bike. She just put it back to street form about a week or so ago.

On a different note, those brakes must have lots of power to flip so quickly, probably setup for track?

Lately, I have been thinking that my next bike will have ABS. In those unexpected moments it's really easy to grab a handful. I don't think a flip would happen with ABS.

I was not there, you saw what I saw. However I'm not going to second guess her actions she is one hell of a rider and did what she thought needed done. Yes kick stand didn't allow the lean, she undoubtedly knew she wasn't going to make that turn and grab as much brake as she could to avoid the ditch. Shit happens too much brake? Probably but I'd grab all I could too. Her left foot was off the peg too so prob off balance, could've resulted in a braking issue who knows. She's a good rider and did what she though needed done. Shit happens, check your bike. Ride easy the first couple till it comes back to you it's been a long off season

To be clear, I wasn't criticizing her actions, just trying to understand and learn from it :)

On a different note, those brakes must have lots of power to flip so quickly, probably setup for track?.

I don't know what set up she is running for sure, but I would say say yes still set for track just street plastics.

Even factory brakes on a 600 will do that though when you grab it like you mean it.

Abs = no flip.

Although I think in Jess' case there was nothing she could do. With ABS she's still in the ditch, just a bit slower and still on two wheels. Not sure how much that would have helped. It all went to shit VERY quickly.