WTB - Honda VFR 800 (feller post)

silentcropduster

I’ve been riding a little over a year & I own a Suzuki SV650s. I LOVE my bike but with the riding position being so forward - riding for more than 1+ hour at a time is not very fun. I would like to join the OR group ride in the beginning of May this year, but I don’t think my back or wrists could handle it.

Being that said I was highly interested in the Honda VFR 800 due to it being more of a touring bike. The VFR is slightly faster then my current bike, very well made, and is very low maintenance. From what I’m told and have researched it’s everything my current bike is and better. The only draw back is the 100-150lb weight difference & it handles (obviously) like a heavier bike.

I will be selling my bike or trading it, I will be looking to buy one after this riding season (unless I find a hell of a deal now, which I doubt). Due to VFR’s being a rarer bike then most, there is a chance I may have to settle on something similar. I’m always open to suggestions, does anybody have any? Or if anybody knows somebody with a VFR – please let me know.

Edited by thomas_cory2000

good choice however low maintenance it is not. Also, although I'm not exactly fast it doesn't handle like a heavy bike really. When you're moving the weight difference IMO is negligible to a CBR

if you give me your criteria of what you want and price range I can keep an eye out

How much will you be selling the SV for?

Here is about the cheapest VFR800 VTEC you are going to find.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/3733549524.html

I'm not sure but probably 3.5 OBO. It's pretty much mint condition 9/10. I just repalced sprockets (sun star), chain (sun star). Tires are at about 70% tread life, no rust, pads/discs are still good.

How much will you be selling the SV for?

Here is about the cheapest VFR800 VTEC you are going to find.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/3733549524.html

The bike seems to be in great conditions but I refuse to buy an older bike then what I have now lol. My price range is upto a MAX of 7k

2002-2009 vfr's are all the basically the same with a minor update in 06. The one tpoppa posted is a good deal. So buying a newer bike than you have would be the vfr1200 and good luck finding one for 7k.

This.

Do you have an '05 or '09 SV? I have an '06 VFR and it is setup with Heli-bars, lowering pegs, Sargent seat and Givi windscreen. It is a very comfortable bike for me, but I'm on the fence on keeping vs. selling. My wife has ridden it a few times, but I'm not sure it will see much use as my CBR1000 is crazy fun, albeit a bit less comfy and she isn't really interested in traveling on the VFR, which is what it is setup for...

In order to cover any distance on a sportbike, you really have to focus on keeping your body in a comfortable riding position. If you really enjoy the SV, it may be worth looking into adjusting your riding position a bit and seeing if you can find a happy medium. The VFR is a wonderful SPORT touring type bike and mine has seen thousands of highway miles and a few week long trips. It has enough weight to make it into the touring class, but light enough to really crank around in the twisties. Like Bad said, the weight is negligible when you are rolling. I had a CBR 600 F4i and you can feel the weight difference between the two, but it's not a huge deal.

All that being said, the VFR is a great bike and that is exactly why I'm conflicted on keeping or selling.... :dunno:

Wtf is a feller post? Only for sale to the fellers or what?

My first thought on reading this thread.

As for me, I am looking for something more comfy than the VFR. I've done a Sargent to make it more comfy for longer rides and that helped a ton. But the new CB1100 has caught my eye and as soon as Honduh stops its Henry Ford schtick of only offering it in one color, I'll probably buy a black one.

I'll most likely keep the VFR though since I have friends and family that visit and it'd be cool to have a spare bike to offer them to ride.

Okay. Ya spelled it closer to right this time.

I also forgot to mention a good place to find VFRs it VFRWorld and VFRD.

http://www.vfrworld.com

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com

Just check the classified sections. I forget if you have to register first or not. Also lots of good info on the type in general.

Okay. Ya spelled it closer to right this time.

I also forgot to mention a good place to find VFRs it VFRWorld and VFRD.

http://www.vfrworld.com

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com

Just check the classified sections. I forget if you have to register first or not. Also lots of good info on the type in general.

I just made an account for vfr world today. They have some nice bikes on there for sale, but none are near Ohio really.

Edited by thomas_cory2000

The bike seems to be in great conditions but I refuse to buy an older bike then what I have now lol. My price range is upto a MAX of 7k

You should be able to find an excellent 2006-2009 for $7k. You may have to drive for a bit to get one though - these have developed a following and they tend to be keepers for a lot of people. Present company included.

If you pay 7k for an 06-09 IMO it better be new otherwise you're doing yourself a disservice. My 06 had perfect mods and 2k miles in 2010 when I bought it and I paid just over $5k

If you pay 7k for an 06-09 IMO it better be new otherwise you're doing yourself a disservice. My 06 had perfect mods and 2k miles in 2010 when I bought it and I paid just over $5k

Want to trade + $1,500 cash? lol

My bike is pretty mint for being an 05, never down, full synthetic oil, rew sprockets, chain, filter, & other mod's in sig.

Isn't the sv650s riding position just about identical to the VFR?

From what I understand the S model of the SV have the handlebars that are much more forward, but not only that most of the VFR's come w the storage cases and would pretty much be a better touring bike overall.

Agree. Meant to say within his $7k budget.