Oklahoma Tornado - More Irresponsible News Reporting?

JohnG

This morning, all the news stations were making reports of 91 dead and of those 20 were children.  Now we have an official report from Oklahoma that the death toll is actually 24 with 9 of those being children.

WTF???

What are people supposed to believe anymore?  What impact will this type of overblown reporting have on the ability of relief agencies and charities to raise money in the event of future disasters?  People could hardly be blamed for withholding support until the "real story" comes out.

This is what happens now that we have 24 hour news networks with a gazillion different shows and anchors, they always feel the need to constantly spew out information as it comes in, even though many times that information is incorrect. I loathe our media for what it has done to this country, there is no need at all for 24 hours of reporting inaccurate information. They are a bunch of vultures, and we are just the carrion that they eat. 

It's best to read it this way:

Tornado in Moore, OK.  Town destroyed, there are casualties, unfortuantely some are young children.  Send help if you're able.

But I don't have flashy graphics or a ticker with useless information scrolling on the bottom of the screen.  I don't know where you can get useful news these days since it's all about playing it up while missing the point.

Thats the media for you. Just a bunch of liars who make money off of false reports. Always reporting whatever they can off of tragedies to get more viewers.

Edited by Mr Anderson

Yeah NBC just tried to explain away the misinformation as "war fog". "In the confusion, bodies were being counted twice". I call bullshit, and please wait until you have the facts BEFORE you report. Don't worry about your damn ratings!

• Upvote 1

Yeah NBC just tried to explain away the misinformation as "war fog". "In the confusion, bodies were being counted twice". I call bullshit, and please wait until you have the facts BEFORE you report. Don't worry about your damn ratings!

^^^  This. 

I've learned to take it with a grain of salt and wait for the dust to settle for anything close to official.  

I saw this morning that the death total had been amended and they're now saying this evening that they're 98% positive there won't be anymore bodies found.

Regardless, considering the sheer size of the twister, I'm amazed and thankful there weren't more lives lost.   

Freedom of Speech. If you find a news station unreliable, don't go to them for breaking news. The problem is that people are so unreliable when it comes to recounting acts that happened in front of their eyes. It's the telephone principle. What the first person says and as it gets passed from person to person, by the end it's some perverted joke rather than the original message.

Sorry, this one isn't on the media. Those were the "official" numbers coming from the coroners office. It's not the medias fault for passing along bad information. The coroners office should have just gone with the too early to tell what the number will be line instead of trying to give an answer knowing they were pretty much pulling it out of their ass.