Private Transaction Q

Bad324

So I've been trying to find a pocket gun and finally found one I want for a good price. My only concern is that he wants a copy of my CHL for a bill of sale. I have no issue showing him it to prove I can legally purchase a firearm but not sure how I feel about having a copy.

What's your input?

I would not provide copies of anything. Bill of sale? Not a fan, but not a deal breaker. Tell him that you will be happy to show, but you are worried about ID theft and will not provide a copy.

• Upvote 2

I also would not give him a copy of anything.  A CHL is not a requirement to purchase a gun here, just a valid state DL.  Your CHL should not even come into question at any time.

I'd tell him he can see your DL or go find your gun someplace else.

• Upvote 3

So I've been trying to find a pocket gun and finally found one I want for a good price. My only concern is that he wants a copy of my CHL for a bill of sale. I have no issue showing him it to prove I can legally purchase a firearm but not sure how I feel about having a copy.

What's your input?

Tell him you will let him see it, hold your thumb over the address. If that isn't acceptable tell him to eat shit and die.

• Upvote 3

He did ask for my DL or CHL. Ok general consensus is same as what I was thinking. Wanted to make sure I wasn't of base. I've had many private transactions and usually just a show of license or CHL and done

HUH, guess I am wrong here and need to rethink how I do transactions. I have always asked for a copy of DL or CHL when selling a firearm...the reason I do this is if the weapon is used in a crime and the police contact me about a murder that was commited with a gun I own according to their system I want to be able to prove that I legally sold the weapon. I also always wrote down the date of transaction for the same reason. just always want to cover my ass i guess.

HUH, guess I am wrong here and need to rethink how I do transactions. I have always asked for a copy of DL or CHL when selling a firearm...the reason I do this is if the weapon is used in a crime and the police contact me about a murder that was commited with a gun I own according to their system I want to be able to prove that I legally sold the weapon. I also always wrote down the date of transaction for the same reason. just always want to cover my ass i guess.

I do the same thing. Photocopy of the DL is stored with the BoS.

here is the reply to my email saying I would show him my DL and or CHL and that was all I was interested in:

"Since my personal info is attached to the serial # of the gun, to sell it I would normally ask for a name w/ signature, address OR driver's license #, not necessarily a copy of it, but the buyer usually wants a copy of the bill-of-sale. If you didn't want a copy I don't need the copier. 

However, Ohio revised code does not require me to ask for address or DL, but the bill-of sale will have a few questions to check yes for being able to lawfully buy the gun. All I need is your name, signature, and checks in a few boxes"

What Bowdog said. He's in the system as owning the gun. It's a CYA thing for him. If the government comes looking he wants to be able to tell them what he did with it. Sadly that day could be coming. I don't think he needs a copy but if he uses it to verify who you and and keeps the info then that should be ok. It's what I did when I sold one of mine to a private individual and actually to a dealer also. I jus want to be able to say I don't have and here's who I sold it to.

I also would not give him a copy of anything.  A CHL is not a requirement to purchase a gun here, just a valid state DL.  Your CHL should not even come into question at any time.

I'd tell him he can see your DL or go find your gun someplace else.

yeah, that^

CHL has NOTHING to do with it, even if you're a ghetto looking tattoo'd thug who when looked at it, turned it sideways and yelled pew pew pew.

ohio drivers licence OR state issued ID, I sell stuff, take a photo with my camera and get or give a bill of sale, with a date and sig, all else stfu.

yeah, that^

CHL has NOTHING to do with it, even if you're a ghetto looking tattoo'd thug who when looked at it, turned it sideways and yelled pew pew pew.

ohio drivers licence OR state issued ID, I sell stuff, take a photo with my camera and get or give a bill of sale, with a date and sig, all else stfu.

When you sell a firearm private in ohio the rule is to an ohio resident that isn't under a firearm disability. Seeing a CHL is an easy way to do your due diligence that they are not under a disability. I think that is why many people do it.

• Upvote 1

When you sell a firearm private in ohio the rule is to an ohio resident that isn't under a firearm disability. Seeing a CHL is an easy way to do your due diligence that they are not under a disability. I think that is why many people do it.

this

Whatever it is, tell him I'll pay $326.

turns out dude was wrong anyway. Told me it was a PM9 but in reality it was a CM9 so price was just ok. I'd still pay it if he wasnt going paper trail on me

I always snap a incognito pic of the vehicle,plate end, during firearms transactions if I don't know them. Least its a link if there's funny business. Or record the conversation when I ask certain questions. Depends how shady it feels.

Edited by Gump