What's The Smallest Bike You Would Street Ride?

redkow97

I re-geared the XR100 for PIRC this past weekend, and got a GPS-verified 48.3mph out of it.  That means it would be able to maintain 40mph in a city environment if I were to go through the hassle of getting it registered as a street-legal vehicle, etc.

all those hoops, the low top-speed, and general suck-i-tude of drum brakes make me think another route would be better though.

My dilema is this:

Bikes like the DRZ 250 would be PERFECT if it could legitimately hit 80mph in a pinch.  I wouldn't do long highway rides, but the option would be nice...

Bikes like the DRZ 400 are more expensive than I want to spend.  If i'm going to blow $4k on bike, it may as well be a used 600 or really nice SV...

Is there a middle-ground I'm missing?

Basically I want ninja 250 performance, CRF250 weight, and 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 price.  Does such a bike exist?

I have been thinking of doing the same to an XR100 or similar bike. I think it would be a fun little city and play bike. But even rural highways are going to be scary on something that small.

Old Ninja 250 s are not hard to find cheap and are about the smallest cheap bike that will do 80+ mph.

Dual sports always seem to command higher prices than other similar street or off-road bikes. If you need 80+ then KLX250s, WR250R, DRZ400 or CRF250L are the smallest ready made dual sports. The DRZ is probably the easiest to find cheap as its the oldest but as noted they usually are not very cheap.

Craig

I wouldn't be so opposed to a first-gen 250 if I could find one cheap enough, but the 16" wheels are off-putting...

Plus part of the idea was to have something super light to wheelie around on.

the ninja 250 really isn't that much lighter than a modern 600, and it certainly isn't nose-light.

I think DRZ250 with a big bore kit, exhaust, and some gearing might be the ticket.  That, or the same mods to an XR100, and just accept that highway use is completely out of the question.

Like I said, I was getting 48+ mph (so a car speedometer would be indicating 53 or so) with a bone-stock XR100 with 14/46 gearing and small moped tires (BT45's are a larger diameter, and would theoretically bump up the max speed 1mph or so).

But I do want to avoid building a $2,000 XR100...  I'll have to do some research on how much the street parts would actually cost.  If it's under $500 in modifications, i am confident I can find another $500 XR100 to mess with.

But I do want to avoid building a $2,000 XR100...  I'll have to do some research on how much the street parts would actually cost.  If it's under $500 in modifications, i am confident I can find another $500 XR100 to mess with.

Baja designs kits are about $500 if you want plug and play. I think that includes about everything needed, but I havn't put one together yet. You can probably do much better if you want to build your own system. 

Craig

Baja designs kits are about $500 if you want plug and play. I think that includes about everything needed, but I havn't put one together yet. You can probably do much better if you want to build your own system. 

Craig

negative, you need a stator that will runs lights.  which will be another $250+

crf150R

i have seen them for around $1500

throw some 17s on there and have fun

I was expecting them to run more than that.  Hmmm...

The 17's won't be cheap, but they also aren't essential.  Bt45's come in 16" and 19", so that would work...  I bet a 150R could be geared for 80mph and run for 10 minutes or so at 65...

My baby cbr does the trick for me. I regularly embarrass Harley guys commuting through rush hour traffic on I480 & I71 by just maintaining the momentum. I don't know about "wheelieing around" although it's 23 HP powerhouse engine will loft the front wheel skyward if I brutalize it. Overtaking in the twisties on it is not for the faint of heart. I just use it for local transport mostly.

Basically I want ninja 250 performance, CRF250 weight, and 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650 price. Does such a bike exist?

2009 Aprilia RS125. Meets 2 of the criteria perfectly. Love mine. Maybe never sell it. Quick, great handling and light weight.

I have two RS50's. one with BBK, carb and pipe. Both fun. Kept the stock one longer.

Chris

I'd street ride anything that will hit 55...

I already have a bike that goes faster than I have the nerve to wind it... so I'm not so concerned about top speed, then again, these country roads are a little different than what most of you are used to.

Smallest bike in the city with a 45mph speed limit at max, probably a 125cc dirt bike. On a Freeway, probably a 500 like the Suzuki GS500, or the new Honda CB500F and CBR500 or their NC700X is the smallest I'd want.