Pondering: Going From Sv650s To R1

silentcropduster

Do the math.  riding to work is rarely a money-saving proposition.  You might break even, but unless you are riding a VERY inexpensive bike, and have a pretty long commute, the cost of the bike, bike insurance, riding gear, tires, etc. are usually greater than your fuel savings.

that said, if you want a bike for fun, that is a separate justification beyond the gas savings.  It just kills me when people tell me they're going to buy a bike "to save money."  Right... Because spending thousands on an additional vehicle, hundreds on insurance, and another grand or so on gear is the best way to save money? 

like i said, it takes a REALLY cheap bike and a pretty long commute to overcome the investment costs.

this was my excuse to my mother (who hates motorcycles) when i reality it is a toy :mastur:

Yeah, I have absolutely NO objection to people buying ridiculous bikes purely for the sake of being ridiculous.  If that's what you want, then buy it.  It just kills me when people feel the need to try and justify their purchase as reasonable, when it clearly isn't.

It's okay to be ridiculous, so long as you can afford it.

My buddy Danny bought his first bike (a second gen SV650, ironically) and tried to tell me he was going to save gas.  I gave him the same "lecture."  He obviously bought the bike anyway, but not before trying to rationalize it other ways.  I think he finally convinced his (soon to be ex) wife that it would save him time versus taking the DC metro, or sitting in traffic (because bikes are allowed in the HOV lanes).

Those were actually decent reasons to get a bike, IMHO.  Saved him a solid 20 minutes each way on his commute, and that's seriously valuable...

Edited by redkow97

Yeah, I have absolutely NO objection to people buying ridiculous bikes purely for the sake of being ridiculous.  If that's what you want, then buy it.  It just kills me when people feel the need to try and justify their purchase as reasonable, when it clearly isn't.

It's okay to be ridiculous, so long as you can afford it.

My buddy Danny bought his first bike (a second gen SV650, ironically) and tried to tell me he was going to save gas.  I gave him the same "lecture."  He obviously bought the bike anyway, but not before trying to rationalize it other ways.  I think he finally convinced his (soon to be ex) wife that it would save him time versus taking the DC metro, or sitting in traffic (because bikes are allowed in the HOV lanes).

Those were actually decent reasons to get a bike, IMHO.  Saved him a solid 20 minutes each way on his commute, and that's seriously valuable...

lol - i didnt buy a bike to save gas or time initially, i bought it bec I wanted a bike, a toy to tinker with a hobby etc, it's just an added benefit that it does save me time and I ride it everywhere I can - which in turn does save me wear and tear on my car, which is a far more expensive investment. Plus if I want to ride an hour 1 way, it costs me significantly less $$$ in gas, even thou it does cost like like $38 a mo in insurance

Kinda wish I had test ride an fz1 before I bought el Bandito. Maybe ill sell it next spring and get an fz...

You won't regret it. If you don't mind carbs, the FZ guys all say the gen 1 is more comfortable than the gen 2. Gen 2 is lighter, more HP and has better suspension.

Don't let those carbs scare you. Mine are ivanized and are smoother than my triumphs fuel injection was. I love the carbs. I don't even need the choke. Three thumbs of the starter an she purrs like a kitten, everyday.

True story.

havent kept track of the last few pages. if youre still looking for an r1/r6, check out this gixxer....looks immaculate

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/101671-mojoes-gsxr-750/

I did see that and was pondering it! But the miles r a lil higher then I'd like. I know I cant have my cake and eat it too, but we'll see...im taking the next week or so and trying to check out as many bikes as I can.

havent kept track of the last few pages. if youre still looking for an r1/r6, check out this gixxer....looks immaculate

http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/101671-mojoes-gsxr-750/

what do u think about these?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3853016325.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3921854116.html

everyone who is interested in a bike (other than dyed in the wool cruiser/harley guys) will eventually get a supersport, figure out it's pretty much (there is always an exception... a stupid exception, but an exception nonetheless) only for squids, track days/racing and dedicated corner carvers, and make their way back to where they belonged, like a 2006 FZ1 with bags cause, oh em gee, they are sooooo handy

everyone who is interested in a bike (other than dyed in the wool cruiser/harley guys) will eventually get a supersport, figure out it's pretty much (there is always an exception... a stupid exception, but an exception nonetheless) only for squids, track days/racing and dedicated corner carvers, and make their way back to where they belonged, like a 2006 FZ1 with bags cause, oh em gee, they are sooooo handy

I can see what you mean with side bags, i can see how they can be handy lol

Edited by silentcropduster