Warranty Question On New Bike

Steve Butters

Ok I've never owned a new bike and wondering how warranty works in regards to home maintenance. Do I just need to write in my book what mileage I do my services and keep receipts? I don't want to ever have a warranty issue and have it denied based on doing my own maintenance. Also, will using t6 rotella void warranty? That's the oil i decided to go with. As of now, I've only done my first oil change.. Wil be going over my full 600 mile service soon, and change oil again at 3k (2400 miles) and every 3k after that Just not sure what if anything needs documented to keep my warranty valid.

Per the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act, dealers cannot specify maintenance items solely sold by the dealership must be used (unless they are available free of charge) to keep the warranty in tact.

HD dealers are notorious for saying that anything other than HD oil will void your warranty.  It's a completely untrue, illegal statement, and they say it every-damn-day.

I was always told that  if they want to void your warrenty they have to prove what ever you did caused the failure. i.e. changing your own oil wount cause the headlight to fall off. So they cant refuse to fix it under warrenty.

Damn from the title of the thread, I thought your bike was under arrest. Ughhh so disappointed.

This!  :lol:

Yea, autocorrect boned my title. Oh well lol.

Ok that's what I planned to do, wasn't sure because I've seen people mention getting their books stamped by a dealership

I think "stamping" your service record book is a BMW thing.  Right Pauly?

Per the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act, dealers cannot specify maintenance items solely sold by the dealership must be used (unless they are available free of charge) to keep the warranty in tact.

HD dealers are notorious for saying that anything other than HD oil will void your warranty.  It's a completely untrue, illegal statement, and they say it every-damn-day.

BUT the oil used has to meet the manufacturer's specifications, such as GM now uses DexOS oil, in no less than 3 varieties (of which only one seems to be available?)  Same for coolant and transmission fluids, for most manufacturer's and I'm sure all bike manufacturer's have minimum specs that fluids and filters have to meet.